Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Storing lenses up or down?

Hi, I have done a search, and I realize this question may be silly, but better safe than sorry

When I store lenses in the cupboard for a few months, does it really matter whether I keep them pointing (front lens) up or down or even sideway? Thanks.

08-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Hi, I have done a search, and I realize this question may be silly, but better safe than sorry

When I store lenses in the cupboard for a few months, does it really matter whether I keep them pointing (front lens) up or down or even sideway? Thanks.
I think the more important consideration is that you fully close the aperture (f/22, etc.) to reduce tension on the springs. That's the way my Pentax lenses came out of the box.

FWIW, I use a large Domke bag for lens storage in a dry closet. I label the rear lens caps of my lenses for easy identification when transferring to, and in, my carry bag - so my lenses are always stored face down.
08-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I store mine on their side to keep the corks from drying out.

Oh wait, wrong forum...
08-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It really shouldn't make any difference which way up they are as long as the glass is covered to keep the dust off and they are kept dry to keep the fungus at bay.

08-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Oh wait, wrong forum...
Haha ... it reminds me of a not-so-amusing episode.
I read from some "tips & tricks" article and duly advised my father to store part-used tins of paint upside down, I guess so the paint itself would seal any gaps around the lid. He did ... 3 months later when he picked it up to paint again, guess what the lid had glued to the floor while the tin itself came off and up, emptying several litres of paint onto his fairly new workboots, and the floor of course.

I won't tell you what he told me then
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh wait, wrong forum...
Good one!

Should we also chill our lenses in a lens fridge?
08-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Good one!

Should we also chill our lenses in a lens fridge?
No, actually it should be stored between about 10C and 15C depending on the type of wine. It should also be kept in the dark. ( a situation not uncommon for pentaxians)

the fridge is only just before serving, again depending on type.

But any way, a fridge would be a real issue for condensate on a lens

08-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I think the more important consideration is that you fully close the aperture (f/22, etc.) to reduce tension on the springs. That's the way my Pentax lenses came out of the box.
really? I didn't know that. I will be closing down the aperture on all my Takumars.
08-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
really? I didn't know that. I will be closing down the aperture on all my Takumars.
I read that somewhere - probably on a thread here. Makes sense to me anyway. The last new-in-box lens I bought, I looked - aperture was at f/22.
08-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I read that somewhere - probably on a thread here. Makes sense to me anyway. The last new-in-box lens I bought, I looked - aperture was at f/22.
Most of my lenses are locked on "A" setting anyway and the ones without an aperture ring..I think..I think..have the apertures on the smaller opening too (they should as, they work as "A" lenses with the apertures on permanent "A", don't they?).
08-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I usually stand them on their mount side, since if you stand them on the cap side, it usually isn't that stable..plus if the mount has caps that don't cover the electrical contacts, then they won't gather dust either as they are facing down.
08-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

FWIW, I use a large Domke bag for lens storage in a dry closet. I label the rear lens caps of my lenses for easy identification when transferring to, and in, my carry bag - so my lenses are always stored face down.
Face down, aperture closed. There was a discussion on this...somewhere...can't remember :ugh:

Oh wait, wrong forum...
Don't forget to rotate them every couple months
08-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I store them up inside my Kata 467 bag. Even with the caps on, when I open the cap, I can see dust on the front element of my lens. I clean it up with rocket blower afterward, I guess it's better to store them up so the dust can fall out of your cap so you can blow it out, otherwise more dust will probably gather in your cap.
08-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Banned

I know Pentax recommends that for when you are changing lenses, but what advantage can be gained by keeping a lens face down for long term storage?
08-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Something about the aperture having even pressure on each of the blades or something like that...