Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #1

Sigma 50mm f1.4 autofocus breaks after few days?

It died on me after I recharged the battery. I worked right after I got the battery in (did one test shot), but after a couple of time when I got the camera out of the bag the autofocus motor in the lens was completely dead.

And I bought the lens only 3 days ago ....

08-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Oh dear, sounds like you need to get it replaced.

I've heard a couple of cases where the HSM has died totally on Sigma lenses; shame because I love mine which are non-hsm.
08-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Igilligan

Sorry to hear that...

after all the trouble pentax is having with its SDM micro motors... I was hoping the sigmas were a bit tougher. But stuff happens, and hopefully this is an isolated incident that will not resurface for you.

We these electric AF lenses, does the camera have to be off everytime when you remove the lens. I have been guilty of changing lenses with the camera on, and I am afraid when I finally do end up with a SDM / HSM I may kill it!
08-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried cleaning the SDM / HSM contacts on the lens and the camera? I've heard of people using a pencil eraser to clean the contacts to solve some problems, but I haven't done this myself so you may want to google for some facts ... Good luck, I hope the lens isn't truly dead.

Gus, I think I've removed my DA* 16-50 a time or two with the camera powered on, and so far, no ill effects... I'd guess there's only current through the contacts while the camera is actively trying to focus (but I don't really know).

08-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

HSM on my 70-200 died after about 3 weeks of owning it, 2 of which were spent in the bag.
08-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
jmc

Original Poster
Sometimes I wonder why I didn't go Nikon ....
08-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sigma makes lenses for Nikon as well, you know. :P

08-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
jmc

Original Poster
Well yeah ...

Hopefully I'll be able to resolve it soon; I also the stupid thing to buy this lens from overseas ...
Damn.
08-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmc Quote
Sometimes I wonder why I didn't go Nikon ....
It should be more of.."why didn't I buy Pentax brand dedicated lenses and had to buy third party lenses..."
08-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sigma will fix it, and fast. They're probably the best when it comes to repairs.

However I guess it doesn't help you much, considering that you bought it overseas. And they're International isn't as good.

If you get stuck don't hesitate contacting Sigma, Japan. They've been known to help people, when needed.

If you think it's just a Sigma thing don't forget to look at Pentax with their 16-50, Canon with their AutoFocus issues, and I can't imagine Nikon has a prefect track record.
They all make products with glitches, it's how quickly they try fixing the problem that separates the good companies from the bad.
08-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
jmc

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
It should be more of.."why didn't I buy Pentax brand dedicated lenses and had to buy third party lenses..."
Well, looks like I sorta smelled it; I just tested the lens on some dude's k200 - and it works !

How hard to replace are those blown fuses ?
08-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, looks like I sorta smelled it; I just tested the lens on some dude's k200 - and it works !

How hard to replace are those blown fuses ?
jmc,
If the lens works on someone elses Pentax the chances are that the contacts are dirty on either your camera, or the lens. It doesn't take much dirt or tarnish to cause problems.
Just scrubbing them for a moment, with a toothbrush or whatever people use might just fix your problem.

If your camera isn't under warranty, and that doesn't help I'm going to suggest that you bring the camera into a local shop, where they can repair it for you. The chances are that there isn't much wrong, so the repair cost shouldn't be bad.
Unless you've taken electronics courses the chances are that you'll make things worst rather than fixing things
08-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
jmc

Original Poster
Well I tried scrubbing them a bit with lens cleaning paper and it didn't do any good.
08-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well I tried scrubbing them a bit with lens cleaning paper and it didn't do any good.
jmc, using a lens cleaning paper to scrub them, is a really good idea.... usually.
However in this case you'll either want something a little rougher, to scrub the tarnish (most likely the problem) or a drop of electrical contact cleaner on the cloth to eat through it.

Your a smart man though, starting with the least harmful approach.
08-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
jmc

Original Poster
Well, harder paper didn't help neither. I'll see how service goes.

All this makes K7 a bit more interesting lol