Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First two shots with a Zeiss 50mm Planar f2 macro

I just received this lens and thought I'd give it spin. Initial impression is it's not any sharper than any other macro lens I've used, but it's got a certain wow factor that I cannot explain. Being a Zeiss, the fit, finish and build quality is second to none. An expensive lens to be sure, but it's a real gem. Now, I need to get out and try it in landscape mode. Sorry about the "watch" subject matter, but it's what I like to do.

Larry

08-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I see what you mean about the wow factor (or rather, I don't).
08-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Banned

so you are more happy about the fact that its a zeiss, than you are with its optical capabilities? not trying to judge, just to understand. was the price worth the 'wow' factor of handling and using the lens? or was that wow factor an effect of a well built brand new manual focus all metal lens? cause I have a basically brand new preset Macro-Takumar 50 (granted its an f4 not f2) but would that give you the same 'wow' factor or, is it just indeed the 'zeiss' name? I cant say that I wouldn't relish in owning such a lens, but from all the photos I have seen, I dont think I would love it for anything more than that, since I have not seen anything that cant be achieved from the equally as well built and optically fantastic lenses I own. but then again I am a Takumar user.... I imagine it would be quite different for a DA user or someone who uses modern AF lenses from any brand.

nice photos though. the watch accurate? I always have trouble with automatics, and thus have stuck to manuals. nice watch design though. clean and elegant. very aeronautical/pilot inspired looks.
08-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Probably a little of everything you stated. That plus I have a manual focus fetish that just won't quit. Is it worth the money? Probably not, but there seems to many lenses that fall into the category. FA Limiteds come to mind. The rugged all metal construction should be worth something though.

Larry

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so you are more happy about the fact that its a zeiss, than you are with its optical capabilities? not trying to judge, just to understand. was the price worth the 'wow' factor of handling and using the lens? or was that wow factor an effect of a well built brand new manual focus all metal lens? cause I have a basically brand new preset Macro-Takumar 50 (granted its an f4 not f2) but would that give you the same 'wow' factor or, is it just indeed the 'zeiss' name? I cant say that I wouldn't relish in owning such a lens, but from all the photos I have seen, I dont think I would love it for anything more than that, since I have not seen anything that cant be achieved from the equally as well built and optically fantastic lenses I own. but then again I am a Takumar user.... I imagine it would be quite different for a DA user or someone who uses modern AF lenses from any brand.

nice photos though. the watch accurate? I always have trouble with automatics, and thus have stuck to manuals. nice watch design though. clean and elegant. very aeronautical/pilot inspired looks.

08-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, and the watch gains 4 seconds per day every day. Very accurate, just a touch fast which is normal.

Larry
08-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Oh, and the watch gains 4 seconds per day every day. Very accurate, just a touch fast which is normal.

Larry
mine loses about 10 seconds a day. but then again mine is 40 years old and hasn't been serviced or regulated since 1974. or at least that's what the origional owner claimed when I purchased it.

sorry.. don't mean to hijack the thread.
08-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm suprised it does that well having not been serviced in 35 years.

Since you've seen my photos, answer me this. On my home pc screen(1600x1050), the photos look fine. I'm now at work using a 1024x768 screen and the first photo looks distorted. Squished from the 12 to 6 position on the watch. It's as if I resized them without keeping aspect ratio. Am I seeing things? An optical illusion? This is not the first time photos looked skewed on this smallish screen.

Larry

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
mine loses about 10 seconds a day. but then again mine is 40 years old and hasn't been serviced or regulated since 1974. or at least that's what the origional owner claimed when I purchased it.

sorry.. don't mean to hijack the thread.

08-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Banned

even better since it survived the Viet Nam war.

1366x768 and it looks stunning. I see no distortion.
08-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess this is why I primarily collect pocketwatches. They don't get carried so they never need service. Just for show and history. By the way, this Oris is by far my favorite wristwatch at any price. It's exceptionally well built for not much money.

Larry
08-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Banned

I guess this is why I primarily collect pocketwatches. They don't get carried so they never need service. Just for show and history. By the way, this Oris is by far my favorite wristwatch at any price. It's exceptionally well built for not much money.

Larry
also much easier to service, having such a large calibre movement. mine is actually notorious for being difficult to service, (involves lifting the crystal) thus why it hasn't been for a long time. these Oris watches are nice looking. they have a bit of a modern Hamilton look to them. with obvious classic influences. though like most watches nowadays, a bit too large and busy for my taste. yours is actually very nice though. id wear it, and believe me, thats a compliment given my tastes and fussiness about watches.
08-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Forum Member

I guess the "wow" factor could be explained by a combination of: super-smooth bokeh, no distortions or aberrations, great sharpness and high contrast. Your watch shot doesn't show it, but I bet the colours are pretty nice from this lens too!

Very nice.
08-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on getting this gem of a lens Larry.
From what you've posted, it's decently sharp and renders tones beautifully with a soft bokeh.
Look forward to seeing your other contributions with this glorified set of glassware.
08-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You know, it's funny. I sat here with more good lenses that I'd ever use, so I sold them for this purchase. I'm down to three manual lenses left...the Pentas A 20mm f2.8, this Zeiss and the Voigtlander 125 f2.5. These along with a 2x Pentax teleconverter is all I'll use for my photography fix. Until I get the bug again. I decided that less is more in my case.

It seems like everything I do, I accumulate. Fishing tackle comes to mind.

Larry
08-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
Igilligan

From one MF to another

WOW...

Now it is time to do a fishing tackle series with that beautiful lens... lets see some of it's color... I know fishing tackle is all about the color...
08-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

That's a great photo Larry. I'm sure the Zeiss had something to do with it, but I'd love to know your technique. I tried to see the EXIF data but it's gone. How did you light it so nicely? The crystal is completely transparent, no glare at all and no shadows. Beautifully done.