Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #1

Replacement Rear Caps?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just curious if anyone knows of a good place to purchase replacements rear caps. I lose these things like crazy, I need both K-mount rear cap and Screw mount as well and my local shop doesn't carry them.

Thanks for any advice!

08-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KEH has K-mount, although I don't know about M42.

Not all fit tightly, so if I was you I'd do a little research into what fits best. Then see if you can buy 5 or 10 of them at once, hopefully getting a discount.
08-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
I lose these things like crazy.
Probably, the best place to get them is right behind you as it would be for free as you don't mind losing them..so, I'll just pick them up!
08-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Probably, the best place to get them is right behind you as it would be for free as you don't mind losing them..so, I'll just pick them up!
Not always possible, I had one fall off a 200' high train bridge once. I really don't know how I would have found it in the rocks below
That's the only time I've lost one.

08-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There are some on ebay and it would all depend on the price.
I like the ones that cover even the lens electrical contacts but not just the press-on type that usually came with the kit lens.
The twist-on, twist-off wide base type to cover also the electrical contacts..
but alas though, I don't know where to get these.
08-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just curious if anyone knows of a good place to purchase replacements rear caps. I lose these things like crazy, I need both K-mount rear cap and Screw mount as well and my local shop doesn't carry them.

Thanks for any advice!
When I need them I buy them on eBay when I see them for less than $6 BiN. I just bought 2 K caps and a KA cap (with the lip).

I find that most used lenses I buy have inferior caps (I think there must be a black market buyer for Pentax caps that everyone except me sells to) so I replace the junk with genuine whenever I get a lens.

I lost caps all the time until I labeled outside the rear caps and inside of the front caps for each lens so I could identify the lenses in my camera bag. Here's what I do now:
  1. Whether you label the lens caps is up to you.
  2. I store my camera bodies without a lens and with a body cap attached
  3. When I attach a lens to my camera, I attach the rear lens cap to the body cap (from the camera body) and slide the combination, along with the front cap, into the empty lens space in my carry bag.
  4. When I change lenses I replace the caps on the removed lens, connect all the caps from the new lens and drop them in the vacant slot in the bag.
    1. If you choose not to label your lens caps, just transfer the rear cap from the new lens to the old lens.
  5. This method works for M42 and K-mount, since a body cap is basically an imprint of the bayonet or M42 lens mount and the rear lens cap fits the bayonet or threads.
Yes, it is totally anal-retentive; yes, I had to form new habits; but I don't lose caps any more.

I started something similar with filters (separate small wallet for each filter diameter, no filters on lenses unless needed for effect) and that works, too.
I ahven't lost a front or rear cap since I started doing this.

Here's a question. Should there be a hyphen between anal and retentive?

Last edited by monochrome; 08-18-2009 at 02:21 PM.
08-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heavystar on eBay has back caps.

You might try your friendly local camera repair place. They often have all sorts of stuff. Or you can contact my local guy here in Vancouver, USA...I think he has new M42 rear caps on his accessory rack with a possibility of used Pentax brand in the back:

Knight Camera Repair

(360) 253-8181
Knight Camera and Repair Home Page

Steve

08-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i was just going to say B&H but have noticed they're all out of stock
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

KEH Rear Caps 10ea $25.00 I believe these are "k-mount" caps, not the slip on variety. Give them a call to confirm
08-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for any advice!
The Pentax web store has them new, but at a rather high price.

PentaxWebstore Rear Lens Cap B (Bayonet Lenses)

The Pentax original ones show up on ebay frequently.

Phil.
08-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #11

Try here.

eBay My World - jinfinance
08-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The best one is probably from Op/Tech, but they are pricy.

Op/Tech Lens Cap.

They also make the double, which helps to speed up lens changing greatly.
08-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

HeavyStar on eBay has really good ones--that is, if you like the Pentax ones. They're also only about a buck a piece, plus shipping. I bought some other ones elsewhere, but they didn't cover the contacts.

The only difference, as far as I can tell, is the writing on the back.
Attached Images

08-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've never lost one, as they are all on a lens at all times. Well, except one for the lens currently mounted on the camera (which usually doesn't even leave the drawer where I store things I don't carry with me).

I wouldn't dream of storing a lens anywhere without a rear cap. But maybe that's just me.