Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Value of a Sigma AF 400 mm f5,6

I have the opportunity to purchase a Sigma AF 400 mm f5,6 lens, complete with case and hood.

I'm not even sure that I need such a lens, in fact I know I don't actually need it. But I might want it...

It looks like a nice lens, but it's hard to find a decent evaluation of its performances. There's only one review of it in the database and it doesn't actually tell me much about what to expect (and the only sample is with a TC).

Any opinions? Is the lens at all good? What would be a honest price?

08-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have the opportunity to purchase a Sigma AF 400 mm f5,6 lens, complete with case and hood.

I'm not even sure that I need such a lens, in fact I know I don't actually need it. But I might want it...

It looks like a nice lens, but it's hard to find a decent evaluation of its performances. There's only one review of it in the database and it doesn't actually tell me much about what to expect (and the only sample is with a TC).

Any opinions? Is the lens at all good? What would be a honest price?
I don't know about a price. Why don't you tell us what they're asking and we can say wether it's way high or way low or somewhere in the middle.

I've seen this lens on ebay! for seemingly short money and was always kinda scared that it couldn't be any good for the price. I've got no idea why the prices I've seen seem so reasonable but looking here: Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO Lens Sample Photos and Specifications I think I should make an effort If I see another cheap one.

Regards,
Mike
08-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They're asking 150$, plus shipping (which will be steep). I believe it's the non APO version, since no APO was mentionned, but I will ask, since I'm not even sure there is a non APO version.

Thanks for the comments. I guess it will boil down to deciding if I do want it or not.
08-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes. Buy it and then sell it to me for $250!

Seriously though, it's a good lens (from pics). I would kill you to go buy it! >.< Plus 150 is a great price!

08-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I missed it, apparently I wasn't clear enough with my declaration of interest. It sold fast at that price.
08-20-2009, 04:30 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I missed it, apparently I wasn't clear enough with my declaration of interest. It sold fast at that price.
I thought it would have.
Sigma makes som decent lenses. and AFing 400 for $150... well I didn't think it would be long before it found new home

Shame, it seems like you missed a good deal.

BR
Peter
08-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Sounds like a great buy for someone. I can't speak to the quality of this particular lens but I really like the 400mm focal length.

Tom G
08-20-2009, 06:46 AM   #8

Actually, this is not a very good lens. It only ranked 1.7 on Photodo MTF testing which is not only mediocre, but borderline bad. The later Macro version of this lens is actually pretty decent. This lens also has a tendency for the lens to fog on some of its center elements. This is very expensive and difficult if not impossible to fix.

Sigma AF 400mm f/5.6 MTF data

08-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote
Actually, this is not a very good lens. It only ranked 1.7 on Photodo MTF testing which is not only mediocre, but borderline bad. The later Macro version of this lens is actually pretty decent. This lens also has a tendency for the lens to fog on some of its center elements. This is very expensive and difficult if not impossible to fix.

photozone gave it a 3.5/5 for optical quality.
08-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
photozone gave it a 3.5/5 for optical quality.
Right, and for as cheap as they go used how much more would one have to spend to get much higher IQ? Hundreds of $$$$.

Regards,
Mike
10-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #11

Location: The Worlds Only Portable City - Complete with Carrying Handle
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote

It does have issues with the adhesive used to bond the internal elements and the slightest haze or frosting effect will magnify this effect greatly and provide you with obscene contrast levels. The Tele Macro version may have earned higher scores but the non-macro marked version deserves a 1.7 because it is borderline poor and the "fog" issue makes it useless for anything but impressing people, of course mounted a ZX film camera that was submerged. I believe the adhesive changes composition and creates this "fog" when this lens is subjected to hot conditions of 100 F or higher which is easily done locked away in a car.