Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

M42 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:3.5/135mm Diaphragm Lever

I have recently acquired a M42 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:3.5/135mm. The diaphragm lever seems to be stuck and the aperture opens and closes as you turn the ring regardless of whether the lens is in Auto or Man. mode.

What is the problem and how do I go about fixing it? Any pointers would be welcome.

08-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think on this lens, you can only access the diaphragm mechanism by removing the "name" trim ring, filter ring, focus ring, DOF scale and aperture ring. Then you can get to screws under the aperture ring which hold the mount onto the lens. I'm not sure what's wrong but it will probably be back there. The other possibility is oil on the aperture blades, and moving the ring is the only way they'll respond.

Link discussing this lens and resetting focus after reassembly:

Favorite Classics / Pentax Super Takumar f/3.5 135mm

Disassembly of a Takumar that should be basically similar to your lens, including photos:

Disassembly and Cleaning of the F1.4 50mm Super Takumar Lens

Or you could just leave it as-is, since it can be used that way.
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! That should help.
08-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
I have recently acquired a M42 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:3.5/135mm. The diaphragm lever seems to be stuck and the aperture opens and closes as you turn the ring regardless of whether the lens is in Auto or Man. mode.

What is the problem and how do I go about fixing it? Any pointers would be welcome.

Does the protruding lever on the back of the lens seem spring-loaded or move freely? If the lever moves freely, there's a broken or dismounted spring or pin in the rear portion of the lens.

If the aperture responds to the aperture ring it's most likely a simple mechanical linkage issue with the auto mechanism but it can be "interesting" getting to the problem if you've never disassembled a lens before.

H2

09-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was just a stuck pin. I pushes the pin sideways a bit and it got released. Works like a charm now. This was my 1st Tak and I didn't know exactly how the mechanism was supposed to work until I got my 2nd Tak today - a 55mm f/2 and compared the 2. Didn't want to mess around too much with a good thing unless I absolutely had to, and it turns out I didn't

Thanks y'all!