Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

SIGMA 24-135mm Cameta(Ebay) Warning

Purchased from Cameta in July. It had the usual problems, menu dissappear after a few seconds, refocussing after focus lock, etc. I didn't want to chance a replacement from Cameta with the same problems and have to pay shipping again and again until I got a good one. Cameta did not have a RMA system, so I feared that it may get lost somewhere.

I decided to send to SIGMA NY for warranty repair. They received it Oct. 10th and without receiving a confirmation after a couple of days I sent an email and received response that they indeed had the lens and were testing. I sent one email a week for an update and received similar responses including one that said to give them more time.

Nov. 7th I received an email stating that they are waiting for parts from Japan and it would be a couple of weeks until they get them! This is unsatisfactory. I presume that it will be a couple of more weeks after that they will complete the repair. They did offer to send me a lens as a loner if I were a professional and met a certain criteria that they would decide. I declined, mostly because I did not want to be responsible for any damages or theft to their loner lens.

The only person I have a name that I have been contacting is Rory. He has been polite, but not very helpful. I am posting this to inform you all of the quality of product and service that Cameta and SIGMA are providing.

I will keep you updated to this situation if requested.

Jon

11-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The Sigma 24-135mm lens from Cameta is a hit or miss lens (usually affecting the DS, although it works perfectly fine on mine); a simple search here or at DPR will reveal that and I'm sure you knew that from your second sentence. Knowing the possible problems, you can't be too angry about quality. If you were expecting great quality from a $150 Sigma lens when MSRP is much higher, I really don't know what to tell you. Maybe spend some more for a proven lens and perhaps you won't be disappointed. Cameta has many great reviews for service; personally I have dealt with them numerous times and every transaction has been smooth. And many others have good transactions as well. I can't say anything about Sigma's service as I never dealt w/ them, but hopefully everything works out for you.