Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Would LOVE some help.....

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum, looks like a GREAT place for info and advice from fellow Pentaxians. I have owned a Pentax K100D super for about a year now. It came with the kit lenses and then I bought the 50mm 1.4(which I LOVE!!!) Anyways, I just came across an amazing deal on an old pentax and three lenses, and purchased them.

Here's the lenses etc

Pentax ME Super camera and accessories.
- Pentax 40-80mm lens
- Pentax 80-200mm telephoto lens
- Pentax 50mm lens
- 2X Teleconverter
- 200S flash
filters etc

Ok, so I am still pretty new to photography, and I have some questions about the lenses.

1. I know that non digital lenses equal a different focal length in digital (hope I'm making sense.. lol) so what do these lenses equal in digital format??

2. What are each of these lenses (macro, wide angle???)

3. What are the best uses for each of these lenses? I guess by that I mean is one better for landscape vs portrait etc.

4. Just out of curiousity , what would you pay for all the gear I listed?

I know that's alot of questions, but I sure appreciate any info! Looking forward to getting to know more of you on here! THANK YOU!

08-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lenes are "stated focal length x 1.5"
so, 40 - 80 becomes 60 - 120.

- Pentax 40-80mm = normal(ish) zoom. Sometimes these are clsoe focus/macro.
- Pentax 80-200mm telephoto lens = telephoto zoom
- Pentax 50mm lens = normal PRIME lense. Prime being fixed focal length.

I would pay $150 for the lot but i am tight.

As for the best usage.... depends on you.

mike
08-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's not that non-digital lenses become different on digital - *all* lenses act differently on digital versus film. That is, a 50mm lens looks different on film than digital, and it doens't matter if it's a "digital" 50 or not. A "digital" and "film" 50 will look the same on digital. The digital 50, though, proabbly won't work well at all on film - it will vignette (dark corners).

As Mike says, the conversion factor for understanding how the field of view changes between filma and digital is 1.5. So the 50 on digital will provide the same FOZV as a 75 on film - which is to say, it will look similar to the long end of the 40-80 does on film. The 40-80 will look even longer on digital, of course.

If 50 is considered "normal" on film, thn 33 is on digital. Anything short thsn this i wide, anything longer telephoto. Macro is a separate issue and doesn't change form film to digital - it it focuses closely enough to be considered macro, it's macro, period.

I personally don't need the items you list, but all together they'd probably fetch $100-$200 or so (just a guess).
08-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

BTW what are lens in terms of Aperture and servies?
ie smc-pentax A or smc pentax M?
50mm 1:2.8 or 1:1.4 or something?

mike

08-19-2009, 02:30 AM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightchaser Quote
4. Just out of curiousity , what would you pay for all the gear I listed?
I would not buy it. I doubt of the quality of those old zooms.
08-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

To answer question #2, you need to provide the details of each lens in addition to the focal length (such as Pentax-M 50mm 1:2 or better, Pentax-A 50mm 1:1.2 or Pentax-A 50mm 1:2.8 Macro, etc).
08-19-2009, 03:47 AM   #7

Marc,

I laways assumed that my Tamron 90mm Macro shows a 1.5 crop factor on my K20D. I understand that it's still a ratio of 1:1 with regards to the image projected onto the film / sensor, but the sensor is smaller so there is still a 1.5 crop factor, no?

08-19-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
first of all, welcome to the forums and pentax.

When you say that you have the kit lenses (plural) I assume youo got a 2 lens package with a 18-50mm (or similar) and a 50-200mm lens, both of which are auto focus? is this correct or do you only have an 18-50mm? The reason for this question is that the use of the other lenses to you is a real function of what you already have.

As far as the older lenses go, that you bought with the ME Super, I would have to assume they are K mount, with manual aperture and no A setting. I also assume they are all F4 or slower

The lenses you bought, if you only have a 18-50mm kit lens would give you a fairly good starting kit for photography, you would cover the range 18-200mm, and the 50mm would be at least 2 stops faster than any other lens for low light and portraits, the pentax 50mm lenses are all good performers.

the 2x Teleconverter will make your 200mm zoom into a 400mm lens, although quite slow at either F8 or F9.

You have enought to play with and find out what you want to do with photography.

As far as price, I would not want to venture a guess, but probably for the entire kit, I would estimate something in the 100-150 range would be realistic on Ebay.

ps. for all those who posted that focal lentghs on digital are different than those for film, all I can say is that is pure BS. Focal length is a physical property of the lens, and digital lenses are marked with the same focal lengths as film lenses because it is a physical property and nothing more,
08-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
I laways assumed that my Tamron 90mm Macro shows a 1.5 crop factor on my K20D.
Yes, it shows a "crop factor" - that is, it is showing you a narrower field of FOV compared to what that same lens would show on a 35mm film camera. It is in fact showing the same FOV that a 135mm lens would on film.

It is impossible for *any* lens to *not* show a "crop factor" when used on a K20D. That is, every lens ever made will show a narrow field of view on a K20D as compared to a film camera.

If you shoot film, this is all good to know. If you don't shoot film, there is no reason to ever care about crop factors - it has no relevance to your life. All 90mm lenses will produce the same FOV on your camera. The fact that they would produce a different FOV on a film camera you will never own is about as relevant as the fact that they'd weigh 1/6 as much on the moon you will never visit.
08-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
Marc,

I laways assumed that my Tamron 90mm Macro shows a 1.5 crop factor on my K20D. I understand that it's still a ratio of 1:1 with regards to the image projected onto the film / sensor, but the sensor is smaller so there is still a 1.5 crop factor, no?
there is still a crop factor on the sensor, but just to be clear because someone else commented that a 40-80mm lens becomes a 60-120mm lens, regardless of whether a 90mm lens (your example) is a film lens or a digital lens, both will have the same impact on the image projected to the sensor and appear the same in the view finder.

The crop factor is a sensor / camera body function not a lens function.

I just wish the idea of crop factor went away because it causes more confusion than anything else.