Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2009, 03:32 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 17-50 was my first choice to replace the kit lens and I've never have had any regrets about buying it. I still have it and the IQ is outstanding, however, I've been slowly replacing it with primes, mainly using the fa 35 now ( just prefer working with primes, nothing against the tammy)

08-22-2009, 05:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm surprised the issue of colour rendition hasn't come up, because at the other forum someone was saying that he much preferred 16-50 colours compared to the 17-50. Some of the photos in this thread have the slight brown tinge I sometimes see with a Tamron lens. Even a couple of Jay's photos, whose use of colour normally wows me, look off to my eye.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-22-2009 at 07:30 AM.
08-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
the tamron 17-50 looks impressive! shame the 16-50 still has issues with the QC, SDM.
anyone knows pentax's new lens map? maybe a 16-50 Version II with better RING type motors?

i wish
This has already been happening for over a year...
The most recent run of 16-50 production has had greatly reduced decentering and QC issues and can be trusted now...

Sure the Tamron 17-50 is a good lens - very few Tamrons aren't worth their price. I think one can't go wrong choosing either of these lenses - just depends what you want in the lens itself - cheaper with decent IQ, or more robust build with weather sealing and SDM with matching IQ (but also the X factor that I just cannot describe about it).

Put simply, my 16-50 images come out so good out of camera, I rarely have to make any adjustments in ACR to make them 'pop' any more.
08-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm surprised the issue of colour rendition hasn't come up in this thread, because at the other forum someone was saying that he much preferred 16-50 colours compared to the 17-50. Some of the photos in this thread have the slight brown tinge I sometimes see with a Tamron lens. Even a couple of Jay's photos, whose use of colour normally wows me, look off to my eye.

Welcome to Nikon!

I think that's attributable to Nikon/Tamron combo (that was from D90), although the Tammy alone does has that slight color cast.

I also slightly prefer the K20D/16-50 colors.

08-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This has already been happening for over a year...
The most recent run of 16-50 production has had greatly reduced decentering and QC issues and can be trusted now...

Sure the Tamron 17-50 is a good lens - very few Tamrons aren't worth their price. I think one can't go wrong choosing either of these lenses - just depends what you want in the lens itself - cheaper with decent IQ, or more robust build with weather sealing and SDM with matching IQ (but also the X factor that I just cannot describe about it).

Put simply, my 16-50 images come out so good out of camera, I rarely have to make any adjustments in ACR to make them 'pop' any more.
ash,

i hope you're right about the better QC of the recent batch of 16-50.
the wider 1mm, weather sealing, FTM and working SDM is surely worth the price differential from the tamron. i'm just hoping that the SDM can be trusted to work and last.

ah, decisions.

regards,
jordan
08-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah Jordan,

You know, there are no guarantees in life (except the usual death and taxes), and you want to minimise risk in stuff that'll go wrong.

But of course, even in the most reliable of gear, the dud one has in his/her possession taints that person's perception of the gear for good.

You just have to trust that if you're getting quality gear, it will last the distance. Just make sure there's a good warranty & returns policy for the stuff you're dubious about...
09-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You just have to trust that if you're getting quality gear, it will last the distance. Just make sure there's a good warranty & returns policy for the stuff you're dubious about...

Now I am new to this, but am I right to consider the one year lens warranty from Pentax something to worry about? Or is this par for the course for non third party lens makers (Canon, Nikon, etc)?