Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #16

Here's an example of when I wish it were wider:

I sold off my primes for a Tamron 17-50. I am really happy

08-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
The beauty of the DA limiteds, perhaps less the DA35, is the compact size. Pretty much like the Leicas. They challenge the stereotype that DSLR = humongous big long lenses. I like the shape of a battery-gripped (i.e. squarish) body with a DA limited pancake - elegant and special, unlike others...
08-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
The beauty of the DA limiteds, perhaps less the DA35, is the compact size. Pretty much like the Leicas. They challenge the stereotype that DSLR = humongous big long lenses. I like the shape of a battery-gripped (i.e. squarish) body with a DA limited pancake - elegant and special, unlike others...
I'm always surprised by how people are LESS willing to take photographs in front of a big zoom, compared to how much easier it is to photograph them with a small size'd prime
08-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #19

even more than the willingness to have a poto taken by a small lens is the fact that if you pull out the DA70 for a candid, nobody is expecting a tight headshot from that distance. Very much puts them at their ease - invaluable for my type of photography.

08-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
I practically don't own much zooms. If you want a wide and light prime, it has got to be the DA15. Usually, the dilemma is between DA15, DA14, DA12-24 and Sigma10-20. Not quite the DA21 but since its part of your dilemma, I am suspecting you are not really too concern with the <15mm regions. I think DA15 is really more suitable for landscapes than the DA21. DA21 is good for general street photography but do not give you that impactful perspective required usually for landscape photography. So, get the DA15 first, especially if weight is a concern and perhaps the DA21 later on. Forget the zooms altogether...
I have to disagree with this. The DA 21 is certainly wide enough for landscape photography:

For me, when hiking and not knowing what I'm going to encounter, I'd be less worried about "can I get it all in" with the DA 21, and more worried about "can I get close enough" with the DA 15. And I find the color/rendering of the DA 21 to be fantastic. Reviews on sharpness, etc. are just tests. The lens produces very nice images.

All that being said, the 12-24 covers it all and doesn't even way a pound, so it's not THAT big and heavy. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three (12-24, 21 or 15)
08-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You asked about the handling of the DA 12-24. I like it but it is neither my largest or my heaviest lens. Even though the shape of it makes it look like the weight is all on the front element, it's much better balanced than the A*300 (another lens I own) which really does have all the weight on the front element. I don't notice balance problems at all with the 12-24. It really isn't all that heavy or long a lens, though the 77mm front diameter does need a roomy spot.
08-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

12-24mm is sharper and gives less distortion than the 21mm and the 14mm. The problem here vs the 21mm is that the 12-24mm is as big as a house and is not suited for street photography in my eyes.

The 14mm has an abysmal manual focusing ring, i like the 15mm for its smaller size and better MF abilities, but as far as the 21mm goes it's all about the size. The 12-24mm kicks its butt any day, but it is really too big for me.

You decide what you want to carry around. The Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 might be nice, but we won't know for sure before it is for sale around late September.

08-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I have to disagree with this. The DA 21 is certainly wide enough for landscape photography:

For me, when hiking and not knowing what I'm going to encounter, I'd be less worried about "can I get it all in" with the DA 21, and more worried about "can I get close enough" with the DA 15. And I find the color/rendering of the DA 21 to be fantastic. Reviews on sharpness, etc. are just tests. The lens produces very nice images.

All that being said, the 12-24 covers it all and doesn't even way a pound, so it's not THAT big and heavy. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three (12-24, 21 or 15)
Very good landscapes indeed. But I have to clarify myself that I did not say the DA21 is not wide enough for landscape. Just that the FOV can be a bit limiting for an impactful photo. I do feel your photos can give be even better if they were wider.