Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How many Pentax and Takumar lenses do you own compared to 3rd party lenses?
I own only Pentax and Takumar lenses. 4625.27%
I own only 3rd party lenses. 21.10%
I own both Pentax/Takumar and 3rd party lenses, but more Pentax/Takumar. 9150.00%
I own both Pentax/Takumar and 3rd party lenses, but more 3rd party. 2513.74%
I own an equal number of Pentax/Takumar and 3rd party lenses. 189.89%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Stu,

how big/difficult is the modification one nneds to do to fit K bayonet onto Sigma mount?
It's easy Peter, grab out the dremal, and masking tape.
Tape everything you can off, leaving the Aperture leaver sticking out. Along with any of the protective plastic bumpers they have sticking out around it.
Grind these all off. They'll hit the dust filter if you don't.
That's it. It even lines up the same way as on the Pentax.

There are some lenses you won't be able to focus to infinity with, the 50mm f1.2 being one of them. (you can with the 1.4)
The reason being, they stick too far into the camera, hitting the filter.
Even with my 50mm f1.4 I have to be careful, it will hit the filter if I go past infinity. Which you can do, since the registry distance is greater on a Pentax.

I have 1 lens out of about 5 which doesn't work on a Pentax after the mod. I don't know why, however I just haven't had a sharp image with it on the Pentax since the mod, however it's incredible on the SD14

08-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a bargain hunter so I'm always looking for a deal. Right now I only have one Sigma and a Vivitar 2x converter in M42. The rest are all Pentax or Takumars. I haven't avoided third party lenses, it's just the way things have worked out. If given a choice for an equal amount of money or close to it, I will always buy the Pentax or Tak.
02-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I got very few non-pentax lenses but not many... in fact all but one of my non-pentax glass are inherited from my parents MX kit I was given.

3 DA series
1 DA* series
2 M series
1 FA series
2 Vivitar

But I plan on getting a Tamron and another DA series lens by March 31
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

I somewhat unintentionally wound up with all Pentax glass. Started off with the kit lenses for my K100. Then acquired the 10-17, 12-24, 16-45 and 55-300. Then I though that I would try a prime for landscape the 21, but a 31 came in its place (since the website listed the lens by S/N). So, I am essentially finished - no LBA - all of this over 5 years. The K100 and the kit lenses are in my pickup truck. Then I only carry 4 lenses when I travel with my K20, with my tripod and head.

... almost forgot the SMC 55/1.8 on my old Spotmatic II that I picked up in 1970.

just out taking pictures.

02-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
audiobomber: I wonder how much impact the new Pentax DA-specific processing for CA and distortion as featured in the K-7 will feature in peoples' buying decisions?
I was thinking about that myself. No matter how you slice it, it only bodes well for the sale of Pentax glass. I have to believe it will have an effect, the only question is the degree of effect. Nice marketing strategy on Pentax's part.
02-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I was thinking about that myself. No matter how you slice it, it only bodes well for the sale of Pentax glass. I have to believe it will have an effect, the only question is the degree of effect. Nice marketing strategy on Pentax's part.
Having the K-x lens corrections available has definitely changed the way I view my DA 18-250. Sharpness was never an issue, and once you remove the distortion and CA, IQ definitely steps up a level. Of course you can do the corrections with software, but that needs some effort. The camera just takes an extra second to process the shots. I'm no speed shooter, so I rarely even notice the delay.

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-16-2010 at 12:01 PM.
02-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
What I can see is all makers wioll ultimately go this route eventually, where the camera can correct for lens errors (when known).

Let's face it, for many lens issues especially linear distortion, it is far easier to write the code than correct the lens.

Even though the designs are known, I can see this as the next step in technology driving cost reduction in lenses.
02-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I've been too impressed with Pentax lenses to even consider third-party. But I'm also not a SDM (DA*) owner! When I want an equivalent to one of those, I'll go third-party until SDM failures are hardly even mentioned any more.

02-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #39

I think I may be a pentax lens snob. I have owned some great 3rd party lenses but I always seem to replace them with Pentax Glass eventually. My only remaining Sigma lens, the 17-70, will get replaced with a DA* 16-50 when I can.

I really do think Pentax glass, with it's SMC coating and colour rendition, is superior or, at least I always like the results more. And really, one of the best reasons to shoot Pentax cameras is to use all that amazing pentax glasss.
02-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Lowell Goudge: What I can see is all makers wioll ultimately go this route eventually, where the camera can correct for lens errors (when known).
Yes!

QuoteQuote:
Let's face it, for many lens issues especially linear distortion, it is far easier to write the code than correct the lens.
Yes!

QuoteQuote:
Even though the designs are known, I can see this as the next step in technology driving cost reduction in lenses.
Yes!
02-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #41

I'm a Pentax Camera snob and as such any lens that fits will suffice. Unfortunately (in LBA terms only) this means that from the humble mid eighties beginings to date I have amassed almost 80 lenses. Started with Vivitar zooms amd Tamron 500 on a P30 and then Super A.

I have about 26 Pentax M/Takumar and about same in Vivitar and Tamron Adaptall. All have been purchased during the past 3 years or so from local stores at rock bottom prices before they knew what they were selling.

Alas no more. Good cure for LBA though. I use istDL2 and K100 most of the time. I also have a 200D but it hardly gets used.

Phil P
02-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I did not vote as the situation might change after the weekend. Currently it's 4-1 in favor of Pentax.

Currently
Pentax DA18-55 II
Pentax DA55-300
Pentax FA31LTD
Cosmicar 35-70
Vivitar 55/2.8 macro (M42)

After the weekend? I don't know, but somebody promised me some M42 glass as a birthday present (the Vivitar is part of it). The suspense is killing me, to be honest.
02-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I am in the majority, with this count for Pentax K-mount:

9 Pentax lenses

3 Tamron lenses

1 Sigma lens

1 Schneider Kreuznach
02-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I own mostly Pentax/Takumar and two third party lenses.
  • Pentax lenses:
  • 50mm Tak 1.8
    50mm F2.0 Tak
    50mm f4 Macro Tak
    28mm Tax wide angle f 2,8
    135 mm screw mount Tak, f3.5
    35-105 Macro A zoom f3.5
    16-45
    50 f2.8 macro
    50 f1.4
    10-17 mm Fisheye f3.5
    55-300
    18-55

Non Pentax

Bushnell 90-230mm screwmount
    Bushnell 35 mm wide angle screwmount
02-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I only have 2 non-Pentax lenses right now. although if I'm only going to own a 4 lens setup, it would be 2 non-Pentax and 2 Pentax. if Pentax gets their acts together, and do something about their SDM problems, you can count that it would be an all Pentax line-up.