Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Center-Pinch Front Len Caps for the BIGMA

OK... Raise you hand if you hate the front lens cap that has shipped for years as OEM for the BIGMA. It impossible to put on or take off when the hood is in place. This isnt particularly unusual on any lens and is normally easily remedied by purchasing an aftermarket center-pinch lens cap. However, just try to find an 86mm center-pinch lens cap. I never could find one. Well, the hunt is over. While we were at the East Coast Gathering this year, Brendan brought a loaner Sigma 150-500mm with him and low and behold, Sigma is using a center-pinch cap now. I finally got around to contacting Sigma and even though the caps shown on their website are the old style, I have been assured that all they have in stock are the new style. Price is $10 plus S&H but it's gonna be work every penny.

The person I spoke to at Sigma said to add a note to specify that you want a center-pinch cap just in case someone finds an old stash of the old style somewhere.

Mike

08-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great advice Mike... I did this (a few months before I sold my bigma).

I think Tamron makes the best pinch lens caps in the business, and I put one of these (from B&H) on my Bigma.
08-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hmmmmm I didn't think of Tamron... LOL. I was just looking for the no-names and couldn't find an 86mm. I have a Sigma one on the way now and just wanted to let other frustrated BIGMA owners know the caps were available.
08-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
However, just try to find an 86mm center-pinch lens cap.
I'm using a 86mm to 77mm step down ring and a 77mm Tamron lens cap on the 170-500mm. The 77mm lens caps is much easier to get off and on when the hood is on the lens, as well as the usual cheaper filters needed. Has anyone determined the smallest step down ring the Bigma can use?

Thank you
Russell