Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma or Tamron or Pentax?

I think this question might have been asked on this forum again and again but I tried to search and couldn't find satisfactory info.

My question is for a Pentax K100D user (next year probably K-7 user) what would be good buy Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di II (LD) or Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 APO DG (II)? I would go for 1.5x TC (kenko). So which lens suits TCs better? HSM is not important now but when in future I get K-7, it might be useful.
On the other hand is the price difference of DA* 60-250 with sigma or Tammy 70-200mm justified? If yes then I may go for it. Basically I wan to increase the reach of my camera to close to 500mm (Bigma is too big and heavy so wont consider that).

I have now Kit lens and DA 50-200mm so I am into complete overhauling of my gear in a 2 years span.

Atindra

08-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks

Thanks for the threads Ash.
I am getting feeling after reading few threads, like Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 pairs better with TCs than Sigma? I heard Sigma pairing well only with sigma 1.4x TC and not with other TCs, is this correct?

Rating in the "third party lens review database" is very high for Sigma compared to Tamron. Does that reflect superiority in IQ or only the AF-speed and built quality are pushing higher rating of Sigma.

Atindra
08-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not necessarily Atindra.
I'm not experienced enough to give you info about the Sigma + TC compatibility, but some users note the Tamron 1.4x TC compatible with the Sigma 70-200 (not sure how), though I have good experience with the Tamron 70-200 + Tamron TC, which does not suffer any significant loss in AF speed or low-light hunting (though the lens is known to hunt a little anyway in low-light).

Then in this forum's lens review database, you are dealing with members' opinions on their lenses rather than a regimented set of standardised tests on IQ and AF. The more reliable sites, like Photozone.de, Photodo.com and Lens-Review.com, whilst still not the most definitive review sites, do have some objective data on these lenses for you to peruse.

All the best in that.

08-20-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A question to Ash

Since you have Tammy, I would like to know how problematic is the AF/MF switching by ring on Tamron lens? And do we need to swtich both lens and Camera to achieve AF to MF or Vice versa?

Atindra
08-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
I think this question might have been asked on this forum again and again but I tried to search and couldn't find satisfactory info.

My question is for a Pentax K100D user (next year probably K-7 user) what would be good buy Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di II (LD) or Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 APO DG (II)? I would go for 1.5x TC (kenko). So which lens suits TCs better? HSM is not important now but when in future I get K-7, it might be useful.
On the other hand is the price difference of DA* 60-250 with sigma or Tammy 70-200mm justified? If yes then I may go for it. Basically I wan to increase the reach of my camera to close to 500mm (Bigma is too big and heavy so wont consider that).

I have now Kit lens and DA 50-200mm so I am into complete overhauling of my gear in a 2 years span.

Atindra
Atindra, none of the 70-200 + 1.5x tcs will bring you "close to 500mm". Nor will the 60-250 do. Nevertheless, if you plan to use a tc from the outset, because you feel, that the 70-200 range is too short, you should buy a longer lens from the start. The DA 60-250 might be fine, but wouldn't give you that much more reach.

Perthaps you should consider the Sigma 120-400, which is smaller and lighter than the Bigma (though I personally love the Bigma for its longer reach and really good build quality).

If a fast max. aperture is not important to you, you might also consider the DA 55-300, which is a nice lens for its price (as far as I can see from example images) - but there sure will be some owners chiming in here.

Ben
08-20-2009, 05:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ben

Ideally I would love to reach 500mm. I know that any of the lens which I am considering now could not get me there (even with TC with good IQ). I am hoping Pentax may come up with some good tele-lens soon, till then I would buy a lens in the range of 50-300 mm with fast apertures.

For the price DA 55-300 looks awesome and many times I push my self into dilemma of whether going to fast lenses worth money or not.

Atindra

08-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you might want to go back and ask yourself whether you want a zoom for the range 70-500, or whether you want 70-200 and 500 only.

the reason is, you might be better off getting any one of a number of 300mm F4 lenses and the Pentax SMC-F 1.7x AF TC and stay with your 50-200.

that way you have the lightest combo possible.

I have 2 long options, as follows

SMC 300 F4 and SMC-F 1.7x AF TC

or

sigma APO 70-200F2.8 and sigma 1.4x and 2x TCs.

the first combo gives a little more reach, the second due to shorter focal length but overall same lens diameter is a little faster.

Additionally, the second combo is more flexible, and because it is an automatic aperture lens, allows the use of P-TTL flash.

but note, the first combo while using a prime almost 35 years old and a TC that is almost 20 years old can give stunning results.
K7 with SMC 300 F4 and 1.7x AF TC at 1/40th (that's right) hand held

*istD with SMC 300 F4 and 1.7x AF TC and flash

K10 D with sigma 70-200F2.8 and 2x TC

08-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Have you actually used the 50-500? Yes it's big and heavy, but after spending 5 hours with one yesterday, I was pretty surprised at it's handling.
08-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Have you actually used the 50-500? Yes it's big and heavy, but after spending 5 hours with one yesterday, I was pretty surprised at it's handling.
Personally, I have not used a BIGMA, and while I have seen excellent results from it, as you can see from my post above, I already have 2 combos that yeild excellent results. For me, a third combo in this focal length and aperture range is a waste of money. my LBA could be better served elsewhere

For me, the next step (if I ever take it) is to enter the 100mm plus club, and by this I mean 100mm front element diameter or bigger. Typically a 300 F2.8, 500mmF4.5 which use 112mm front elements, or bigger and faster. But that is a whole order of magnitude more expensive.
08-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
After some accomodation, the Bigma can be handled quite well, though I always get the sharpest results, when using a monpod or tripod, rarely handheld, even with very fast shutter speeds. The Bigma has a somewhat unusual behaviour in so far, that the contrast at 500mm totally breaks down, when the focus is not spot on. You either get a sharp and very good image or a unuseable one - there is no latitude for slight mistakes...

But the thread opener explicitly stated, he did not want a Bigma, so his choices are more limited to lens+tc combos, to get the desired reach.

Ben
08-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For me, the next step (if I ever take it) is to enter the 100mm plus club, and by this I mean 100mm front element diameter or bigger. Typically a 300 F2.8, 500mmF4.5 which use 112mm front elements, or bigger and faster. But that is a whole order of magnitude more expensive.
Lowell, have you considered an older Tamron 60B (300/2.8)? It is fairly cheap and handles very well. Also it can be used with the two Pentax L tcs, which make it a very versatile choice, which offers very high IQ even with those tcs. I use that more often, than the Pentax 500/4.5, because it is smaller and the Tamron's IF is really an advantage (aprt from the A-functionality with the right Adaptall adapter).

Ben
08-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Trust me Lowell, I wasn't trying to sell you on the Bigma. That was only for the OP. He said it was the size that turned him off to it, and I just wanted him to know it may not be as bad as he thinks. As to the contrast at 500mm, thanks for the heads up. I haven't reviewed any of my shots with it, but will be sure to keep it in mind.
08-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jodokast96

No problem, I was just making sure that no one thought I was considering my options as better than the BIGMA since I don't own one and therefore can't comment.

Ben

as for the Tamron 300F2.8, I know where one is and tried it but got turned off by the CA when I tried it. Much worse than the 300 F4 when you compare both used with the 1.7x AF TC.

With the K7 and some of the shots I am getting at higher ISO, I am beginning to think the 100MM Plus club may become extinct.

If I go for a 300F2.8 at this point, I believe it will be an AF version, useable with my Sigma TCs, therefore, Pentax FA or Sigma, probably on the used market.

You may note I place a lot of faith in the sigma TCs, but from experience on the 27-200 F2.8, it is well founded.
08-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Jodokast96

No problem, I was just making sure that no one thought I was considering my options as better than the BIGMA since I don't own one and therefore can't comment.

Ben

as for the Tamron 300F2.8, I know where one is and tried it but got turned off by the CA when I tried it. Much worse than the 300 F4 when you compare both used with the 1.7x AF TC.

With the K7 and some of the shots I am getting at higher ISO, I am beginning to think the 100MM Plus club may become extinct.

If I go for a 300F2.8 at this point, I believe it will be an AF version, useable with my Sigma TCs, therefore, Pentax FA or Sigma, probably on the used market.

You may note I place a lot of faith in the sigma TCs, but from experience on the 27-200 F2.8, it is well founded.
I see your arguments BUT I think the 1.7x AF-adapter may be the colourtful culprit. It introduces severe CAs, when attached to the 500/4.5 too - which the "real" Pentax tcs do not. The 60B has sure some CAs, but not more, than most other lenses of that fl. When used with the correct filters (the internal one and the front filter) CAs are even less obtrusive, as these filters seem to be part of the lens' computation.

But obviously a FA 300/2.8 would be a much better choice...

Ben