Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Need help Identifying Lens ~ 70-210mm

Picked this up at a pawn shop yesterday for $10. Only taken one or two shots with it and it takes ok pictures, not taken enough to really tell yet. Only problems are sticky aperture blades and a small scratch in the front glass.

Ok so the lens is a Auto Zoom 70-210mm 1:4-5.6. 52mm filter ring, and on the lower body it says made in Korea, it is a KR lens and I did have to remove the ricoh pin to get it to fit flawlessly on my K100. The lens is all metal construction and seems to be very good quality. Only brand I can think of might be the symbol on the lens the QTII which made me think of Quantaray but I dont know, anyone know anything about it?

08-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Anyone have any ideas?
08-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it looks like a combination of a Tokina 70 - 210mm f4.0 - 5.6 lens I currently have. With some parts robbed off a Tokina 70mm - 200mm f4.5 - 5.6 I gave away

If Tokina made, or designed it for them then it might be a great lens... or a lousy lens.
The 70 - 210mm f4.0 - 5.6 has good optics. I chose to keep it for that reason.
However the 70mm - 200mm f4.5 - 5.6 had poor optics, which is why I gave it away

I hope it's the good version.
08-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ive looked at some pics online, and some of them look similar to the Tokina one and some dont. Im still unsure as to what it is.

08-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just purchased a Tokina SD 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 and compared it to your photos. I was going to say it is match, minus different colors of lettering and rubber grip until I stepped back and looked at the shape. My Tokina anyways has a lot more of of an increase in diameter from the stationary barrel to the focus/zoom ring.

It is otherwise pretty close...
08-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

QTII seems to be the brand, I dont belive its a quantaray
Le Camera buy sell trade repair rental new and used Cameras Digital SLR Lenses in Princeton New Jersey
08-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

some korean make I think, on par with the Quantarays and other budget telezooms. Watch the flare for sure.

08-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LMRacing Quote
Nice I wasnt able to find that at all, thanks. Im guessing it a QTII brand then or something like that lol, Ill take some pics tomorrow hopefully and post up my findings, either way i think its a steal at $10.
08-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmm still not too sure. The pics i took handheld the other day were a failure lol I need to clean and oil the aperture blades so they work again. XD
06-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Bringing this thread back to life for a couple reasons. To help inform someone else who may have one, and to learn more about this lens. I was googling for more info on this particular lens, and google brought me to this thread.

I picked up this same lens on eBay for around 10$. Mine does not have a Ricoh pin.

The OP never returned to post results with this lens, so I will resume from there. I used this lens with no filters and no lens hood.

I shot this in RAW, and then did a straight Export to JPEG without editing the RAW file.

Not that bad of quality. Definately could be better, but for a $10 lens what do you expect? The image is still usable.
After a couple minutes in Lightroom:

That $10 lens now seems worth the $10.

Just don't point it in the direction of the sun. You'll wonder where your contrast ran off to:

Ok, maybe I should get a lens hood for it.

After LR, you still have a usable image:

If you want to see other pictures that I shot with this lens, check this set on Flickr. All of these were shot with the QTII lens.

To conclude this post, at the price I paid for the lens, I am not complaining. It does the job, is easy to use, and produces usable images. Not the best in the world, but usable.

If anybody has any other info over this lens, I would like to hear about it.
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the same lens myself and was beginning to think everyone else had thrown theirs away.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/76419-guess-le...ification.html

I liked using mine for many years. That is until I recently got a Pentax A 70-210.

I always referred to it as a Focal lens. It is compact enough and since it is an auto aperture lens, I used it often on my K10.
As you can see, mine has the brass like, rounded Ricoh pin and is clearly marked -"KR" on the aperture ring.

This SMC Pentax A 70-210 is a bit heavy and not at all compact but takes consistently better images than the "Focal" cousin.
06-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
As you can see, mine has the brass like, rounded Ricoh pin and is clearly marked -"KR" on the aperture ring.
Ok, mine does have the Ricoh pin. Sorry for the misinformation. For some reason, I thought the pin stuck out further, and since I didn't see it sticking out, I assumed it wasn't there. Mine sits flush with the base and has never caused any problems. Mine also is marked "KR" on the aperture ring.

I think I will not take any more chances and do the modification to keep the pin from getting stuck. After reading some of the threads about the ricoh pin, that's a headache I would like to avoid.

Interesting to read in your thread all of the idea's and places that this lens came from. At least we have an idea of the years it was made. 84-86.

One more thing, and it's most likely because I don't have any long term experience with these types of lenses like others here have. I kind of like the push-pull zoom, and I like the fact that it's a parfocal lens.

Thanks for posting a link to your thread, and thanks for replying.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 06-09-2010 at 06:24 PM.
06-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

These two guys picked up their lenses for around $10?!? It is a good lens for that price, I think. I used it very often on my K1000, neglected it with my auto focus bodies but gave it a brief, new life with my K10.
The more rounded pin has never seemed to restrict removal of the lens on my K10 but the mount is a little tight.
At ten bucks I would certainly recommend the lens to many who suffer from delusions of mediocrity.
06-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

How bad are these things known to creep? Mine is very firm and smooth. A nice fluid feeling. When aimed straight down, it doesn't creep the slightest bit.
06-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, certainly with some movement my copy will slowly
go all the way out. And if you stand the lens up on it's rear it slides down to 70 within 6-10 seconds. I have never bothered to see if it can be tightened.

As I say, I am certain I bought mine new between '85 and '86 from either Sears, Montgomery Wards, Kmart or JC Penny, though the first three are more likely.