Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #1

Rikenon P f/2.82 & ME Super

Hi,

I recently purchased a ME Super that came with a Rikenon P 1:2 50mm f/2.82.

1) I am concerned about what seems to an incompatibility between the camera and lens. I've seen the recommendation of removing the 'pin'. Is this something a beginner can do or should I take it into a shop and have it done professionally? If it's something a beginner can do, where might I find instructions?

2) My initial interest is in a macro for flowers, mineral specimens and close-ups for eBay. In looking at information about lenses, it seems as if a 50mm f/1.4 is very desirable. Would it be a good idea to replace my f/2.82 with a f/1.4 for these subjects? What other specs/qualities should I be looking for in a macro lens?

3) I haven't figured out what series of lenses or mount designations the ME Super is compatible with. Is one series and mount better suited for the ME Super over another? Should I go by individual lenses in the different series?

4) And lastly, can anyone tell me anything about the quality and usefulness of my current lens? I don't find any mention of it. Not a good sign?

Thanks - Robin

05-16-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1) As I understand it, the extra pin only causes problems on auto focus bodies so the ME Super should be fine.

2) You should get a macro lens. You'll probably find that you can't get close enough with the regular 50mm lenses.

3) You can mount pretty much any Pentax K-mount lens on the ME Super, but they won't necessarily work well. For example, the DA and FAJ series don't have aperture rings so your ME Super can't control the aperture. The -M and -K lenses are perfect for your ME Super. The -A, -F, -FA lenses will work great also, but they have extra features that your camera doesn't support and are generally a bit more expensive.

4) I haven't used the Rikenon 50mm myself, but from what I've read, it seems to be comparable to the Pentax-M 50mm f/2. It sounds like a good lens.
05-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hey thanks for the info.

Does the pin problem only apply to exclusively AF bodies? Would that mean that AF/M (MES) & M only bodies won't have problems with the pin?

Thanks!
05-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, the extra pin on the lens gets stuck in the AF drive shaft hole on autofocus bodies. Since the ME and ME Super don't have that hole, the pin has nothing to get caught on. If you're still worried about it, you can just remove the pin.