Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 307
Small rant....I guess I'm a little miffed at Pentax.

K100D owner along with kit lens and cheapo Tamron 70-300mm zoom. Have had a Pentax (MG) camera for 25 years of some sort.

Anyway, I can't seem to find the selection of lens that nikon and canon have in the "fast 50" flavor. I do have my kit lens from 1984 off my film MG camera, but it's manual focus and I want an autofocus lens of this capability (low light).

I'm on once in a while and it seems like I'm always seeing the "fast 50's" from canon and nikon pop up for reasonable money.

I would actually be looking for something like a "fast 28" or something like that......the 50 just seems like it has too much zoom for indoor flashless work for me. But they don't seem to be there.

Rant off.

vmax84

Edit: It seems like Pentax use to offer the type of lens I'm looking for, but I don't believe they make them any more. Why?

08-21-2009, 05:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
If Pentax doesn't offer the lens you want, then look at the Sigma line. I have the 28mm f1.8 and a very good lens, I'll probably add the 24mm to my kit at some point. They have the 30mm and 20 mm as well. Both very good and fast lenses. There's also always the FA50mm f1.4 as well.

I think we have a lot of great choices in primes and that's not even considering the Limiteds.

Pentax being smaller is updating their lens lineup for Digital a bit slower than some others but remember that a number of he lenses offered by other brands are old lenses that they still produce but may not have the best coatings for digital use.
08-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 307
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
If Pentax doesn't offer the lens you want, then look at the Sigma line. I have the 28mm f1.8 and a very good lens, I'll probably add the 24mm to my kit at some point. They have the 30mm and 20 mm as well. Both very good and fast lenses. There's also always the FA50mm f1.4 as well.

I think we have a lot of great choices in primes and that's not even considering the Limiteds.

Pentax being smaller is updating their lens lineup for Digital a bit slower than some others but remember that a number of he lenses offered by other brands are old lenses that they still produce but may not have the best coatings for digital use.
I guess I kinda forget about Sigma and Tamron. Are there any other lens manufacturers I can look at in the 15-40mm range? Might even look at an "off-brand" type of lens, just to give it a whirl and stay under budget.

vmax84
08-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dawesville,Western Australia.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 129
Saw an adapter on ebay. fits any Nikon lens to Pentax bayonet. You might like to check that out.

08-21-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
I haven't tried the Nikon adapter but have read mixed reports. It works but image quality suffers. It has a corrective lens to adjust the register distance.

There are only really 3 3rd party companies, Tokina (no PKA mounts, and Sigma or Tamron. Sigma has the biggest line by far.

If you want a fast wide, get the Pentax 14mm f2.8. In that focal range there's nothing faster and if there were, you'd have to sell the car to buy it.
08-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,195
This is, at the moment, Pentax's biggest failing, in my opinion. They don't have a fast normal lens for their DSLR line. The closest they come to it is the 31/1.8, which is a nice lens, but it's not a 1.4.
I think they were pretty retarded when they put the 35/2.8 macro on the market, even though it is a very good optic. It's too close in focal length to the 40 and no faster.
What they should have put on the market instead is something in the range of a 30mm f/1.4.
08-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What they should have put on the market instead is something in the range of a 30mm f/1.4.
The DA★ 30mm, for example.
08-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
..and something affordable.
It would seem that everything they come up with now requires a bit of money.
Although less than the money you have to shell for the Canikons but still a sizable amount.

08-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
For a fast normal lens, there is also the FA 35/2
08-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,713
QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I guess I kinda forget about Sigma and Tamron.

vmax84
Sigma actually has a nice selection of smaller primes.
10mm F2.8 EX DC Fisheye HSM
20mm F1.8 EX DG
24mm F1.8 EX DG
28mm F1.8 EX DG
30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
They do have more, not offered in Pentax mount. I imagine that they might just make them, if enough people ask
That is unless they're planning on dropping that lens, or re-introducing it.

Personally I wish that they had a larger selection of longer primes including an 85mm, a 135mm, and a 200mm
08-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 307
Original Poster
I just don't understand why they dropped a couple decent looking lens..........seems like Pentax had a 35mm and a couple others smaller than the "fast 50" and all I can find on Amazon and such is "discontinuied". $%^&*# retards.

vmax84
08-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member
TourDeForce's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 512
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Sigma actually has a nice selection of smaller primes.
10mm F2.8 EX DC Fisheye HSM
20mm F1.8 EX DG
24mm F1.8 EX DG
28mm F1.8 EX DG
30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
They do have more, not offered in Pentax mount. I imagine that they might just make them, if enough people ask
That is unless they're planning on dropping that lens, or re-introducing it.

Personally I wish that they had a larger selection of longer primes including an 85mm, a 135mm, and a 200mm
The 28mm 1.8 is a nice lens, but the samples I've seen of the 30mm suffered badly from the characteristic Sigma yellow cast. I hate that. 24mm would be just about ideal for a normal lens, but I'm not familiar with it. Reviews I've seen have been mixed.
08-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,691
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
For a fast normal lens, there is also the FA 35/2
Was...the last I saw it was no longer available new.

Steve

(Got mine a little over a year ago and glad I did...)
08-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,691
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

There are only really 3 3rd party companies, Tokina (no PKA mounts, and Sigma or Tamron. Sigma has the biggest line by far.
You might want to include Cosina/Zeiss and Cosina/Voigtlander in that list. Prices are high, but so is the quality.

Ultron 40/2
Nokton 58/1.4
Distagon 28/2
Distagon 35/2
Planar 50/1.4

Steve
08-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,713
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
The 28mm 1.8 is a nice lens, but the samples I've seen of the 30mm suffered badly from the characteristic Sigma yellow cast. I hate that. 24mm would be just about ideal for a normal lens, but I'm not familiar with it. Reviews I've seen have been mixed.
If your looking at a lens in that range it might be worth taking a look at the 30mm again.
I don't know if, or what they've changed on it, however at this time it's said to be one of Sigma's best primes.
Personally i only want full frame lenses, so I doubt that I'll buy one
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, canon, k-mount, kit, lens, mg, nikon, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small rant + speculation ilya80 Pentax News and Rumors 35 04-20-2010 11:42 PM
Why no Pentax rant forum?? julianactive General Talk 20 03-20-2009 09:40 AM
Small rant! Photography course at University. James S General Talk 49 02-28-2009 05:33 PM
Rant: Pentax Lens -vs- others. Ed in GA Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 05-20-2008 09:27 AM
Dear Pentax (A "small" rant about what I want) JJJPhoto Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 04-28-2008 06:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top