Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, more than worth it- but it's been a burden to find a usable copy, and I'm glad it's over.

Now my kit will look something like this:

DA12-24mm/4 for "fun" wide-angle shots
FA 20-35mm/4 for travel wide-angle shots
A 15/3.5 + FA* 24mm/2 + FA 35mm/2 for wide-angle shots
DA 40mm/2.8 to convert my K-7 into a P&S for event photography
FA* 85mm/1.4 as a walkaround lens
DA* 50-135mm/2.8 for when it's raining
FA* 80-200mm/2.8 for travel tele shots
FA* 200mm/4 Macro for macro shots
FA* 300mm/2.8 for extreme-tele/sports shots

Note the lack of any recent Pentax lenses- you just can't beat the old FA*'s. IMO if anyone is lucky enough to get their hands on the lenses listed above, a Pentax system can easily compete with and outperform a new Nikon/Canon system.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed - it took me 2.5 months to find mine, but I was looking in all the wrong places! You may already know that I got the last "like new" demo from Pentax Canada via Vistek Cameras. Henrys had bought the other 3 and sold them on Ebay back in late Feb. of 2006. Therefore I lucked out and avoid the price being several hundred higher - not sure if they were new though...

Nice setup Adam! However, I am horribly disappointed that you didn't give any love to the F* 250-600/5.6... Of course, that lens requires planning in a serious way before traveling. What did you buy as the support setup for that lens?

Regards,
Marc
08-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Hi Marc,

I'm still looking. My manfrotto tripod is obviously too light for the lens, but I'm sure that if I can acquire a sturdy tripod, the F* will be unmatched for sports photography, as it's the zoom range that makes that lens shine.

The one problem I have with it is the combined focusing/zoom ring; it definitely takes some time to get used to. IQ is fine- no problems there.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Gitzo 5541 is obviously the top of the heap for heavier lenses, etc. but it depends on your needs. I've used the Sigma 500/4.5 on the Giottos MT9361 (rated at 17 pounds) without any problems. You'd be getting close, but their are other options.

Regarding the head: What do you have now as a head? I have used the Arca-Swiss monoball Z1 with no issue. Perhaps the test-drive program Wimberley has might be worth considering? You have 60 days to test drive their equipment, including the Gimbal heads.

Yes, it sounds like a shameless plug, but I do really like their equipment. You'd need the P50 plate with bushing adapter for Arca-Swiss compatible heads.

Regards,
Marc

08-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I have 3 kinds of heads- a ballhead, gear head, and pano head. I like the pano head the most, but I also hate to say that I find tripods to be burdensome in general, and if I can get away with hand-holding, I leave the tripod behind. Obviously it'll take some research to see what kind of equipment I'll need for the F*, but for now, I'm holding off as the FA* macro was quite an expense.

Adam

08-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats, Adam--have fun with it!
08-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, more than worth it- but it's been a burden to find a usable copy, and I'm glad it's over.

Now my kit will look something like this:

DA12-24mm/4 for "fun" wide-angle shots
FA 20-35mm/4 for travel wide-angle shots
A 15/3.5 + FA* 24mm/2 + FA 35mm/2 for wide-angle shots
DA 40mm/2.8 to convert my K-7 into a P&S for event photography
FA* 85mm/1.4 as a walkaround lens
DA* 50-135mm/2.8 for when it's raining
FA* 80-200mm/2.8 for travel tele shots
FA* 200mm/4 Macro for macro shots
FA* 300mm/2.8 for extreme-tele/sports shots

Note the lack of any recent Pentax lenses- you just can't beat the old FA*'s. IMO if anyone is lucky enough to get their hands on the lenses listed above, a Pentax system can easily compete with and outperform a new Nikon/Canon system.
Excellent images from your new lens. I would like to know what happened to your FA* 28-70mm... why it is not on your kit anymore? I was planning to get one but dont know if it is worth it.

08-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I indeed still have the lens, but for some reason, it's never really appealed to me that much. The IQ is great, and I've enjoyed the macro feature, but for some reason, I prefer just walking around with the 85mm and switching to a wide-angle when needed. Personal preference, I guess.

Adam

08-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #24

I see, thats what I think it may happen to me too... 28-70mm it is not so great on APS-C, but if I dont try it I will never know. By the way, if you ever decide on selling it, just let me know :ugh:
08-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Don't count on that, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a copy in the Marketplace or on eBay as there are quite a few out there

When I shoot with my MZ-S the 28-70mm gets some love!

Adam

08-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #26

I understand
08-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, Ash said his first impression is "SHAAAAAARP". My first impression is "massive envy". Great score Adam, congratulations.

NaCl(it will be my first purchase after I hit the lotto)H2O
08-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What a fantastic lens Adam! Congratulations.