Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #1

Will Vivitar zoom work with K100D ?

Hi, I'm new here and hope you can help me out.

I want to buy a K100D to replace my old Super Program. I have a Vivitar 28-210mm zoom that I have had for years. It is a manual focus but has automatic aperture setting. I'm sorry but my terminology is not very good. I have searched here and it sounds like an old "manual lense" is a little complicated to use on the K100D. I believe this lens to be a "KA" mount. It has about 5-6 little dots in an arc to make electrical contact on the lens mount.

Will this lens work with the K100D? I want the majority of the auto exposure programs to work. I have read in other threads about setting the aperture and then pressing an "AE" button and so forth. I don't want this hassle.

I also read somewhere that the new DSLR's have the sensors at a different focal length and that it changes the effective range of the lens. The lens numbers should be multiplied by 1.5. That would make my 28-210 into a 42-315mm lens. Is this true?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

05-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

If the lens has an 'A' setting on the aperture ring, you're good to go! Just keep the aperture ring on A, and you can set the f-stop from the camera. All exposure modes will work fine (even flash, both external and internal).

Regarding the "crop factor", the lens will still be a 28-210mm, but the smaller sensor doesn't "see' the edges of the image circle produced by the lens. So it will give the same FOV that a 42-315mm would give you on your Super Program.
05-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the lens can bolt onto the camera you can use the camera. If you do not have an A on your aperture ring, you can use the camera in M mode, or Av mode with some limitations. If you search through the DSLR lens discussion you may be able to find more on using a MF lens with your camera. Hope this helps
05-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks egordon99 and Alvin for the responses. Yes the lens has an "A" on the aperture ring, so there should be no problem with the K100D working in one of the program modes...cool. The magnification of the lens will be the same: 28-210mm but the edges of the image will be clipped to a narrower FOV. I guess I can live with that.

Thanks guys!

Bill

05-16-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Borderline Quote
The magnification of the lens will be the same: 28-210mm but the edges of the image will be clipped to a narrower FOV. I guess I can live with that.

Thanks guys!

Bill
On the K100D, it will seem like a 42-315mm. That is why 18mm+/- is a common starting point for the wide end of zooms - that is almost like 28mm on "film" cameras.