Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Proper cleaning of your lens.

I use lenspens, microfiber cloth, sometimes breath on it when I can't remove a mark, etc. I do everything properly to clean a lens, I even watch youtube videos on how to do it. The problem is my lens looks clean and fresh when I look at it in natural lighting, it looks like there's nothing at all. But when I point my LED flash light at it, I can see small little dust dots which is not visible to the naked eye with natural lighting. Does your lens have this too? Is there a way to clean this off or is this natural and I should just leave it and it's clean enough with lens pens and microfiber cloth? Sometimes I think my lenspens is useless, it does the same thing my microfiber cloth can do and sometimes it can't even get the job done right.

08-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I use spit and the sleeve of my shirt. It works well enough.

c[_]

P.S. Lenspen for me - works good.
08-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks man, I'll try spit someday, I'll make sure I brush my teeth and chew Dentyne Arctic Chill before too so it stays fresh and clean.

I also have another question, well none of my lens has fungus right now, but I read somewhere that a substance called Ketaconazole can kill off fungus. I want to try this with my lens to kill off any fungus that may be lurking in my lens unnoticed. How do I use Ketaconazole to kill off fungus on my lens? Do I leave it open and store it in a box with my lens?

Does this thing work? Ketoconazole Rx, 200 mg x 100 Tabs - Pet Prescription Medications D-L - PetSupplies4Less.com

Do I put the pill in a cup of water and put the cup of water inside a cardboard box with my lenses nearby, and seal the box off?
08-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought a compressor, and sandblaster to clean my lenses and sensor. I don't have any specks on them. The scratches compliment my photographs, so I don't worry about them

About fungus. Once it starts you pretty much have to take the lens apart to clean them.
So your best bet is store your lenses properly, and hope that it doesn't start.

08-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
...it looks like there's nothing at all. But when I point my LED flash light at it, I can see small little dust dots which is not visible to the naked eye with natural lighting...
This is what I consider to be the point of "Clean Enough" so I don't waste my time/effort figuring out how to get them cleaner than this.

As soon as they go back in the bag or I pull them out to use them, they are dustier, and I can't see anything this small in the photographs.

There are better things to worry about, and your lens coatings will thank you for the minimized abrasion.

IMHO, of course.
08-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't remember when I last cleaned a lens that I was using. I never clean my lenses. I've seen more lenses damaged by cleaning than all other abuses combined.
The only time i clean a lens is when I am selling it. As I almost never sell lenses, this is a very rare event, and the only reason I clean them then is because people seem to think a clean lens is a more valuable lens.
08-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think Wheatfield is right on this. I use a lens pen but pretty much the only thing i do with it is use the brush end. Don't worry about any of that small dust, it'll never show up. I'm more concerned that a lot of agressive cleaning will damage those lens coatings.

08-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks you guys, I will leave it alone. Since all my lenses are "clean", I'll only use my rocket blower from now on to clean out the dust, I wouldn't want to damage my coatings.
08-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Thanks man, I'll try spit someday, I'll make sure I brush my teeth and chew Dentyne Arctic Chill before too so it stays fresh and clean.

I also have another question, well none of my lens has fungus right now, but I read somewhere that a substance called Ketaconazole can kill off fungus. I want to try this with my lens to kill off any fungus that may be lurking in my lens unnoticed. How do I use Ketaconazole to kill off fungus on my lens? Do I leave it open and store it in a box with my lens?

Does this thing work? Ketoconazole Rx, 200 mg x 100 Tabs - Pet Prescription Medications D-L - PetSupplies4Less.com

Do I put the pill in a cup of water and put the cup of water inside a cardboard box with my lenses nearby, and seal the box off?
As far as I know, Ketoconazole is used for treating dandruff.
Maybe you should try the shampoo head and shoulders or nizoral shampoo (joke).
For killing fungus, you have to use fungicide and I don't really know if Ketoconazole qualifies as a fungicide.
A fungus is a plant. It is the same family as mushrooms.
You can kill it with enough light (sunlight) exposure and deprivation of moisture.
Mushrooms (fungus) likes it damp and dark.
08-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I cleaned a Super Travenar 28mm lens with Zippo lighter fluid followed by soapy water today.

It was a VERY cheap junk shop find though, but it looks mint now. Whether it's a decent lens remains to be seen.
08-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All this rocket blower talk? I just use a tiny, cheap, brush/blower combo. I blow slight air if I have to, but mainly just brush the dust/dirt away with the bristles, and use a microfiber cloth and my breath to wipe away any fingerprints of coating marks.