Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two reasons.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
I don't get why people look at getting the 16mm fish to use on digital. You don't get a 180 degree angle of view, just a distorted wide angle. The 16mm works best on film.
Some of us are leery at spending an extra $300 for a lens that may be seldom used, after all a fisheye is a speciality lens. Or it may be like the OP that they simply don't even have the extra $300. If you have an extra $300 sitting around fine, some of us have to make do or do without. I personally would rather "make do". The Zenitar (as steve brot has correctly stated) does give some decent fish eye effect when used correctly.

The second reason is that the Zenitar can also be used on film cameras, the Pentax 10-17 cannot.

NaCl(try using your 10-17 on film sometime)H2O

08-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Some of us are leery at spending an extra $300 for a lens that may be seldom used, after all a fisheye is a speciality lens.
That's pretty much what I thought before I received the lens, a specialty item, I'll use it once in a while. Now that I've seen what it can do, it's getting as much exercise as anything in my bag. A fisheye can turn a humdrum photo into something unique and interesting, and the 17mm end is a very useable superwide. It's amazing to be able to photograph an entire building while standing on the sidewalk in front of it.
08-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #18
Banned

Since I have a great Sigma 15mm F2.8 full frame 180 fisheye that works great as a 15mm super wide angle on Pentax DSLRs I purchased the 6.5mm Opteka FishEye.

A test shot with it.
6.5mm Opteka @F8 HDR strong 1/30 sec 100iso

15mm F2.8 Sigma on my K-7

Last edited by jogiba; 08-24-2009 at 06:50 AM.
08-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Some of us are leery at spending an extra $300 for a lens that may be seldom used, after all a fisheye is a speciality lens. Or it may be like the OP that they simply don't even have the extra $300. If you have an extra $300 sitting around fine, some of us have to make do or do without. I personally would rather "make do". The Zenitar (as steve brot has correctly stated) does give some decent fish eye effect when used correctly.

The second reason is that the Zenitar can also be used on film cameras, the Pentax 10-17 cannot.

NaCl(try using your 10-17 on film sometime)H2O
I have used the 10-17 quite a bit since I bought it. I find it much more than just a specialty lens. The distortion is very controlable by careful framing. I have used it for inside shots and also at events and parties where it is very crowded and I have been able to get shots that I could never have been able to get with anything else. As for price, I think it's reasonable. I bought mine here in the Marketplace but its still available for under $400 new. This shot was taken in a very crowded competition where everyone was bumping into each other from around a couple of feet away. For me it has been worth every penny. I carry it in my bag everywhere.

Last edited by reeftool; 09-21-2009 at 09:59 AM.
08-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have used the 10-17 quite a bit since I bought it. I find it much more than just a specialty lens. The distortion is very controlable by careful framing. I have used it for inside shots and also at events and parties where it is very crowded and I have been able to get shots that I could never have been able to get with anything else. As for price, I think it's reasonable. I bought mine here in the Marketplace but its still available for under $400 new. This shot was taken in a very crowded competition where everyone was bumping into each other from around a couple of feet away. For me it has been worth every penny. I carry it in my bag everywhere.
I use my Zenitar quite frequently. BUT before I bought it I thought of it as a speciality lens. I dare say that most ppl have thought of it as a speciality lens before owning one, along the same lines that many ppl think a "true" macro lens is a speciality lens. I know they aren't...now. But back when I was debating the purchase, I thought otherwise. That perception influenced my purchase decision. I would agree that the 10-17 is a much better lens than the zenitar, but I could afford the zenitar, I couldn't afford the 10-17. The $300 price difference is not negligible for me, (and btw, both B&H and Adorama list it at over $450) and even knowing what I do now about fisheye lenses, a 10-17 is rather far down on my LBA list. What irked me about the post I originally responded to was the condescending attitude of the poster. Condescension is not something I respond well to.

NaCl(and you still can't use the 10-17 on 35mm film slr)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 08-24-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added pricing info