Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
odd lens cap on the Pentax DA 40 f/2.8 limited

Anybody else got the DA 40 limited and able to help me out here?

I'm wondering about the peculiar lens cap. Not about the fact that it's got to be screwed off. That's fine, I can't live with that. What I find odd is that you do NOT have to remove the lens cap entirely to shoot - or so it seems. The lens cap has a sort of doughnut design, with a little USA quarter-sized piece that can be removed in the middle. Since the lens opening is so small, it appears that you can shoot through that small hole without having to unscrew the lens cap entirely. Am I right? What is the point of this little hole in the lens cap option? I've never seen anything like this before. Is it unique?

Thanks,

Will

08-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the hood! The smaller center peice is the cap, and should come off before shooting. :-) The outer piece can stay on at all times, even on a film camera. It is fairly unique, but works well.

Enjoy the new lens!
08-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
The outer piece can stay on at all times, even on a film camera. It is fairly unique, but works well.
I was about to ask this ... Good to hear
08-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

A old fuji film canister top (the translucent white plastic kind) works really well to replace the small lens cap, much easier to remove and replace if it gets lost.

08-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Banned

yes, the small center piece is the cap. the larger piece is the hood. and I agree with the above post. a white/translucent cap from a fuji film canister is a perfect substitute for the original cap. no screwing on and off and no worries about losing it.
08-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Won't the black one coming from a roll of Velvia be more suitable for the lens?
08-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Won't the black one coming from a roll of Velvia be more suitable for the lens?
well certainly! but you can get some cheap fuji at the grocery store or what have you for the cap, without having to shell out for Velvia for which you'd likely have to buy online anyway.

08-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
That's the hood! The smaller center peice is the cap, and should come off before shooting. :-) The outer piece can stay on at all times, even on a film camera. It is fairly unique, but works well.

Enjoy the new lens!

Thanks Nick (and others who replied). So that's the hood, eh?? Does it actually DO anything?

As for reminding me to take off the cap before shooting, although I've been taking photographs for (oy, aging myself here) over 40 years, I still forget this basic rule from time to time. Last night, I was doing some flash experiments, thinking about flash exposure - not about the lens. Took half a dozen shots, increasing the flash power with each shot, trying to get something, anything to show up in the shot. Finally figured out that I hadn't removed the lens cap on the 40mm ltd.

Taking a shot of my #3 daughter (and favorite model) the other day just after the 40mm ltd arrived in the mail. She posed and then un-posed to point out that I didn't have a lens on the camera. She'd never seen a pancake lens before.

Thanks for the quick response.

Will
08-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
walter and séamuis, thanks for the tip about the Fuji film canister cap, which I will try. I am worried that I may lose the 40's lens cap pretty quickly, as it's so small.

Will
08-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
So that's the hood, eh?? Does it actually DO anything?
I know it prevents my fingers from wandering into the front element of the lens. It also blocks some stray light from entering the lens, which may result in glare and loss of contrast.

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
...thanks for the tip about the Fuji film canister cap, which I will try. I am worried that I may lose the 40's lens cap pretty quickly, as it's so small
Just for you, Will - I have an extra Fujifilm canister lid. Send me a PM with your snail mail address, I'll drop it in the mail to you.

See this post.

Last edited by SOldBear; 08-22-2009 at 12:44 PM.
08-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm curious if anyone has tried the DA 40 Limited hood on an FA 43 Limited. The 43's cap comes off nice and quick, but I sometimes wonder if the hood does much of anything.
08-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It should work as the lens is longer focal length I think... as long as it attaches of course
08-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
I'm curious if anyone has tried the DA 40 Limited hood on an FA 43 Limited.
Don't know about the FA43, but it works great on my FA50.
08-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
A old fuji film canister top (the translucent white plastic kind) works really well to replace the small lens cap, much easier to remove and replace if it gets lost.
Just about any camera store who develops film should have those caps. I think that we actually have some of the Velvia lids in our stockpile, doing nothing.

Personally if I had that lens I might be tempted to shoot through the translucent white lids, and see what sort of effect i get
08-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I know that for years people on this forum have suggested the fujifilm canister cap to replace the DA 40 screw-on cap, but lately a bunch of us have had success getting a standard 30mm snap-on lens cap from ebay or elsewhere, which fits the DA 40 hood great, and is obviously more conventional than using a film canister cap. Just another suggestion.