Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cheap, fast wide angle PK Petri 2/28mm

I spotted this lens the other day on that international auction site. BIN was already low but I made an (significantly lower) offer which was accepted so yesterday I picked it up from the post office.

There's not much info to be found on the web, but apparently this lens was made by Cosina. I took some shots with it today and I like it. Build quality is good (not Takumar-level though), barrel distortion is very low and min focusing distance is ~25cm. Wide open images are a bit soft but there's still lots of detail to be seen. When stopped to 2.8 (the next click) the softness is gone and sharpness is very good, at 5.6 sharpness is excellent.

Here's the lens:

Some test shots from today (all wide open f2):

100% crop:

Focused at close distances the wide open bokeh combined with the softness of the in focus parts produced surprisingly painting-like pictures. I think these are quite nice.

Last edited by ovim; 08-22-2009 at 09:56 PM.
08-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I picked up a 50mm f/2 Petri and shortly after 2X 50mm f/2 Cosinon, all faulty for parts. I have subsequently dismantled and fixed all of them and they are identical as far as I can tell so quite probably all made by the same factory. They are well built but I haven't got round to playing with them much yet so can't comment on optical quality.
08-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just remembered that I too have a M42 50mm Cosina which I got from my dad. Haven't used it much though if I remember right it was nothing spectacular. And the look of the lens is similar to this one.

There also seems to be an "Image 2/28" in the third party lens reviews which looks kind of similar although mine has 52mm filter thread.