Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How to remove dust on inside of smc DA?

Hi all,
I bought a used 18-55mm smc Pentax-DA lens off of ebay and the guy mailed it to me in a box full of shredded paper. He didn't even stick the lens in a bag!

I was happily taking pictures with it until I had a blue-sky photo and I noticed a ton of specks of dust all over the place. After I cleaned the CCD, and both ends of the lens I had only a few specks of dust show up. However, upon further inspection of the back of the lens I noticed a few specks of dust on the inside.

Is there any way I can clean the inside by myself? Or is this a job best left to professionals?

Thanks

Last edited by CPUFreak91; 08-22-2009 at 08:56 PM.
08-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

This is something best forgotten about. A few specks of dust won't hurt anything.
08-23-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Agreed. If this was an expensive lens, then you may consider having it professionally cleaned, but since its a kit lens, whoich are practially a dime a dozen, I'd forget about it and just use it. Unless you actually focus the lens on the dust itself, you'll probably never ever see it in any of your photos.

Jason
08-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I suspect those specs may still be from dust on the sensor.

08-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
Alrighty, I'll leave the dust on the inside alone and just get another lens if it shows up in too many photos.

I'll try to find something else to clean the sensor. Maybe something moist-ish? I've been using some dry sensor cleaning cloths.
08-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CPUFreak91 Quote
Alrighty, I'll leave the dust on the inside alone and just get another lens if it shows up in too many photos.

I'll try to find something else to clean the sensor. Maybe something moist-ish? I've been using some dry sensor cleaning cloths.
Dust inside a lens will not show up on photos.
The image you showed is from a really dirty sensor.
usually dust can just be blown off the sensor. I haven't had to wet clean a sensor yet in six years of DSLR use.
08-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Dust inside a lens will not show up on photos.
The image you showed is from a really dirty sensor.
usually dust can just be blown off the sensor. I haven't had to wet clean a sensor yet in six years of DSLR use.
Darn, the photo I included above was taken after I'd blown off the sensor and wiped it with a dry cloth

08-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CPUFreak91 Quote
Darn, the photo I included above was taken after I'd blown off the sensor and wiped it with a dry cloth
The dry cloth may be the culprit. This makes people cringe, but I use Dust-off for blowing off the sensors in my cameras. I generally don't do any cleaning until something shows up.
Dust on the sensor will show more at small f/stops and with high magnification images.
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hrm. That may be, but it was one of those non-fuzzy anti-static dust wand kits designed for that sorta thing. I too used dust-off but after making sure it wouldn't freeze anything.
08-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Try a Sensor Klear CCD cleaner pen. They work really well and are around 10 bucks.

Jason