Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Double Lens Cap

I just bought a dozen rear lens caps from FleaBay - cheap, about $1.10 each.

I use them to make double lens caps. Using Gorilla tape, I attach 2 lens caps back to back.

The double lens cap will make lens changing in a field a lot speedier and safer: With the double lens cap already attached to the new lens, I detach the old lens from the camera body, then attach the old lens to the available side of double lens cap, then detach the new lens from the cap and attach the new lens to the body. I don't feel the need for 3 paws and this significantly reduces the chance of dropping a lens.

Try it, it's likely that you'll like it. There's nothing to lose.

Make sure that you always hold on to the lenses. Think of this as a way to keep the cap attached to the lenses, not the lenses attached to the cap.

Last edited by SOldBear; 08-23-2009 at 11:29 AM.
08-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
TKH
Veteran Member

Nice work, but I saw this at friend tzcobrettis Bag as lens caps glue together with a strong patex so you need no (and see no) tape.

Best,
Rainer
08-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like this idea very much. Not much more room taken up in the bag, safer, and probably cleaner.

An added bonus is that you'd be able to keep your original caps safely at home for better resale down the line, if you're one to worry about such things.
08-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I actually have been contemplating on buying these caps on ebay but am a bit reserved..not about the function though but more about the price and the quality of the product.
I have actually thought about something similar before but found out that they where already marketing the stuff.
Nice job on the tape though..brilliant alternative.

08-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I have actually thought about something similar before but found out that they where already marketing the stuff.
Nice job on the tape though..brilliant alternative.
Yeah, I know double lens caps are commercially available.

Op/Tech makes them. I'm sure they're good. But I'm just too cheap....

It's $19 a copy

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
...a bit reserved..not about the function though but more about the price and the quality of the product.
Price: It's $5.88 + $2 for 5 caps. 10 caps for $5.88 X 2 + $3 shipping.

Quality: Not as good as Pentax (the one with large base to cover the electrical contact), but not far behind. After all, what can go wrong with lens caps?