Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Dom

Having problems buying 77mm Ltd?

I went into my local camera shop in Cheater (UK) today and asked if they have any Pentax 77mm Ltd lenses in or could they get hold of one for my? I got a bit of a blank stare, '77mm lens, are you sure', 'is that the focal length', 'is it fixed focal length' Yes I'm positive I said.

Now bearing in mind that this shop is a Pentax stockist and have loads of Pentax camera in the window I was a bit surprised. Anyhow after some explaining I should have my nice new shiny and uber cool lens on Friday. If I'm in a good mode I may even let them have a look at it.

The question is have any of you lovely people had anything similar when trying to find stuff?

08-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yep, even at Henrys which is a HUGE local chain with knowledgabel staff were absolutely flummoxed as to what a 77 was.
08-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The last time I looked the Pentax Canada website didn't even mention any LTD lenses
Although if you ever dealt with Pentax Canada you'd understand why. They're 2 levels above Useless
08-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, the whole photography World should know what you're talking about when you say The 77. Same goes for The 31. Sometimes it's just so difficult dealing with the ignorant masses...

I mean, really.

08-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Their loss.
Obviously money doesn't talk enough for them to know about their own gear...
08-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well how about here, in this forum:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/70623-sale-fa-77mm-ltd.html
08-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Their loss.
Obviously money doesn't talk enough for them to know about their own gear...
There fairly good in there and have one on order for my should be in on Friday.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I've already left a reply on the tread.
08-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I bought mine from Henry's (after they price matched Aden Camera which was close to $200 cheaper at the time...woot!).

When I walked in and asked if they could get one for me to check out the guy said...that's an awesome lens you are gonna love it.

He was right.

c[_]

08-26-2009, 03:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Had much the same response at a Teds store here in OZ when requesting an FA31 limited.

"Never heard of it.. can you repeat, I'll check it on the computer, ..nope give us your phone number and I will contact you."

Ordered and delivered from B&H USA in 5 days... which was 3 days before Teds called back with a reply that they can order and deliver in around 14 days and at a cost of an extra $250 above what I paid after exchange rate.

Neil
08-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #10

Got that In a Camerahouse in Sydney that stocks Pentax too.

"Are you sure it's 77mm?"

"Yes"

"Are you sure it's not discontinued?"

"Quite Sure"

"I guess I can call our distributor"

(on phone) "Really? You have them in stock? Is this a new line? How many years?"

(off phone) "Yeah we can get you one for (crazy price)"

"Yeah, I'll think about it, how about a 31mm?"
08-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
I went into my local camera shop...

The question is have any of you lovely people had anything similar when trying to find stuff?
I actually had a contrasting experience at a local camera shop (Penn Camera in Fair Lakes, VA) on my first visit there several months ago.

I had called them to ask if they'd clean my K20D sensor but it just so happened, they had a free class teaching how to clean dSLR sensors that evening. I promptly showed up, of course. After the instruction, I was talking to a salesman about accessories for Pentax and he said they carried very little if anything, specific. He also said quite a few non-pleasant things about Pentax the company, how they treated retailers, and went on to talk bad about their products. As I listened, he then said if there was one single reason for anyone to go with a Pentax system, it was the 77mm Ltd. He concluded by saying that nothing he had ever tried came close to matching it.

Soon after I got one in Silver and the rest is just history.
08-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #12
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by Skyntara Quote
Got that In a Camerahouse in Sydney that stocks Pentax too.

"Are you sure it's 77mm?"

"Yes"

"Are you sure it's not discontinued?"

"Quite Sure"

"I guess I can call our distributor"

(on phone) "Really? You have them in stock? Is this a new line? How many years?"

(off phone) "Yeah we can get you one for (crazy price)"

"Yeah, I'll think about it, how about a 31mm?"
Sound very similar to how my conversation went Lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I actually had a contrasting experience at a local camera shop (Penn Camera in Fair Lakes, VA) on my first visit there several months ago.

I had called them to ask if they'd clean my K20D sensor but it just so happened, they had a free class teaching how to clean dSLR sensors that evening. I promptly showed up, of course. After the instruction, I was talking to a salesman about accessories for Pentax and he said they carried very little if anything, specific. He also said quite a few non-pleasant things about Pentax the company, how they treated retailers, and went on to talk bad about their products. As I listened, he then said if there was one single reason for anyone to go with a Pentax system, it was the 77mm Ltd. He concluded by saying that nothing he had ever tried came close to matching it.

Soon after I got one in Silver and the rest is just history.
Sound like your salesman has the prejudiced shown by most conikon users. Lol

I can't wait to pick my lens up, just a couple more hours.
08-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #13

You can't stock everything. It costs money. They have to balance the cost of stocking items that don't move quickly with having some high-priced items available for impulse buyers. I'm glad I'm not in retail.
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
You can't stock everything. It costs money. They have to balance the cost of stocking items that don't move quickly with having some high-priced items available for impulse buyers. I'm glad I'm not in retail.
I don't mind them not having stuff in stock It's just the guys in the shop didn't know out the legendary FA 77mm. After I'd explained what I was after they were great and got it in for me. I picked it up this morning and the short amount of time I've had to play with it, it's and awesome lens!

When I picked it up I let the guys in the shop have a look at it and they were very impressed.