Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man BJ Quote
Now , I am setting up a new system and I really like the look of the DA Ltd lenses for the same reason. However, I have looked at some reviews of these lenses, and while most always comment about the superb construction and finish, they all seem to rate these lenses as quite average optically.
"Quite average"? Which reviews say that? The ones I see generally say they might be a fraction of a notch below the FA limiteds, but still heads and sholder above most other lenses.

QuoteQuote:
I am particularly interested in the 15 f4, and the 21 f3.2.
These are probably the least well-regarded of the DA limiteds, FWIW. And it is true dpreview slammed the 15/4, but I wouldn't take one review of one lenses as a statement that as a whole they are anything but truly excellent. The problem with calling even the 15/4 "quite average" is, what else is there to compare it against? There's really nothing remotely like it. If it isn't heads and shoulders above the 12-24 optically, it still beats the pants off it in size. And when the only point of comparison for this lens is one of the best zooms Pentax has ever made, I think settling for "average" - meaning exactly as good as one of the best zooms Pentax has ever made - is perfectly reasonable.

08-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Not to mention that I've really come to like the quick-shift feature on the DA Limiteds!
Yes especially with the video capability of the K-7 in my case.
08-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out my photo gallery with some examples of DA40 and DA70 images. I'd be surprised if you didn't find the quality to be excellent. I don't have the DA15 or DA21, but both are on my wish list, and I don't think one can go wrong with any of the DA Ltds.

Pentax Primes Photo Gallery by regor at pbase.com
08-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

This is like a DA LTD 'love in'. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I have the 40 and 70 and would never part with them. Tiny, light, fast AF, great built and wonderfull pictures. I was using cheap n nasty sigma lenses before i got my first DA LTD.... i had to learn how to not PP my images so much. All of a sudden contrast, saturation and sharpness hardly even need a little bump.

mike

08-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I have the DA35 and the DA70. I don't really like the FL of the DA70 for everyday use, but it is a superb portrait lens.

The DA35, on the other hand, would be the last lens I'd part with if you took them away one by one. It's easily the best lens I've ever owned...
08-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #21

Original Poster
Many thanks everyone,

After the suggestions about buying from the States, I checked out the B&H site and they sure do have good prices. In particular, a great price on the K20D, as I suppose its a run out model now. It would be nice to have a new K7 but I'm more tempted to go for the K20D and put the rest into those delicious primes. I can always get another body later. I'm going to email B&H and see what the situation is regarding international warranty and shipping to NZ.

Like I said, you all seem pretty happy campers with your primes and I'm convinced they are just what I wanted. But, not being familiar with the modern Pentax lenses, are the zooms like the 12-24 really that good? and are you not just paying a premium for the Pentax name as I understand they are Tokina lenses.

Cheers, John
08-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you look at Photozone's review of the DA 70 and FA 77(Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited - Review / Test Report), Klaus really comes down on the line. Seems to indicate that the DA 70 is sharper edge to edge, faster focusing and with less purple fringing, but also with less wide aperture and bokeh not as good. I think that if you compare the FA limiteds to the DA limiteds, you will find this to be similar across the board.

For me, the thing that pushed me towards the DA limiteds is a combination of cheapness, size and the new adjustments that are made in the K7. They are definitely excellent, very sharp, contrasty lenses.

Others have decided in the opposite way, to go for the wider apertured FA limiteds. Both are excellent, but at the same time different.

On the subject of Tokina/Pentax, I don't think anyone fully understands this relationship. They definitely design some lenses together -- the DA *16-50, DA* 50-135, and DA 12-24 are all examples. Tokina does not release any of their lenses in a K Mount. That said, none of the limiteds (except for the DA 35) are available from Tokina in any mount. Seems like those are Pentax's baby all the way and one of the things that makes the K Mount special.

08-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

But, not being familiar with the modern Pentax lenses, are the zooms like the 12-24 really that good? and are you not just paying a premium for the Pentax name as I understand they are Tokina lenses.
There was some sort of joint venture between Pentax and Tokina on som of the recent DA lenses, but the general consensus is that you have it backwards - they are basically Pentax designs that Tokina uses for other mounts. Or at most they are collaborative designs. The only out-and-out rebadge of a third party lens in Pentax' current lineup is the 18-250, which is a Tamron.

Anyhow, the 12-24 and 50-135 are the ones most highly rated. And to a lesser extent, the 16-50 - lesser both because of some perceived quality control problems in the early days, but also because - unlike with the 50-135 - there are very good third party alternatives as well.
08-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #24

Hi all,

Being an engineer, I really appreciate good mechanical quality of gear. Many years ago, I was the proud owner of a new Spotmatic and some Takumar lenses and I really miss their beautiful tactile feel and quality. Now , I am setting up a new system and I really like the look of the DA Ltd lenses for the same reason. However, I have looked at some reviews of these lenses, and while most always comment about the superb construction and finish, they all seem to rate these lenses as quite average optically. I print my own up to a maximum of A3 or 13x19 inches, and so I would love to hear from any members who own some Ltd lenses about their opinions as to what quality I could expect? For some unknown reason Pentax are not well represented here in New Zealand with a lot of shops not even stocking Pentax. However I can get the gear from Australia sent over without much problem. I am particularly interested in the 15 f4, and the 21 f3.2. Any feedback would be appreciated.

John
Hi John,

Are you just in the process of transitioning from your Spotmatic? If so, you may want to get accustomed to the smaller APS-C viewfinder first, before deciding on lens(es). I found that it's not the reduced FOV, but the reduced magnification that's hard to get used to. Everything appears smaller as the lens get wider. I'd go to local store and try out any camera with kit lens, usually 18-55mm, and play with it. It'll give you some idea where you want to be for fixed-focal-length. (Try out Canon 40D/50D, as it comes with a 28-135mm lens).

As for DA-limited vs FA, you can't go wrong with either. FA series is missing super wides, anyway. Whichever series you decide to start, chances are you'll stick with it and will end up getting the rest of them eventually.
08-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #25

Original Poster
Sorry,
I should have made it clear. I had the Pentax many years ago and have been out of photography (seriously) for a while. I do have a Sony DSC-R1 which I use. Its an APS-C size sensor and believe me the Zeiss lens is capable of really good results. My main interest would be in landscape, so I'm not concerned as such with the speed of the lens. Infact, the Zeiss zoom is so good, thats why I was steered towards the Pentax primes. And I am considering also the Canon 50d with there "L" lenses. I actually like Pentax gear better, but a big plus with the Canon is they have set up shop in a big way in New Zealand. Canon NZ Ltd have their own service centres etc and you can get anything they make at a reasonable cost. Why is it I always favour the underdog?

John
08-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I don't really like the FL of the DA70 for everyday use, but it is a superb portrait lens.
Yes, it has its limitation, particularly indoors, or in close quarters. Otherwise, taking a few of steps back is usually enough to fit the scene in. It certainly takes a while to get used to it, though, when swapping in a DA35 or DA40, as the FOV is nearly halved.

I don't get this "portrait lens" stuff, however. Nothing personal, btw, lest I be deemed rude. But what's the implication, that we open a shop round back and take passport photos only with this type lenses, and wait for those infrequent portrait customers? What if there is nobody to take portrait of or nobody to pose for portrait, like kids?

And supposedly, "DA-55 is the new FA-85." Well, I'll be awaiting the new DA-135, if there is ever to be one, as the new FA-85.
08-27-2009, 01:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gidday John,
I know what you mean about Pentax stocks in NZ !
I have one Ltd lens the DA40 and I am very happy with the image quality.
Bought it from Aussie after comparing yank prices. It's got an international warranty.
Here and here are two dealers that have genuine products and export to NZ.
Nothing wrong with supporting the 'underdog'
Pete
08-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #28

I am fortunate enough to own the complete series of both the DA and FA Limiteds. The DA limiteds are really exceptional modern lenses amidst the horde of polycarbonate-based lenses you'll find today. But the FA limiteds are true gems, a couple of notches above the DA limiteds, in terms of both built and optical qualities. Sadly, the Made in Japan series are discontinued. The last few batches may still be available new- grab them before they attain the ridiculous prices of the FA*s.

Last edited by scorpioh; 08-27-2009 at 06:40 AM.
08-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I am particularly interested in the 15 f4, and the 21 f3.2. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I owned the 40 and the 21. The 40 blew me away with how sharp it was and how great the images from it were. The 21 was a really nice focal length but didn't really have the same impact -- it seemed a little more average.