Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

LBA: Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited

Hi all,

I was doing very well and hadn't bought a lens for over a year and half. But recently I have been getting a little restless and been frequenting photographic forums a bit more often than usual. One thing led to another, I started reading lens reviews and the next thing I knew I was checking out lens prices! And worst of all, I actually found a very competitive price on DA70Ltd in a local shop, here in Melbourne, Australia!

Anyway, cutting the story short, I dropped into the shop during my lunch break on Monday and got myself my very first Pentax Limited lens, DA70! As the luck has it, I bumped into two of my friends from work as I was going out to take some test shots and they had kindly agreed to be my models for the test shots Here is the very first two shots from DA70mm:

And here is some other random shots I took in the last couple of days:

So far, I have been very very happy with the lens. Focus speed is fast and accurate. The lens is sharp, colour is to my liking and the lens construction is faultless!

P.S.
For those interested, Vanbar (VANBAR IMAGING) has DA70 for AU$566.50 which is about $100 cheaper than some of the bigger retail shops here.

Cheers
Kenny

Last edited by kjao; 08-26-2009 at 03:39 AM. Reason: smily face
08-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It's a beautiful lens and you're putting it to good use. Do you find it fast enough for a portrait lens? I got mine along with the 40 and 21 DA limiteds to make LBA quick and somewhat painless.

Adam
08-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

I've purchased a DA70 recently, too. Unlike you, I hadn't been restless for a new lens, and had reasoned that I should get it while I could still afford it (in case I was to get laid off). Well, it's a great, little lens indeed, just like the DA40, possibly better. I like its reach and FOV better, particularly as a walk-around-town lens. I can see that the DA40 getting relegated for indoor duty mostly.

I haven't been able to go out and use the lens much since acquiring it, due to extreme heat in the region. A few, nondescript images nonetheless:

08-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats, it'll give you a lifetime of beautiful images.
LBA is like our immune system - too much and it can be overwhelmed, too little and it leaves you susceptible to a more serious sickness next time you're ill.

08-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Terrific portraits and test shots. I was curious how you found the autofocus with the lens for portraits? What kind of apertures were you using? Were you using the center-focus point and recomposing or selecting another autofocus point? How loud is the autofocus motor compared to other lenses?

Sorry for the questions but this lens is on my "next to buy" list and I was looking for opinions... nice coincidence that your thread popped up.
08-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who has commented so far!

Photong: I find the lens fast enough for portrait so far! But please bear in mind I have only got the lens for 4 days. If I need anything faster, I will probably use my FA50/1.4 or K85/1.8 =)

Rich A: No problem with the AF and it is very fast, probably as fast as my FA135/2.8 (which is known to have fast AF speed among Pentax lenses). The two portraits were taken at F4 from memory. I always use selective focus and yes, center-focus point was used in the portraits. As for the AF loudness, I can't really say since I have never used any SDM lenses before. All I can say is I haven't noticed it being particular loud, ie it hasn't bothered me for me to notice it.

Cheers!
Kenny
08-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

DA 70/2.4 not just for portraits

The DA 70 is, of course, primarily a portrait lens. You can use for other things however. Here's a few from the Elora Gorge.

Tom G

08-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #8

Ha, may I ask it your lens barrel wobbles?
08-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
Ha, may I ask it your lens barrel wobbles?
Now, now, did you have to dampen the excitement of this recent purchase, or the joy of such IQ?

I believe that it's not a bug/wobble, Kenny, just a "feature" of the quick-shift manual-focus, which would've been difficult to implement with damping and linkage. And your images prove that light still bends thru the DA70and converges on the sensor as intended.
08-28-2009, 05:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice friends! Ehhhh, nice lens, I mean.

I've one myself (DA 70 ltd.....) and I love it.