Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I'm gonna go ahead and make a vow that if I end up reselling it here on the marketplace it'll be substantially below market value (if market value is anything like what Peter indicates).

Wish it came with one of the wooden tripods they originally came with!

Here's a question, though...

I just bought a Kenko 1.5x TC (K-mount, obviously). Can this lens be coupled with a K-mount TC if it's wearing a M42->K-Mount adapter?
I'm OK with this as long as I'm on the list of sell to

08-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #17
D W
Veteran Member

Basically the 1000 was sold for the going ebay price of a 500. We all must have been asleep!
08-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
Basically the 1000 was sold for the going ebay price of a 500. We all must have been asleep!
To be fair, it was disguised as a 500.
08-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gotta say that's one of the most futzed-up ebay listings I've ever seen!

Anyway, I have a K-mount SMC 1000mm f8 and it looks very much like those pictures (except for the "Takumar" part.) so I'm guessing it's the screw mount version. If so, and it's in decent condition it was a very good deal (especially if the case is included.). I'm having a lot of fun with mine. If it's the 500mm Tak in good condition (I've had one of those, too) it's still a reasonably good buy--although I was less impressed by the optics.

08-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

With this lens when you "screw" it in you're probably screwing in the camera to the lens rather than vice versa....
08-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

so 1000mm isn't shaky enough for you. Sure go add a TC. then report back how easy it is to focus on something like the USA flag on the moon.

Yes you can do it.

Others know better than I do but I'd suggest looking for one of those old surveyors wooden tripods with the metal heads. Heavy has hell but solid. Then mount a gimbal head to it and you should have a good platform to shoot with.
08-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
so 1000mm isn't shaky enough for you. Sure go add a TC. then report back how easy it is to focus on something like the USA flag on the moon.

Thanks for the encouragement, Peter.
08-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm returning for refund a SMC 1000mm lens. What was described as fungus only on the front element turned out to be fungus right through the lens. Yep they are beasts. For fixing to the camera there is a detachable section with the bayonet so it's mount the lens on the tripod and pop on the camera. The fixing setup is pretty decent.

08-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Others know better than I do but I'd suggest looking for one of those old surveyors wooden tripods with the metal heads. Heavy has hell but solid. Then mount a gimbal head to it and you should have a good platform to shoot with.
I'm using Manfrotto 055XB legs and 393 Gimbal head but I've pretty much given up on shooting with the remote or MLU because I still get side-to-side vibration. It seems to me the head is the problem: the lens is so durn long, the slightest touch makes it wiggle. Except with the most motionless subjects, I shoot hands-on.
08-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Dave, you can buy (or make) an arm that mounts near the front of the lensand extends down to one of the lower tripod legs. It will greatly steady the lens but makes shooting a bit slower. IMO (I have a set) the 055's just are not heavy enough though. You need weight to absorb the vibrations even from the ground when you move near the tripod.

Back when I shot BetaCams (25-30 Lb cameras) we used tripods with triple legs that weighed as much as the cameras. Anything lighter was a waste. One of our tripods was a modified surveryor unit and it did a fine job.
08-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, every idea I've had so far to dampem the vibes has been ineffectual or too cumbersome but let me try the surveyor legs.
08-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
I'm returning for refund a SMC 1000mm lens. What was described as fungus only on the front element turned out to be fungus right through the lens. Yep they are beasts. For fixing to the camera there is a detachable section with the bayonet so it's mount the lens on the tripod and pop on the camera. The fixing setup is pretty decent.
Hmm, is yours k-mount or M42? Not sure if the Takumar has the same system, but that sounds convenient if it does.
08-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
I think I remember the one you are talking about. Was it from an Australia sale?
08-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Hmm, is yours k-mount or M42? Not sure if the Takumar has the same system, but that sounds convenient if it does.
Since the one you just won has Super-Multi-Coated Takumar on the lens. The only difference between it and the K version is the camera mount. I use a telescope tripod for my 500mm f4.5 Tak.
08-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

It's the K mount Deadwolfbones, quite the clever attach the lens to the camera system too I might add. Yep Blue, that was the one mentioned recently and an Australian sale. It turned out the seller was a member here who hasn't appeared on the forum recently. I won't reveal his username though. What I will be doing is monitoring how he lists the item and if I consider he is not being honest then I'm reporting as much to Ebay.