Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

For under 250$ the FA50/1.4 is a great choice... however... I'd go for the K135/2.5 (non bayonet)... but that's me...

08-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
unfortunately there seems to be an endless supply

someone once said the total intelligence of the world is a constant. The population is growing.
From what I've seen that gives mankind too much credit
08-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
the da* 50-135 is _awesome_ for kids. it's out of the price range of the lenses at the top, but it's really sweet for that type of work.
That would also be my first choice. If in a more confined space however, I would use the 16-50. I am going to get the 55 1.4 before Christmas and wold use that if my subject was reasonably static allowing me to frame by using my legs to zoom.
08-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
... I'd go for the K135/2.5 (non bayonet)... but that's me...
can you explain this please, there is no such thing as a K135 F2.5 non bayonet.

All K lenses are bayonet.

Do you mean SMC Takumar or Super Takumar M42 lenses? or SMC Takumar 135 F2.5 bayonet mount?

If so, I think everyone will tell you of the 135F2.5 lenses the SMC Pentax 135F2.5 (K mount as this is how they are referred to by Pentax) is optically the best.

08-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
can you explain this please, there is no such thing as a K135 F2.5 non bayonet.

All K lenses are bayonet.

Do you mean SMC Takumar or Super Takumar M42 lenses? or SMC Takumar 135 F2.5 bayonet mount?

If so, I think everyone will tell you of the 135F2.5 lenses the SMC Pentax 135F2.5 (K mount as this is how they are referred to by Pentax) is optically the best.
I'm sure somebody is more knowledgeable than I am... but there was 2 versions of that lens in K-mount... the earlier one, which was just a remake of the original Super-Tak in the K-mount... and the later, cheaper one, which started the whole series of rather mediocre 135mm lenses... that cheaper one has nothing writen on the front ring and it's marked "bayonet" on the side... these go for about 80$ on a really good day, and for a good reason...

Here's a good thread on these...
08-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
Thanks, I know longer lens would give pretty shallow DOF and could be used for Portraiture with amazing results.
It's not the shallower DOF that makes longer lenses better for portraits - it's the fact that you can fill the frame with a face, or head and shoulders, without needing to shoot from so close. Less then a few feet away tends not to be the most flattering perspective, as it can make noses and ears look more pronounced, for instance.

QuoteQuote:
Therefore I am looking for primes. 77mm ltd is great but price is bit higher for my budgetary allotments.
DA70 is a really obvious alternative here, as is the Sigma 70mm macro.

QuoteQuote:
But I am lurking for DA 40mm ltd
A great lens to be sure, but really short for portraits, except maybe for small groups, or perhaps couples. In fact, I don't know that it even focuses close enough to fill the frame with a face.
08-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
I'm sure somebody is more knowledgeable than I am... but there was 2 versions of that lens in K-mount... the earlier one, which was just a remake of the original Super-Tak in the K-mount... and the later, cheaper one, which started the whole series of rather mediocre 135mm lenses... that cheaper one has nothing writen on the front ring and it's marked "bayonet" on the side... these go for about 80$ on a really good day, and for a good reason...

Here's a good thread on these...
there was a thread comparing the optical designs of the SMC takumar 135F2.5 (M42) and the SMC-Pentax 135F2.5 (K mount) the optical formulas are different, there was a k mount takumar as well, which is as you point out an inferior lens.

08-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If we are allowed to throw in manual focus and M42 stuff, here is my 2-cent's worth:
  • Super/S-M-C/SMC Takumar 55/1.8
  • Pentax-K 55/1.8
  • Helios 44M 58/2
I have both the FA 77/1.8 Limited and Jupiter-9 85/2 and have found both lenses to be great for portraits, but a touch too long on APS-C if shooting indoors or where working space is limited. My 50mm lenses work pretty well, but the sweet spot is just a little longer, hence the 55s and 58.

I would particularly recommend the Helios. At the risk of further driving the price up, I would direct the reader to search for images on this site taken with this very inexpensive and underrated lens. Gus (igilligan) has made particularly good use of his copy and is the primary Helios evangelist around here.

Steve

BTW...both the FA 77 and J-9 simply ROCK for portraits on the 35mm film format...
08-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another reason for longer FL for portrait is that below maybe 40mm, you get the "fat face and big nose" effect. A 50-85mm lens will make you stand back, which reduces distortion, and they have a subtle face-slimming effect as well. In addition, minor skin blemishes are "in your face" close up with say a 31mm, but standing back with a 70 they're not so bad it seems.

For portraits, I've enjoyed the DA 70mm f/2.4 Ltd, the DA*50-135 f/2.8.
08-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
Showing-off was a joke. I hope you understand what people make of persons who are using Pentax gear where market is dominated by others. I use to have conversation with lot of Photographers here in India and most think that Pentax is cheap and substandard.

Atindra
Do you care what car your neighbour drives, or what toothpaste someone else uses? Not likely.

If someone wants to chat cameras I'm all ears. If someone wants to disrespect someone's choice in gear for whatever reason - I'm sorry, but I don't have the time for it.

I take pictures for personal enjoyment and to make money. If I see someone else who is enthusiastic about photography (at whatever level) - then they are a friend.

The pictures you take will speak volumes - your gear is just a means to get you where you want to go.

c[_]