Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which Better lens for Portraiture?

I am thinking to buy some good lens for portraits-specially of my Kid.

I was thinking FA 50mm f/1.4 or DA 40mm f/2.8 Ltd. I like the design, looks and size of DA 40mm Ltd but have to see it in person. I was thinking IQ wise which would be better? Because FA lens is quite 1 stop faster than Ltd lens.

Atindra

08-27-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

to a point I find the longer the lens the better for Portraiture.
Although I've used my 50mm lenses, I prefer my 55mm. I also shoot a few at 70mm, using my Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8.
Plus I use my 200mm f2.8 from time to time as well.

I'd never consider using anything under 50mm, unless it's for a group sesson.

Personally, if I still shot Pentax I'd look at the 77mm limited for Portraiture as well.
08-27-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In terms of design, I like the DA40 better. It is smaller and seems to auto focus faster (less noisy for sure). I also like the DA40's color rendering better.

But if you take photos in available light, the FA50 has the advantage of 2 stops faster. That's important for kid photos. It also costs less.

I recommend the FA50 (knowing you will add the DA40 later )
08-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
Damn Brit

A zoom is especially useful for the candid kind of portrait. Shooting from a distance enables you to catch them acting naturally.
The shorter the focal length, the more in their face you have to be.

08-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
to a point I find the longer the lens the better for Portraiture.
Although I've used my 50mm lenses, I prefer my 55mm. I also shoot a few at 70mm, using my Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8.
Plus I use my 200mm f2.8 from time to time as well.

I'd never consider using anything under 50mm, unless it's for a group sesson.

Personally, if I still shot Pentax I'd look at the 77mm limited for Portraiture as well.
Thanks, I know longer lens would give pretty shallow DOF and could be used for Portraiture with amazing results. But in home sometimes I find odd to hang around with long lenses and kids get overly attracted to touch the equipments. Therefore I am looking for primes. 77mm ltd is great but price is bit higher for my budgetary allotments.

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
In terms of design, I like the DA40 better. It is smaller and seems to auto focus faster (less noisy for sure). I also like the DA40's color rendering better.

But if you take photos in available light, the FA50 has the advantage of 2 stops faster. That's important for kid photos. It also costs less.

I recommend the FA50 (knowing you will add the DA40 later )
You are pushing me to LBA.. But anyway I think FA 50mm f/1.4 is tempting me. But I am lurking for DA 40mm ltd because of a show-off reason---yes its true. Sporting Pancake on my slr would make a spectacular scene for my friends in India who generally dont care about Pentax-

Thanks for response,
Atindra
08-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
A zoom is especially useful for the candid kind of portrait. Shooting from a distance enables you to catch them acting naturally.
The shorter the focal length, the more in their face you have to be.
So Garry you suggest zoom+fast lens for Kids portraiture over primes and Ltds?

Atindra
08-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
Damn Brit

If it's in the house Atindra, a faster, shorter prime is probably going to be what you need and you could probably go for a cheaper, used, manual focus lens. The 40 may be too slow.
Outside, speed is not so necessary but the length and versatility of a zoom may be more desirable.
Of course if you want to combine LBA and the best for portraits, the 77LTD would be the way to go I think.

08-27-2009, 03:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

$200 for the FA50 is an absolute steal for the lens' ability and quality. It is perfect for taking pics of kids (distance wise). It's our go to lens in our business because of it's versatility. Everyone should own this lens it's that good.

If you want a lens to show off to your friends/colleagues then I can't help you - my gear is for taking pictures, not conversation pieces.

c[_]
08-27-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
$200 for the FA50 is an absolute steal for the lens' ability and quality. It is perfect for taking pics of kids (distance wise). It's our go to lens in our business because of it's versatility. Everyone should own this lens it's that good.

If you want a lens to show off to your friends/colleagues then I can't help you - my gear is for taking pictures, not conversation pieces.

c[_]
Showing-off was a joke. I hope you understand what people make of persons who are using Pentax gear where market is dominated by others. I use to have conversation with lot of Photographers here in India and most think that Pentax is cheap and substandard.

Atindra
08-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If it's in the house Atindra, a faster, shorter prime is probably going to be what you need and you could probably go for a cheaper, used, manual focus lens. The 40 may be too slow.
Outside, speed is not so necessary but the length and versatility of a zoom may be more desirable.
Of course if you want to combine LBA and the best for portraits, the 77LTD would be the way to go I think.
Thanks Gary,
77LTD is on my roadmap of 2011.

Atindra
08-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might want to consider as well the samyang 85mm f1.4 for the price it is really a solid performer,

there are many posts about it in the forum

you already have noted a 50mm F1.4 as well, and 77 F1.8

all are good if you want to experiment with shallow DOF
08-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
So Garry you suggest zoom+fast lens for Kids portraiture over primes and Ltds?

Atindra
I would second Gary. Kids are moving all the time. They hardly ever will sit still at a given place, so it is an advantage to have a wider field of view within the turn of the zoom ring. I have made loads of children's portraits, bnoth formal and candid over the last years and very often find myself using the FA 28-70/2.8. That or the equivalent (but much more affordable) Tamron lens would be (in fact it is) my first choice.

Apart from that, for indoor shots, when I know the kid will be fixed at a certain place (velcro on the trousers and the chair works wonders... ) I sometimes use a 80/1.4 or the 50/1.4. Very rarely I use something wider.

Ben
08-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

the da* 50-135 is _awesome_ for kids. it's out of the price range of the lenses at the top, but it's really sweet for that type of work.
08-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
Showing-off was a joke. I hope you understand what people make of persons who are using Pentax gear where market is dominated by others. I use to have conversation with lot of Photographers here in India and most think that Pentax is cheap and substandard.

Atindra
Around these parts we have a word for people like that: "idiot."
08-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Around these parts we have a word for people like that: "idiot."
unfortunately there seems to be an endless supply

someone once said the total intelligence of the world is a constant. The population is growing.