Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't buy anything....I'd reach in my bag and pull out the SMC Takumar 55/1.8 that's already in there and cost me a whopping ten bucks.

08-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #32

I bought three primes some years ago that are my portrait lenses. I use my 50mm f/1.7 most often, my 35mm f/2 fairly often, and my 77mm occasionally.
08-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
I am considering these 3 based on pricing reason.

1. Tamron 90mm f2.8
2. Sigma EX 70mm f2.8
3. DA70mm f2.4.

Now yes I am aware of the FA77 f1.8 and as much as I'd love to I can't yet justify the costs of the lense.

I already have DA40 and love it. The fast that the first two are 1:1 macro really interests me, however overall image quality and colour comes first.
I've got the DA70 and it is a fantastic lens, but don't take my words for it, look at images. Here's one of mine that I think shows it's characteristic rather well:

08-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #34

These are from my DA 70mm,
they are not human portraits : ), well, still can give some idea.
f/3.2

08-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lowell, that is a great shot!
08-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Lowell, that is a great shot!
Thanks

Not to be seen as Anti pentax, or anti limiteds, I am still waiting to hear what a 77 limited, or a jupiter 9 would have done differently or better.

I am not advocating that this is the absolute greatest lens ever, but I would love to know what paying about double for the 77 limited, or between 4 and 7 times to get one of the various Pentax 85mm F1.4 lenses gives you in addition.

I bought this because I absolutely gave up trying to get an SMC 85mm F1.8
08-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
I am considering these 3 based on pricing reason.

1. Tamron 90mm f2.8
2. Sigma EX 70mm f2.8
3. DA70mm f2.4.

Now yes I am aware of the FA77 f1.8 and as much as I'd love to I can't yet justify the costs of the lense.

I already have DA40 and love it. The fast that the first two are 1:1 macro really interests me, however overall image quality and colour comes first.
Since price, image, and color comes first, you can't go wrong with the Tammy 90. Do a Google. Many believe it to be as good or better than any out there.

08-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think you have made this comment previously. I would be curious to know exactly what you find lacking in the lens, or is it simply that there is no identifyable trait that makes it "unique".
Well, normally I do not post negative comments on photos. I try to be nice and reserve positive comments for those shots that jump out at me. Plus constructive ciriticism when I find I can offer any.

But now that you have called me on it, I will state that the image you post has no impact for me at all. If it is wide open I think it is good for sharpness, but if it is stopped down much, as I suspect it might be, then it is simply unimpressive. By which I mean that much much cheaper lenses could do as well.

You ask "what would the other lenses do differently?" Roger's cat photo has contrast, definition and sharpness plus a perfect sense of "rightness" that your shot lacks. I have seen these positive attributes of the DA70 time and again. The only reason I do not recommend it, is that for very little more on the used market you can get the significant speed increase the FA77 offers.

Perhaps your shot is not an optimal example. But it is the one you put forward and the only one I can critique. Perhaps too, the rather "muzzy" look suits the subject in this case. In the meantime I am still waiting for a crisp incisive image from this lens that shows it is worth the money.
08-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, maybe it's not the sharpness that is lacking so much, but that magical dust called "micro-contrast". I am never sure if what I mean by that term agrees with the accepted definition. But it's like there is a haze over the whole image, even the bits with sharpness.
08-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I wouldn't buy anything....I'd reach in my bag and pull out the SMC Takumar 55/1.8 that's already in there and cost me a whopping ten bucks.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Although I bought my Tamron 90mm Macro a while ago for macro work ... the thing is I keep using it more for portraiture than anything else ... and it's my go-to lens if i want to get THAT shot.

Here's a couple from the other day I took of my little man ... these are just a straight conversion to jpeg from raw.

08-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
how many do you see faking shallow dof with plugins? there's no denying the wider the better for portraits. f1.2 / f1.4 lenses are ideal for the job.
Not really. If you can get close enough it really doesn't matter. The 70-135mm range is real great for portraits.
08-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
how many do you see faking shallow dof with plugins? there's no denying the wider the better for portraits. f1.2 / f1.4 lenses are ideal for the job.

If that is really the case, then the Leica 50mm f/1.0 noctilux should be the portrait photographers weapon of choice. I own a noctliux and believe me; There are sharper 50mm lenses out there. And the bokeh is treacherous at such a fast apertures it's very easy to get extremely ugly as well as beautiful bokeh with the former being more common than the latter. There are limits as to how fast a lens should be for portraits. I say the Ideal is f/2 for DOF reasons and for optimal resolution.

get the DA70mm and enjoy it ...I know a lot of people who own it and enjoy it too.

(I have also been testing the 50mm f/0.95 version of the noctilux against the f/1.0 version and the only difference between the two is an aspherical lens element and 5 thousand dollars)

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-29-2009 at 06:05 AM.
08-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Don't have the Tak, but my k55/1.8 does pretty well as a poor man's DA*55/1.4

@1.8 ISO400
08-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #44

Tammy 90 is my favorite portrait glass. Razor sharp - sometimes too much. I use it stopped down between f3.5-5.6. The DOF at f3.5 is so-so with this focal length. The first image is taken at f4 and one eye is out of focus already. Otherwise creamy bokeh with superb contrast and micro-contrast and very well controlled CAs. I have only one complain - it is too big. IŽd like this lens in DA70 size :-)

But one image is better than 1000 words, so here are two samples. After clicking you get full 6MPx image to check the sharpness.

Last edited by BRunner; 08-30-2009 at 06:44 AM.
08-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Although I bought my Tamron 90mm Macro a while ago for macro work ... the thing is I keep using it more for portraiture than anything else
I want that lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
Don't have the Tak, but my k55/1.8 does pretty well as a poor man's DA*55/1.4
I want that lens too. Amazing shot, BTW.

Threads like this are great for LBA!