Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Forum Member
RT1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kansas City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 85
50mm 1.2...to sell or not to sell? That is the question.

I’m looking for a little advice here, or at least some additional perspective from fellow Pentax fans.

I have a situation, in which I am sure that I am not alone, where I have a number of lenses that I don’t actually use very often…and I have my eye on a lens that I don’t really need, but sure would be really nice.

When I bought my K200D, I purchased a DA 18-250 to go with it in lieu of the standard kit lens. This lens has treated me well, but I am finding that it’s too dang slow on the long end of things. Now I also have in my possession a Pentax-A 50mm f1.2. This is an incredible lens, and a true collector’s item…but I only seem to have it on my camera about once every other month or so. I also have a decent collection of Tak’s (see signature) that only get used on rare occasions.
By now you are probably wondering…okay, what does get used? Well, my FA 50 1.4, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 10-20 and Sigma 24-60 Ex f2.8 take up 90% of the time on my camera, and the DA 18-250 gets the other 10%. However, when I am on vacations/holiday, for convenience sake, the 18-250 is on the camera about 60% of the time.

So I have my eyes on the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 II EX DG APO Macro w/HSM and am conflicted on which lenses I should sell to fund it. I have to sell some to pay for it, or my wife will likely take my SMC 300mm f4 and beat me over the head with it.

Right now I am leaning toward selling the 50mm 1.2, which will fund 2/3 of the 70-200’s cost, and Tak’s to cover the rest, because these are the lenses that get used the least. However, the 50 1.2 is so hard to find (none even listed on eBay right now), that I am thinking I should sell the 18-250 and all the Taks instead.

Thoughts?

08-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 389
QuoteOriginally posted by RT1 Quote
Thoughts?
The 50mm A 1.2 is pretty rare. Here's what Bojidar Dmitrov has to say about it.

I think you'd regret selling it. I can't imagine anyone using it a lot, but it must be incredibly collectible.
08-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
I'd sell the 18-250 instead of the 50. Thing is, the A 50 1.2 is pretty close to being a collector's item right now (if it isn't already) and can only appreciate in price. I've a feeling that the 18-250 isn't nearly as valuable, nor is it ever likely to become a collectors item.

NaCl(besides the A 50 1.2 is a bragging rights lens)H2O
08-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Shashinki's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 357
Are you sure the A 50mm 1.2 is rare... I bought mine new from Japan 1 year ago.

08-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,530
From what I remember you can still buy the A50 1:1.2 new from Japan as a special order. That of course would make it pretty pricey.
08-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
I would sell the 18-250

Personally I never saw the need, and since you have a basic all but wildlife pair of zooms in the 10-20 and 24-60 the 18-250 is kind of useless.

I have the 10-20, and tamron 28-85 which I have taken several times as an ultra light travel kit, occasionally throwing in either my 85mmF1.4 and 1.7x TC or my 135 F2.5 and use only a small shoulder bag to hold the 2 spare lenses. the results are much better than what you would get with an 18-250 and if you really need that length, you would have the 70-200 or your 300F4 as better alternatives
08-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Shashinki's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 357
If US$400 is pricey for a 1.2 lens, then yep.
08-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
RT1
Forum Member
RT1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kansas City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 85
Original Poster
As far as the rarity question goes, if you do a Google search for Pentax 50mm f/1.2 SMCP-A, you get 2 hits for where you can buy it online. If you drop the “A”, then the availability increases considerably. I think the fact that they don’t make this lens anymore, and the fact that those that own one don’t often sell them, are the primary culprits for its scarcity.


I guess that I may be able to justify the lack of use the 50mm gets since if I were to sell it to get the new lens, then the 18-250 probably wouldn’t get any use either. So I guess if I am going to keep a piece of glass that I don’t use, it might as well be the 50.

Now I need to take a closer look at what I can get for the Taks to see if selling them, along with the 18-250, really gets me to where I need to be. The 120 f2.8 and the 135 2.5 are great performers, and not always readily available.

08-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Shashinki's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 357
http://www.pentax.jp/japan/imaging/catalog/pdf/35_lenses.pdf

Page 11, top right corner, 76 000 Yen (US$800).

I guess prices went up since last time I was in Japan then, and I guess you have to order one from a japanese store if you want one...

Those pesky bankers. tsk tsk.
08-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Are you sure the A 50mm 1.2 is rare... I bought mine new from Japan 1 year ago.
rare means that it is not being sold in stock/large volume and can only be acquired to either special order or in the used market. that by saying, it is even rarely sold in the used market. on most occasions, you could only find 1 to 3 of "A" type lens being sold in a month and the number of potential buyers and demand for it would surely and simply exceed the existing supply. I'm sure that you could get and replace an 18-250mm more easily than finding an A 50 1.2.

Peter Zack for instance felt bad letting go of his copy and surely would miss it. and I'm sure that once he got the chance, he will purchase one again.
08-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
who cares if the lens is hard to find, unless you're trying to profit from the rarity. if you're not using it and you need another lens then sell it.

and i am credible because i used to have an A50 1.2 before, it's a nice lens to have, but it doesn't really offer much more than the 50 1.4's from what i've seen and doesn't have any special rendering properties that make it unique nor is it sharp as razor blades.
08-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
who cares if the lens is hard to find, unless you're trying to profit from the rarity. if you're not using it and you need another lens then sell it.

and i am credible because i used to have an A50 1.2 before, it's a nice lens to have, but it doesn't really offer much more than the 50 1.4's from what i've seen and doesn't have any special rendering properties that make it unique nor is it sharp as razor blades.
I would agree on the first paragraph that "if you don't use it, then sell it" part.

but I do somehow disagree on the 2nd paragraph regarding the A50 1.2 as not that different or doesn't have that much to offer compared to the 50 1.4 in terms of special rendering properties or razor sharpness. the additional blades would reproduce a unique bokeh, surreal images and much cooler color rendition. stop down further, it would surely be sharp although I do admit that the 50 1.4 already has a good resolution and a very good bokeh, it is just not that similar in reproducing the same results as that of the A 50 1.2.

anyway, if you are looking for razor sharpness at the 50mm range, I'd suggest you get the Super TAK 1.4 or Pentax 1.7. for bokeh rendering at 50mm, you know what to get.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 08-28-2009 at 05:49 PM.
08-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Miserere's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,994
The SMC-A 50mm f/1.2 is one of those lenses that most people probably don't use much...but when you need it, there's just no other substitute. I haven't used mine in quite a while, but tonight I'm going out with some friends to a pub and I'm taking it with me. It's a dark pub and I know that only the f/1.2 can get the job done. That's why I keep it. Maybe if I had a Pentax camera with superb ISO6400 IQ I would sell the f/1.2, but as things are I need to keep the lens for these special occasions.

If you don't have "special occasions", then I would suggest letting it go.

.
08-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by RT1 Quote
I’m looking for a little advice here, or at least some additional perspective from fellow Pentax fans.

I have a situation, in which I am sure that I am not alone, where I have a number of lenses that I don’t actually use very often…and I have my eye on a lens that I don’t really need, but sure would be really nice.

When I bought my K200D, I purchased a DA 18-250 to go with it in lieu of the standard kit lens. This lens has treated me well, but I am finding that it’s too dang slow on the long end of things. Now I also have in my possession a Pentax-A 50mm f1.2. This is an incredible lens, and a true collector’s item…but I only seem to have it on my camera about once every other month or so. I also have a decent collection of Tak’s (see signature) that only get used on rare occasions.
By now you are probably wondering…okay, what does get used? Well, my FA 50 1.4, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 10-20 and Sigma 24-60 Ex f2.8 take up 90% of the time on my camera, and the DA 18-250 gets the other 10%. However, when I am on vacations/holiday, for convenience sake, the 18-250 is on the camera about 60% of the time.

So I have my eyes on the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 II EX DG APO Macro w/HSM and am conflicted on which lenses I should sell to fund it. I have to sell some to pay for it, or my wife will likely take my SMC 300mm f4 and beat me over the head with it.

Right now I am leaning toward selling the 50mm 1.2, which will fund 2/3 of the 70-200’s cost, and Tak’s to cover the rest, because these are the lenses that get used the least. However, the 50 1.2 is so hard to find (none even listed on eBay right now), that I am thinking I should sell the 18-250 and all the Taks instead.

Thoughts?
I say keep the 50 f1.2 for another 20 years, then sell it and buy a house with the money you get from it.
08-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,701
Wild horses wouldn't separate me from mine.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, camera, da, f2.8, fund, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Film camera bodies - CLA then sell, or sell as is? SOldBear Pentax Film SLR Discussion 15 10-27-2009 04:18 PM
Sell or not sell, that is the question Taff Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 10-06-2009 06:19 AM
question for people who sell on E-bay... _who_ General Talk 13 08-13-2009 06:04 PM
To sell, or not to sell... that is the question. rpriedhorsky Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 06-02-2009 10:23 PM
Should I sell my smc 50mm fa 1.4 68wSteve Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 03-01-2009 11:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top