Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC Pentax-M f1.4 50mm loose front ring?

Hi Guys!

This is my first post and I have been snooping around for a awhile. I fell in love with Pentax Camera's when I got my first one... an Optio W10. I know, not their best but it was a workhorse for me until it was stolen. I was going to buy a K20D but ended up with it's cousin the Gx 20. I recently bought the SMC 50mm off of ebay and love the lens. Recently the front has began to rattle. The thing is the the lens is not moving but just the ring that has the name and description written on it. I know that it probably won't affect the image quality but loose things just bother me. What can I do? How can i tighten this ring? Thank you in advance for any help.

ThePerception2008

08-27-2009, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a comon problem, and a piece of cake.
That ring with all the numbers on threads on like a filter. To remove it you can often just use a eraser, or a bathroom plug to grip it, and unthread it.
I wouldn't recomend it, but I had a miserable one, on a lens given to me, so I notched it with a dremal, then used a screwdriver to remove it (that one was a real bugger of a lens)

once removed you'll see either 3 or 6 screws. Only 3 of them hold the ring on, and you'll see that they're loose.
just tighten them back up, and put the numbered ring back on. Your done
08-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used an elastic band (wide types you get from broccoli at the grocery store) and wrap it around the inner ring of the Pentax clear body cap. Can be a bit fiddly but once the elastic stays in place (even for a sec), put it over the lens, and firmly twist anticlockwise. A few tries and the ring should come free.
08-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the help guys! It's now back to its great working condition!!!

05-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #5

Brilliant! The K55 f1.8 I just bought on fleabay is as good as...well, its front ring is tight now. Thanks for the help. A bathtub plug did the trick with grabbing the ring to unscrew it. A tiny flathead screwdriver was needed for the three screws that secure the front ring.
04-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
It's a comon problem, and a piece of cake.
That ring with all the numbers on threads on like a filter. To remove it you can often just use a eraser, or a bathroom plug to grip it, and unthread it.
I wouldn't recomend it, but I had a miserable one, on a lens given to me, so I notched it with a dremal, then used a screwdriver to remove it (that one was a real bugger of a lens)

once removed you'll see either 3 or 6 screws. Only 3 of them hold the ring on, and you'll see that they're loose.
just tighten them back up, and put the numbered ring back on. Your done
I just fixed a 50mm F/1.4 with the same problem using these instructions. Thanks!
05-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

On a similar note: I got a SuperTak 50/1.4 cheap. Turns out the front ring was only attached to the lens body at one point. I didn't feel up to disassembling and reassembling, so I cheated. I put a dab of contact cement on the inner loose side of the front ring. Now it's right as rain.