Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

DA 10-17mm Fisheye lens cap questio

I recently bought a 10-17mm fisheye lens that did not come with the lens cap. So I bought an original Pentax cap in replacement but found out that it wouldn't fit properly on the lens. It was the correct cap but just slightly too big to actually stay on the lens. I said to myself it had to be a manufacturing error and bought another one, as requesting a refund or replacement wouldn't have worked easily for a number of reasons and the first cap was quite cheap anyway.

Now I just received my second copy of the lens cap, this time from a different seller, and again it won't fit on the lens! It is definitely the correct lens cap but just a millimeter too wide for it not to fall of the lens. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? When I received the first copy I thought that it was missing the felt lining on the inside and that that was why it was too big but this second copy doesn't have an inner felt lining either! Can't possibly be the same manufacturing error in two copies in a row, can it? Mind you I had never seen the lens cap for this lens before buying those two replacement copies so no idea whether it's supposed to have a felt lining or not.

08-28-2009, 03:11 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Where did you buy your lens cap? The replacement cap should not come cheap. Some $40 at least. It is laid with felt at the inner side rims.
08-28-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
First one at Jessops and second one from a German seller. The first copy was actually very cheap. No idea, why. Came in the original packaging etc. though.
08-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cap on mine is a metal cap that is fairly deep and slides over the lens hood. It has a thin felt strip glued to the inside of the cap where it slides on to the lens hood. Is the felt strip there? If not then it should be possible to either order a replacement strip or make one and glue it into place. I don't think the genuine Pentax cap would be sold without the felt strip but sometimes parts dept's do strange things

08-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can you post pics of the caps u bought?
08-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
I recently bought... an original Pentax cap in replacement but found out that it wouldn't fit properly on the lens.
It is definitely the correct lens cap but just a millimeter too wide for it not to fall of the lens. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
Perhaps the original equipment cap was meant to slip on a built-in lens hood, not on a filter or the lens itself. That's like the slip-on cap for the DA 35 Ltd., and it certainly does not fit very securely. It's much more secure and convenient, to use a snap-in pinch-style lens cap that grips the inside of filter threads -- unless you're using a 'thin' filter without front threads to avoid vignetting on your wide-angle.

Robin Kanta Photographic sells both the pinch-style and the slip-style caps. Also, screw-in types. Note that if you are ordering a slip-style cap, you need to measure the actual outside diameter of the lens/filter, NOT the nominal diameter of the filter threads!

Incidentally, if anyone wants a genuine Pentax slip-on style lens cap for the 35 Ltd, I have one I'd be happy to send to anyone for free. Its inside diameter is 55mm. Just send me a PM.

Last edited by infosyn; 08-28-2009 at 12:15 PM.
08-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The lens hood is built onto the lens and any effective lens cap must fit over it. There are threads inside the short petal hood but the fisheye lens bulges out quite a bit so a screw in cover would not be a good option. Neither would a filter although it is possible you could find one to thread in partially. A pinch cap can't work either for the same reason. The design of the lens is such that a slip over the hood cap is the only workable solution. Anything else would be a pain to deal with and end up not being used.

08-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The cap on mine is a metal cap that is fairly deep and slides over the lens hood. It has a thin felt strip glued to the inside of the cap where it slides on to the lens hood.
That's what I thought. That felt strip is missing on both of my caps and I highly doubt they're supposed to be that way for, as I said, the cap won't stay on the lens and the bare aluminium will probably scratch the hood as it is. I think I will send one of them back to Germany and request a replacement and try to find a felt strip thin enough for the other cap until I get a working one, haha.

QuoteOriginally posted by infosyn Quote
Perhaps the original equipment cap was meant to slip on a built-in lens hood, not on a filter or the lens itself. That's like the slip-on cap for the DA 35 Ltd., and it certainly does not fit very securely. It's much more secure and convenient, to use a snap-in pinch-style lens cap that grips the inside of filter threads -- unless you're using a 'thin' filter without front threads to avoid vignetting on your wide-angle.
The DA 10-17mm has a built-in hood. A slip-on cap for that is the only way to go. As I said, the cap(s) I got are original and designed for this concrete lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Can you post pics of the caps u bought?
Yes, but why? The caps don't look any different from the cap the DA 10-17mm is sold with, aside from the missing felt lining.
08-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This may sound unbelievable, but a friend from Australia once ordered a silver FA31 cap for me some years ago. The cap was indeed silver, unfinished bare metal. The most amazing thing was that it was packed in the retail box. How could this happen?

But in your case, if only the green velvet strap is missing, you can actually order it from Pentax and tape it on yourself. It is straight forward. But unlike Limited caps, the fisheye cap doesn't have the round velvet cushion, just the strap.
08-29-2009, 02:52 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
But in your case, if only the green velvet strap is missing, you can actually order it from Pentax and tape it on yourself. It is straight forward. But unlike Limited caps, the fisheye cap doesn't have the round velvet cushion, just the strap.
If you can show me where exactly to order the velvet strap I will be more than glad to do so!
08-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You will have to contact the parts department of the Pentax distributor in your area. Since it is not regular stocked parts, it will probably take 1-3 months from Japan.
08-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You can probably get thin self-adhesive black felt from most any craft store. Cut a strip to size and carefully place it around the inside rim of the cap. Still sounds like you got a knockoff, but this should get you by until you get a authentic and complete cap.

Mike
08-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The lens hood is built onto the lens and any effective lens cap must fit over it. There are threads inside the short petal hood but the fisheye lens bulges out quite a bit so a screw in cover would not be a good option.
Those are actually anti-reflection baffles on the inside of the hood - not threads. They do look like threads tho....
08-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
You can probably get thin self-adhesive black felt from most any craft store. Cut a strip to size and carefully place it around the inside rim of the cap. Still sounds like you got a knockoff, but this should get you by until you get a authentic and complete cap.

Mike
Yeah, that was the plan. Here's hoping I can find self-adhesive felt that is thin enough!