Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 04:40 AM   #1

Suitability of old lens in K20D

Hello all, i'm new to the forum and need some wise advice. I have never been very adventurous with my photography but decided ones never too old to learn. I purchased a K20D body hoping to use my older lenses. I fitted a Pentax 35-80mm F 1.4-5.6 and the question is, will that do for a start or should I go for something else. My main interest is in Land/sea & sky scapes. Many thanks
Frankie500

08-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
first of all, read your manual and specifically look in the index under "use aperture ring"

it will tell you how to make the camera function with older manual aperture lenses (those with no A position)

now, you mention landscape.

the format of the sensor in the K20 is smaller than your old film camera, specifically the fiolm camera frame is 36mm wide and 24 mm high, the camera is 24mm wide and 16 mm high. as a result, the field of view from the 35-80 zoom you mention will be similar to a 50mm-120mm zoom on film, because the image in digital is cropped out of the middle.

As a result, you may find the 35mm is not wide enough for your liking,

What other lenses do you have?
08-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
I did the Menu bit permitting "use aperture ring" in Custom Setting and i have been able to take a few photos. The info about the image sizing is interesting and I will see how it looks now that I know what to look for. I have a Tamron 1:2.8 f=135mm and a Sigma Mini-wide1:2.8 f=28mm.
08-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frankie500 Quote
I did the Menu bit permitting "use aperture ring" in Custom Setting and i have been able to take a few photos. The info about the image sizing is interesting and I will see how it looks now that I know what to look for. I have a Tamron 1:2.8 f=135mm and a Sigma Mini-wide1:2.8 f=28mm.
the 28 may be OK but to get the same Field of view as you had with film using the 35-80, you wuld need a 24mm at the wide end

08-28-2009, 07:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
All very useful info many thanks
08-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Frankie500 Quote
All very useful info many thanks
Frankie, make sure you pick yourself up a Pentax SMC M 50mm f1.4 you will love it!!!!
08-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard. To answer your first question, yes if you have the old F series 35-80 use it , you will have all the functions including auto focus. That particular lens is not very well thought of and sells for next to nothing used but is really not as bad as the reviews say. I have one and use it in adverse conditions like a windy day at the beach where I wouldn't take most of my lenses out of the case. If you read the reviews here, they say this lens is junk but I have a picture in Pentax Photo Gallery and one in a brick and mortar gallery taken with a F 35-80.
Now with regard to the sensor size / crop If you multiply the focal length of the lens you are using by 1.5 , you can estimate your angle of view. For example a 50mm lens when used on your K20D will give you a simillar field of view to a 75mm on a film SLR.
Your 35-80 will give you roughly the same field of view as a 50-120 would on a film 35mm SLR. In other words if a normal to short telephoto zoom is a focal length that works for your style of photography use the lens for a while!
Read the posts and reviews and do your homework before you run out and spend tons of money on new glass.
If your tastes lean toward the wide side and you really want to buy new , take a look at the Pentax DA 16-45 . You will find very few negative comments about this lens and it is good value for the money.

Last edited by seacapt; 08-28-2009 at 08:45 PM.
08-29-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
first of all, read your manual and specifically look in the index under "use aperture ring"

it will tell you how to make the camera function with older manual aperture lenses (those with no A position)

now, you mention landscape.

the format of the sensor in the K20 is smaller than your old film camera, specifically the fiolm camera frame is 36mm wide and 24 mm high, the camera is 24mm wide and 16 mm high. as a result, the field of view from the 35-80 zoom you mention will be similar to a 50mm-120mm zoom on film, because the image in digital is cropped out of the middle.

As a result, you may find the 35mm is not wide enough for your liking,

What other lenses do you have?
35-80mm might not be wide enough,but if you want to use this lens for a wide shot,you have the option of taking multiple shots and stitching them together to form a panaramic,using photo editing software.

08-29-2009, 05:09 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

You can certainly take landscape photos at 35mm, but I like something a little wider on digital. Probably the cheapest option would be the kit lens, which starts at 18 mm. A little more expensive, but better, would be the DA 16-45.