Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #1

Does Tamron 17-50 underexposure problem still exist?

Hello all,

Lens lust is running again, and this time it's the Tamron 17-50. I was interested in this lens when it was newly released, and I recall reports of the more underexposure the more you stop down. Since I will be buying from an online retailer, I would like to know if this problem still exists?

Also, how many of you have gotten a perfect focus one on your first try? How many of you had to exchange/send to Tamron? Thanks.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: If this has been asked before I am sorry for wasting bandwidth, but the search function kinda sucks here; I can't search for "17-50"... Please point me to the right thread if a similar thread exists.

08-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

in the search box, type "Tamron 17-50mm" and see how many results you get....many.

I have the 17-50 Tamron and am quite pleased with it. I haven't noticed anything with what I would see as obvious underexposure on my copy. I do sometimes however set my exposure one click to the right (+0.5) because I try to expose to the right as much as possible. Anyway, I wish I could answer in more detail, just letting you know about my experience.

Jason
08-30-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Damn Brit

I think it depends on... how dark it is.

Seriously though, an issue like that is only a problem when you don't have or use the solution.
The solution is to work out what adjustments you need to compensate and then dial those in whenever you use the lens.
08-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven`t noticed exposure issues more so AF problems. I noticed mine would not AF continuously while depressing the shutter button. I then went to Google and searched for `Tamron 17-50 AF issues`and sure enough it`s a common problem, definitely not something you want to be happening if you rely on this lens for work. The last wedding I did I had to MF the whole day and at times it was a pain.

I`m tempted to contact the company regarding this although I don`t qualify for warranty repair as I bought mine used off a forum member here. I tested the kit lens to be sure it wasn`t the camera and it locked on every time no matter what I was pointing at. I`ve also noticed if using the menus or previewing images with the Tamron mounted the screen may shut off, especially if I shake the camera. This doesn`t happen with any of the other lenses.

Anyway, something to consider or check for if you do buy. Besides that it`s a great lens but I wish I had a DA* 16-50 instead for the fact it`s weather sealed, I have a piece of dust on the inner element of my Tammy now but I`m famous for not putting the end caps on.

08-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
I haven`t noticed exposure issues more so AF problems. I noticed mine would not AF continuously while depressing the shutter button. I then went to Google and searched for `Tamron 17-50 AF issues`and sure enough it`s a common problem, definitely not something you want to be happening if you rely on this lens for work. The last wedding I did I had to MF the whole day and at times it was a pain.
Despite I haven't a Tamron, I think is more probably a problem of the AF of the camera rather the lens.
(Problem that seem resolved on the k7d).
I have a k10d and if i must shoot in low light (without flash) the AF is totally inusable so I always use MF in these type of situations.
08-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be and I want to test it on another body to be sure but all my other lenses AF fine except for the Tammy and with others having the exact same symptoms as me it leads me to believe it's not a camera issue.
08-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Forum Member

I have the Tamron 17-50mm and no AF issues. On the K20D I had +0.3 or +0.5 EV dialled in all the time, although with the new K7 I haven't had to do that yet.

08-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
@Jasvox: Thanks! Now I know the search wasn't broken...
Original thread about the progressive underexposure is here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/219253-post13.html

Thanks for all otheres too! I guess this problem has been fixed long ago. I have less worries and more excuses to empty my wallet now...
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I have this lens and ever since I have the katzeye matte screen, the metering tends to overexpose quite a lot but since I mostly use manual primes, I don't care that much.
08-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was delighted with my first copy of the Tammy when I got it, and love it even more now--18 months later. AF is better than expected.

To be honest, exposure problems with the Tammy are no more or less than with any other lens on the K20. And, as Gary makes clear, the solution is so simple that there really is no problem.
02-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for reviving an old thread. My Tamron 17-50 was severely front-focusing at 50mm and slightly back-focusing at 17mm. Sent the lens for repair, now it's front focusing on both ends (need to confirm with better tests) AND I have to adjust exposure by +1 1/3 stops all the time (in tunsten light).

Posting here so that those who search for this issue have all the info in 1 place