Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I agree there, same has happened to me and I am glad I kept my GX20 as a second camera as I love the FA31.

My 2 x DA*'s have gone from stellar to amazing especailly low light and medium to high ISO, shot both mounted flash and non flash indoors the other day large room with statues and apart from some shadows on walls you could not tell the difference... very impressed.

I am now thinking of getting the DA 35 over the FA43 for this very reason alone.

Neil
My FA 43 is also stellar on the K-7 though. Seems to be a focus adjustment thing with the 31--I wish it went to +/- 20. I sold my 50-135 after moving to the K-7 and the 16-50 so far is terrible, and they were both amazing on the K20. I think I need to try another K-7, but how can my 77 be so good?

Sorry for the thread-jacking!

09-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I agree there, same has happened to me and I am glad I kept my GX20 as a second camera as I love the FA31.

My 2 x DA*'s have gone from stellar to amazing especailly low light and medium to high ISO, shot both mounted flash and non flash indoors the other day large room with statues and apart from some shadows on walls you could not tell the difference... very impressed.

I am now thinking of getting the DA 35 over the FA43 for this very reason alone.

Neil
The DA 35 is, quite simply, an amazing lens. I have been mucking around with a loaner and the versatility of this focal length, its colour accuracy, and its sharpness through the range are outstanding. It's the best lens for APS-C in the Pentax line-up, and one of the best made for APS-C, period.

I highly recommend.
09-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 77mm is, as Hin Man put it, "insanely good." Still, I'd go for the two lens option.
09-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The DA 35 is, quite simply, an amazing lens. I have been mucking around with a loaner and the versatility of this focal length, its colour accuracy, and its sharpness through the range are outstanding. It's the best lens for APS-C in the Pentax line-up, and one of the best made for APS-C, period.

I highly recommend.

Thanks mate.. appreciate your input

Neil

09-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I would say this: If your heart desires the 77 mm, and you get the 70 mm, you will always wonder - what if...
funny thing is that I own the FA77 and I always wondered what the DA 70 is like...

i'm going to take an advill and lie down, to ease my LBA
09-03-2009, 05:17 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I have handled the FA77 and have the A*85 in my bag, and I would choose the 85 over the 77 any day. Until you have used a portrait lens at 1.4 you may not realise that the difference between f1.4 and f1.8 is not always negligible. But I do have a soft spot for all A serie lenses (with exception of some truly budget versions) since that's the age when I came into Pentax.

But we could debate the difference between the 77 and the 85 for ever. You may understand me better if I say that they are close enough for me to think that I don't need the 77, while the 70 is that much smaller that it fills a different function. Much like why I don't have the DA40...because I have the M40.

Back to the OP's question. Even without the A*85 (or FA*85) in the game, if budget limits and prices makes it possible for him to get both the DA35+DA70, or only the FA77, I would say: go for the DA's. They are both fine lenses, and will together offer a larger versatility than just one lens. Currently I'm carrying the DA15+DA35+DA70 as my standard pocketable trio most of the time.
What that makes me wonder is how one of the new 85mm 1.4 from Vivitar et. al. do compare to the FA 77. I'm kind of in the same board that 1.4 is really VERY usefull for portaits. So 1.8 for the FA 77 is kind of a step back. In fact given that the DA 70 is only 2.4 (and some say really closer to 2.8), then one might actually suggest to go for a DA 50-135 to begin with.
09-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #37
Inactive Account

What's that saying? Two in the hand is worth one in the bush?

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
The 77mm is, as Hin Man put it, "insanely good." Still, I'd go for the two lens option.