Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
oh, what the heck..

nearly had one of those 'oh, what the heck' moments just now while viewing the DA* 50-135 on adorama.com. I wish I could actually pull the trigger. I've wanted this one for quite some time now. But when it arrives and the wife asks me how much I paid......... well......

09-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're gonna have to come up with a better excuse than that...

Or you have an equally exciting gift awating her somewhere...
09-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
you think if i brought home a nice necklace and then broke the news that i spent $750 on a new lens it would work? hmmm...might be worth a try!
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Buy here a $249 necklace, and if she starts asking about price, just tell her that the lens and necklace together were under $1000. She doesn't have have to know which contributed more to that bottom line...

09-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Buy here a $249 necklace, and if she starts asking about price, just tell her that the lens and necklace together were under $1000. She doesn't have have to know which contributed more to that bottom line...
Sounds like a great plan, here!
09-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Have you tried this?
09-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Dan, I'm well aware of the "WIFE" situation. I took slight detour, though I have to admit it wasnt intentional. But I bought Sigma 100-300/4 which had some AF issues with my bodies, so I swapped it for Tamron70-200 which broke down so I swapped it for 50-135.
And you know what? that lens is well worth the money, despite loving my primes and having to sell K400 to raise some funds, that DA* is WELL WORTH it...
sooner or later you'll get it, anyway, so why wait? And if your wife starts asking questions, just take some nice shots of her with the new lens and show them to her. Other members here confirmed it helps...

BR

09-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
And if your wife starts asking questions, just take some nice shots of her with the new lens and show them to her. Other members here confirmed it helps...

BR
This is good advice with the 50-135.
I wouldn't do that with a wide angle though! Definitely not helping anything!
09-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've got an account that is typically used to stow money away for gifts for my wife. She's no business knowing the cost of her gifts. The account has her name and everything, but she typically doesn't use it (except for making international bank transfers). However, it also makes it quite convenient to hide the cost of my lenses - she's quite happy not being aware of the cost so it works out well.

And I just purchased the DA 15mm! I think I'll heed farfisa's advice and not take portraits of her with that one. But, it'll work out great for our upcoming camping trip.
09-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Lucky me. She never ask the price of my "toys".
09-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
She will do some research...
09-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Dan, I'm well aware of the "WIFE" situation. I took slight detour, though I have to admit it wasnt intentional. But I bought Sigma 100-300/4 which had some AF issues with my bodies, so I swapped it for Tamron70-200 which broke down so I swapped it for 50-135.
And you know what? that lens is well worth the money, despite loving my primes and having to sell K400 to raise some funds, that DA* is WELL WORTH it...
sooner or later you'll get it, anyway, so why wait? And if your wife starts asking questions, just take some nice shots of her with the new lens and show them to her. Other members here confirmed it helps...

BR
Yeah, I understand how darn good it is. I've been drooling over it for two years it seems now. I just can't get past the pricetag...it's not just her. But now that I'm starting to get paid to work...maybe soon, maybe very soon.
09-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Give her a baby (I recommend doing it the old fashioned way so don't steal one) and convince her that only this lens will produce photos like the pros so you will save money by not having to get professional studio shots. By the way, the 50-135 is a great lens!
09-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You won't care....

I don't usually respond to these, I like to avoid domestic disturbances, but as a very satisfied owner of the DA*50-135, I have to say that you probably won't care what she has to say after your first use of this majestic lens. It is superb beyond description and as dependable as any lens I have heard of for obtaining superb IQ. A joy to use and a true performer of the first class. One of those lenses where you mount it and all of a sudden get a feeling of security that you are about to get the images you desire...without excuses.
Regards
Rupert
09-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

Forget the baby. You'll never get another lens going that route. Formula is expensive. Get the lens anyway. What's the worst that can happen?