Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Today's Thrift Store Find

Wandered around today into a new thrift store that I'd never visited. Got a bunch of old stuff, the guy says and pulls out two big bins of cameras/accessories from the back, and basically asks me to make an offer on anything I'm interested in.

I see an old Agfa scale RF in excellent shape, a Oly Trip 35 in very good shape, a whole bunch of Polaroids and crap-tastic P&S. Then I check out the other bin, pulling the Trip 35 and Agfa aside just in case nothing else shows up.

Sure enough, a decent amount of PK accessories (might bring those home sometime and spread the love out here, since I don't have anything but M42 and EOS mount and am unlikely to get into that system), and then a good amount of random hoods and a few lenses.

I ended up bringing home an Auto Takumar 55mm f/2.2 with original front cap, 49mm Pentax metal hood (mint, baby!) for the Takumar 1:3.5 135mm 1:4 150mm 1:5.6 200mm, an odd little zippered pouch/bag that just says "Asahi Pentax" on one side and "Asahi Opt. Co., Japan" on the other (leatherette matches the covering on my girlfriend's Spotmatic SP case) that the 55mm Auto Tak barely squeezes into with no rear cover, a set of Accura-branded M42 anodized silver extension tubes, and 2 black extension tubes with some odd font on them that says "NO II" and "NO III", for the shorter and longer ones, respectively.

$20 out the door seemed to be a decent deal, so I'm in the process of assessing under better light now. Will have picts soon. The Auto Tak seems not to have the aperture linkage connected (the parts are there on the back side of the lens, but I can see where the outside lever is not connected to the necessary piece. The fact that I can see it probably means I'm missing something (dust seal or cover) but I haven't seen the back end of an older Auto Tak like this.

09-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #2

Great find. Never seems to happen here. And when it does... Was at a market in the weekend. In a cabinet in an obscure corner was quite a lot of photo gear and I could spot a Pentax logo through the murky glass. Found the man managing the stall and ... he didn't have the key for the cabinet. Wtf?!
09-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anybody have a shot of the back-end of one of the Auto Tak 55mm f/2.0 or f/2.2 that I could take a look at?

I've never had a Tak apart, much less one of these with the aperture ring up at the front of the lens, but it looks like I'll have to disassemble the back to get the thing working and stopping down. Can't wait to see the bokeh off the 10 blades!
09-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, so I went to take the little guy apart, and I got the two retaining screws off the mount (anodized mount with the M42 threads on it), and pulled the rear element/group out, and found out that to get any further, I'd have to go through the front.

Front fascia comes off, followed by the front group, and the middle element. No glass in the lens at this point. I can't figure out how to access the aperture linkage from this point.

Any tips? Do I need to disassemble and provide pictures? Sadly, it seems as if somebody went to clean it at some recent point in time and used a screwdriver to get the groupings/elements out. It's kind of hacked up inside, and I saw a bit of fungus on the inside of the middle grouping, so I'll need to pull that apart to clean it up.