Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2007, 04:51 AM   #1

Lens overlap/gap?

What's your opinion on overlap/gap in the focal range of zoom lenses? Some think that overlaping focal range is equal to throwing away money. To some extent I agree, I mean why have two zooms covering the same focal length? You could however argue that overlaps are good since you don't have to change lenses as much?

What do you think?

/B

05-19-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sometimes an overlap is good. You may have one lens that overlaps another, but produces better image quality or is more useful (better glass and or faster lens)
05-19-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was asking myself the same question wehn I had just Sigma 18-50/2.8 but then I got a 70-300 lens and never missed that 50-70mm. Now that I gor some more lenses I usually take 18-50, 100 and 135-400mm lenses when I go hiking in nature and 18-50 with 70-300 when I'm in a more civil enviroment.
I have overlaps and gaps and it really doesn't bother me. Like spam said it's more to lens than just focal lenght.
05-19-2007, 05:45 AM   #4

One reason to have overlap, especially if you have a mix of zooms and primes, is to be discreet when shooting. I have (among others) the 16-45mm/f4 and the 43mm Limited. The 16-45 is a fairly large zoom and quite noticeable when street shooting; the 43mm isn't! If I'm trying for street shots and don't want to stand out, then I'll use the 43mm. In fact, I'm looking at buying the 40mm and the rest of the "Pancake Stack" (which I named, by the way!) simply because it is slightly LESS noticeable yet!
And I agree with SPAM that one lens may have a better quality than another, producing a better photo opportunity.
If there is one issue, it may be deciding which series of lenses to take along in your kit! Just my 2 cents! YMMV.
Rob W

05-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I pretty much have ridiculous overlap but only because I'm now investing in better glass and haven't gotten rid of the excess. All the lenses listed below is what I normally use besides the SMC M glass because of acquiring new glass, but sitting on my desk right now are these: 18-55mm kit lens, Tamron 28-200 (waiting to be sold), Pentax 70-210 (don't like the lack of sharpness) and as you can see WAY to much overlap. But I have noticed that carrying around the primes is much better than the all-around zoom just for quality reasons and I too hope to add the pancake lens (Da 40mm) to my collection.
05-19-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't really mind gaps, per se, but the idea of focal length "gaps" is somewhat different when using primes. I find a "gap" of 10-20mm or so between focal lengths (or even more with telephotos) is not that noticeable. My normal kit is the FA 31/1.8, the FA 50/1.4, and the Tamron 90/2.5 macro, and I really only long for a wide angle prime (the kit lens filling in the meantime), and maybe the 40 or 43. With zooms, I would personally opt for a little overlap, because the whole point is the convenience of not changing lenses.
05-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

HAha I used to have the most ridiculous overlap at one point.

-Tokina SD 70-210 (soft and the "SD" label is 'fake'. Never seen so much PF before)
-Rokinon 80-200 (a bit sharper..not saying much)
-Vivitar 75-205 (Finally something decent)
-Tou/FiveStar 70-200 (one of those Takumar 70-200 reincarnations. .Really soft..maybe good for portraits though.)

Then...I traded away the Tokina, Rokinon and the Fivestar for a CPC Phase 2 70-200/4 which is the cosmicar version of the SMC A 70-210. (I dunno where the extra 10mm went). The lens is great. Very sharp and the built in lens hood is great!

but even know theres plenty of overlap. Macdaddy is right. IF you bring a large lens, you'll find it that much harder to do street shots and candids. I've seen alot of Rebelers chest shoot with their kit lenses. They walk around like they are just exploring but you seen them index finger on the shutter button and everyonce in a while they pause to shoot. I've tried that once and its pretty kool because of the unpredictability of the photo. Primes for candids. Zooms for convenience.