Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax's f/1.7 50mms are different lenses than their f/1.4 50mms. Fewer aperture blades, a little sharper wide open, different (some would say worse) bokeh. I use an F 50/1.7 and like it a lot, but it is a little long for indoors. The DA 40mm is better, although not very fast. The Sigma 30/1.4 mentioned above gets good reviews, but in truth, narrow DOF isn't great for birthday party shooting. I prefer the FA 20-35mm f/4 plus a bounce flash, probably the kit lens could do well too

09-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Interestingly, you can still find the FA 50 f1.7 out there, for a reasonable price in some places.50mm f/1.7 SMCP-FA Standard Lens
I just read up a bit about this store and they seem REALLY suspect. Buyer beware

I hate 50mm... more like I hate the FOV. Other than shooting portraits (which it does AMAZING job at), I feel a bit constrained by the FOV. I've been trying to cure this by sticking the FA 50 on my camera for a week to get used to the FOV. Optically, though I can say that it's a great lens, very contrasty and sharp with great colors and bokeh

Nothing beats the FA 50 on film though, now that's a FOV I love.
09-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I just read up a bit about this store and they seem REALLY suspect. Buyer beware

I hate 50mm... more like I hate the FOV. Other than shooting portraits (which it does AMAZING job at), I feel a bit constrained by the FOV. I've been trying to cure this by sticking the FA 50 on my camera for a week to get used to the FOV. Optically, though I can say that it's a great lens, very contrasty and sharp with great colors and bokeh

Nothing beats the FA 50 on film though, now that's a FOV I love.
Yeah, sorry about posting that link. Cambridge World looks like a no fly zone. Pretty similar to Broadway Photo. May be able to find it somewhere else, just seems like the prices have been climbing considerably on the Fa lenses.
09-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #19
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Hi Ari! Long time no see Still shooting Pentax?
Hi! Yep - still shooting Pentax - sorry to hearyou left the fold

09-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Yeah, sorry about posting that link. Cambridge World looks like a no fly zone. Pretty similar to Broadway Photo. May be able to find it somewhere else, just seems like the prices have been climbing considerably on the Fa lenses.
Cambridge and Broadway are basically the same people.

And the same business model.