Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Quite comparable actually...
See here:
Pentax Mount Lenses for Pentax Cameras

These are close to, or are, the cheapest retail prices in Australia at the moment...

Pentax Lens 50-135mm f/2.8 DA* ED IF $1,599.00
Pentax Lens 55mm f/1.4 DA* SDM $1,599.00
Pentax Macro 50mm Lens SMC P-D FA f2.8 $729.00
Pentax Lens 55-300mm f/4-5.8 DA ED $670.00
Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Lens $855.00
Pentax Lens 200mm f2.8 DA* ED (IF) SDM $2,469.00
Pentax Lens 300mm f/4 DA* ED (IF) SDM $2,476.00
I was in my "local" camera shop last week and asked about the DA 12-24, the chick behind the desk went away and said it would cost around $1300AUD, when I mentioned the above website you refer to ASH that i could get it for $1000AUD, they matched it. It is getting ridiculous though ><

09-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's just hope it doesn't turn into this, something I saw last week:

Amazon.com: Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens: Camera & Photo

$699 for a FA 50 f1.4
09-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Let's just hope it doesn't turn into this, something I saw last week:

Amazon.com: Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens: Camera & Photo

$699 for a FA 50 f1.4
I think that is just an Amazon partner seller that is taking advantage of the fact that nobody else is selling that lens on Amazon at this partuicular time. They are hoping someone will buy it at that price without researching what the price should be.
09-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #19
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Why wouldn't you purchase it from BH and have it shipped to the UK?
Customs duty and taxes on top of the bought item and shipping. Might make it just a little cheaper than buying locally, but you'd have no local warranty.

That's by my own calculations.

09-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What are the UK's customs rules?
When are you charged duty on imported items?
09-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

What are the UK's customs rules?
When are you charged duty on imported items?
I didn't look into the details, but I think that the VAT ( 17% ) has to be paid and possibly some import duty.

What I should do is get my Canuck brother to bring stuff over as a 'gift' when he visits, I think the duty into Canada and the USA prices would make this very favourable.

Ahh, Google is my friend.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?...yType=document

If you buy goods online from a country outside the European Union, for instance the USA, Canada, China, Australia

You will be charged:

* Customs duty if the amount of duty is €10 (£7) or over
* Import VAT if the value of the goods is €22 (£18) and over
* Excise duty for some goods like alcohol and tobacco

( I think that the Customs Duty is payable on goods with a value that exceeds £120, but if the amount of duty is less than £7 then they don't charge it.
But, you can be assured that if things can be made difficult the UK Gov't will do just that. see below.)

Custom Duty rates for specific products

Customs Duty is charged as a percentage of the total value of the goods - that is the sterling equivalent of the price paid abroad.

To work out the percentage, each type of product is given a 'commodity code'. This tells you what the Customs Duty rate percentage is for that particular product, based on whether it’s being imported or exported.

There are around 14,000 different classifications. The duty rate percentage for each may vary according to the country the goods come from. The average percentage is between 5 and 9 per cent, but it can be as low as 0 per cent or as high as 85 per cent.

To find out the Customs Duty rate for a product you can contact HM Revenue & Customs VAT, Customs and Excise Helpline. See the later section ‘Getting more help and advice’ below.

Last edited by Lloydy; 09-03-2009 at 03:09 PM.
09-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sending things as gifts generally does the trick but won't work with vendors.
Does the VAT apply for every imported item? Or items above a certain value?

09-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Sending things as gifts generally does the trick but won't work with vendors.
Does the VAT apply for every imported item? Or items above a certain value?
I had a quick look at the UK Customs & Excise web sites out of curiosity, and fled in horror!

If anyone can work out, just by using the internet and solely official Customs and Excise sites, how much it would cost to import a 50-135DA from B&H in the USA to England they deserve afree lens!

Just how difficult, and expensive, does this NEED to be ?
09-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
there has been a recent issue being where Canada would be starting to impose taxes on stuff bought from ebay and paid thru paypal. I just hate it when the government find ridiculous ways of collecting money from people who are trying to save or buying something at a bargain.

I just hate the government spending and wasting a huge amount of budget in useless projects and pass the burden on the people for the deficit that was caused by their lousy decision-making. damn bastards !
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Before making the purchase, make a direct enquiry with the customs authority, then see if it's worth it...
09-04-2009, 12:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I've been buying from DCW but the price rises are just getting stupid so even they are now out of reach for me. Interestingly B&H are actually cheaper than buying in oz from a "grey import" place that sources from Hong Kong. I was looking at dwi for a bit but B&H have better prices, and, it seems, better service. I want the 35mm macro. cant afford it anywhere else.
09-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I nearly fell over when I went to my local camera shop the other day to get enlargements and submit them there for the upcoming photo competition in my area.

I asked about the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 (as I keep hearing nice things about it) ... and he said it was around $2,300 AUD ... I nearly fell over in shock.

C'mon ... these prices are bloody crazy ... there's no way I'd buy a new one from over here for that amount. It's getting close to Canon/Nikon prices now.
09-04-2009, 04:04 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
I know this has been raised recently, I would just like to add my experience today.
Went in to pick up my Sigma 70-200 from warranty repair, and decided to ask the price of FA 50 1.4 and was shocked to be told $699 ozzy dollars, I then decided to ask for the price on the New DA*55mm from Pentax and was told (after him mentioning it's a good lens) was only $1800. The only sound I remember after that was my head hitting the floor during my sudden faint.
Now Please, I know that I can probably purchase these at a slightly cheaper price online,
but I just can't remember the FA50 being so pricey, I am sure when I bought my K20D, this lens was under $300 ozzy.
Why can't Pentax bring out a 50mm 1.8 to match Canon and Nikon?
Depressed
Bottom line,we get ripped off in this country compared to places like the US.Taff,what can we do about it?
09-04-2009, 04:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

For the locals $1000 is the minimum price pre excise duties for goods coming into Oz. And do shop around, scored a FA50 f1.4 for $300 back in March/ April from JB so there are decent buys to be found. As to why such a hefty price hike, who knows. Sigma lenses will be price matched if you cna show the price to CR Kennedy, pity the same deal doesn't apply for Pentax.
Guess I'll just keep hunting older lenses till lenses become more affordable.
09-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

JB are able to pass hefty discounts to their customers, so they're usually good to shop with - if you can find Pentax stuff stocked there. Our local JB only go as far as P&S cams with Pentax...