Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Sigma 17-70

09-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
I know this thread is long and full of caveats and many (very) expert opinions by those with much greater experience with more glass than myself, but I find my Tamron 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 IF AS XR to have been a great investment for my walk-around all purpose lens.

I purchased this lens last fall for $110.00 here on the market place.

Not too many reviews of this lens- odd, since it was quite a popular lens at the time of its release (in 2005, if I'm not mistaken), and it did win awards at the time.

Yes, PF wide open, yes, a bit soft at 200mm. But useable. f/8, awesome. I read one post at the time of purchase where the poster said he felt this lens was actually equal in image quality to the 18-250mm tamron super zoom, and said poster returned the 18-250 and just kept the 28-200.

Full frame, if you ever want to venture into film land you have a very decent walk-around lens.

Seen these recently in the $120.00-$150.00 range.
Thank you for your advice. I've noticed a bunch of these as well. I'll look into them more! Do you have any sample photos from this lens?
09-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
I read one post at the time of purchase where the poster said he felt this lens was actually equal in image quality to the 18-250mm tamron super zoom, and said poster returned the 18-250 and just kept the 28-200.
28mm might be fine on a 35mm film camera, but on a Pentax DSLR it usually does not provide the wide angle aspect that most photographers want for a minimum (which is usually 18mm).

I have a Sigma 28-80mm lens, and it is now relegated to doing macro shots only, because it does not provide enough wide angle aspect for a general-purpose lens.
09-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that jct is looking to maximize budget vs performance. Of course a 28-200 is going to be tighter, but basically what this all boils down to is the fact that all those 28-200mm super zooms are out there from the end of the film era, and they are deeply discounted precisely for the fact that they aren't wide "enough" at 28mm.

I think it all depends on shooting style. I used this lens quite extensively on a trip to the south of France last year. I took along my kit lens exactly for those moments where I wanted 18mm on the wide end. However, due to my shooting style (well, what it's developing into anyways) I maybe took 100 pictures with that lens out of the ~1500 shots I brought back.

Anyways, just wanted to give my experiences with this lens in particular. I do try and avoid 200mm, it IS soft. But ~150mm is not bad, and takes sharpening nicely.

PF occurs at lower apertures, although I don't have too many problems with lateral CA (green or red). PF tends to be less problematic after f/8.

Here's a few shots. Note: I DO POST PROCESS this lens. Usually contrast/exposure adjustments. Sometimes sharpening on either end of the zoom range, but not tons. All of these shots have been PP'ed from RAW. Dragonfly shot was NOT sharpened- only contrast and slight saturation bump.

To me, though, that's the price/performance ratio coming into play. Because I CAN fix some problems with the lens, I'd rather spend the time in PP with a lens I paid 110.00 for, than spend 600-700 on a lens that may not have the same problems.

If I were shooting pro, I'd change my mind. I'd also have the reason and resources to change my mind. But, I know I'd still be in PP as a pro also, so who knows? :-)

Last edited by virgilr; 09-07-2009 at 01:50 PM.
09-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buddy of mine hates his Tamron 28-200 (for Canon) and wants to ditch it ASAP.

Just goes to show...base your decision on an "average" of opinions, and give it a run for yourself.
09-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ryan- good point. I know one thing: everybody can find an excuse. I try and find solutions.

I understand that jpeg shooters who want that "wow" factor right off the memory card are going to be a little more picky than myself. As I said, I consider every shot I take that I feel is valid to be a candidate for some PP. So, that being the case, as long as a lens doesn't have huge short-comings, then I'm willing to play.

Just as in the film days, with digital, the development process (in digital land, PP) is as much as part of the artistry of photography as the moment you hold the viewfinder to your eye. In our current technology state, we expect that to all be taken care of for us by the power of the microprocessor. The thing still doesn't know what I want to see!
09-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'll check it out.

A few other options:

Tamron or Sigma 17-35mm
Does Tamron make a 17-35 for Pentax? I don't think so. At least they don't list Pentax support on the page for this lens.

AF17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF); Tamron USA, Inc.

I did see this zoom range listed on Amazon or perhaps it was Adorama, under the Phoenix brand.

Will
09-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Does Tamron make a 17-35 for Pentax? I don't think so. At least they don't list Pentax support on the page for this lens.

AF17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF); Tamron USA, Inc.

I did see this zoom range listed on Amazon or perhaps it was Adorama, under the Phoenix brand.

Will
Yes they do make in in Pentax Mount. I've seen one online and on the literature for Tamron 28-75. I think they don't list it anymore since it's discontinued. Crap, I don't want this lens to be more and more popular than it already is since I'm still hunting for one