Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very impressive Scott. Some of the best TC images I've seen.

Tom G

09-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I'm using the Bigma as a handheld at 500mm and don't find the weight a problem. I do use the strap supplied so it hangs off my neck taking away the fatigue of carting it around.
09-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Very impressive Scott. Some of the best TC images I've seen.
Hi Tom,

About 90% of my shooting is of birds, and a majority of the time, I'm using one or more TCs. There's always a considerable amount of TC dismissal that goes on in photo fora, and I think that much of that is due to living in the past.

With cropped senors, only the center portion of the image circle is used, so a lens that's superb in the center and excellent at the edges on film will be just superb to (exc +) on an APS-C body. The TC magnifies the center of the image circle, so it's acting on the best of the best part of the image projected by the lens. My feeling is that with premium glass, and a quality TC there is little or no image degradation. I've actually stacked the F !.7x AFA on top of 2 1.4x TCs with the FA*300/2.8 and gotten acceptable results -- and the AF on the K-7 still worked at f9.3 max Av with it's improved sensitivity!

With birds, small ones especially, this works out better than cropping for a couple of reasons: Given the relatively large size of the AF sensor point in Pentax bodies, a TC enlarges the subject , so increases the chances for the AF sensor to get it really right. This also applies to the metering sensor so it's also easier to nail the exposure regardless of metering mode used. For wildlife, it's difficult to get really close, so unless one wants to use setups, hides, and/or camo, you need the reach -- then get as close as you can, but rely on the reach to get the majority of shots.

Scott
09-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
I'm using the Bigma as a handheld at 500mm and don't find the weight a problem. I do use the strap supplied so it hangs off my neck taking away the fatigue of carting it around.
Hi xjjohnno,

I was not by any means knocking the Bigma, nor it's handholdability (if that's even a word) for some people. It's just that at a bit over 2 lbs and 8", the FA*300/4.5 + F 1.7x AFA (510mm f7.7) is a lot easier to handle (even though it's 2/3-stop slower) with this technique than the Bigma @ a bit over 4 lbs and maybe 13" fully extended.

Even tripod mounted, the internally focusing FA*300/4.5 works better with a gimbal than the Bigma since it doesn't change length, and a gimbal relies on a constant balance point to work effectively.

The Bigma is a great lens, and an impressive piece of optical engineering, but just not my weapon of choice for the birding that I do. That's all that I meant by my comment.

BTW, if you carry your Bigma reasonably long distances, you might want to take a look at the Cotton Carrier system. I just got one a few weeks ago. It's pricey, but the easiest way (by a long shot) for me to carry one of my 300/2.8s (at 1-2 lbs heavier than the 50-500) for any length of time -- it's not effortless, but surprisingly close to, and it's miles more comfortable and secure than anything else I've tried with the big glass.

Cotton Carrier Camera Systems

Scott

Scott

09-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I agree -- and stealth technique is important regardless of how long you're shooting. 300mm is about my limit for both portability and afford-ability. With a premium quality 300 f4(or 4.5), you can stretch it to 420 or 510mm and retain AF. This is about the optimum setup if you plan to walk around and take opportunities as they come either handheld, or with a light tripod or monopod.
Thanks Scott, these are stunning pictures.

I agree 100% with what you say. I second your suggestion on using a 300mm lens and to add some teleconverters when needed. My favorite telephoto is the Pentax F*300/4.5. When needed, it can capture great pictures with the Tamron 1.4x TC (420mm) or with the Pentax 1.7x AF TC (510mm). To me, and contrary to a common opinion on the forums, the pictures taken with a teleconverter do look better than crops of pictures taken without teleconverter.

And when you don't want to travel light, a 300/2.8 lens is a very versatile setup. With a good technique and a sturdy tripod, you can use pretty extreme settings. Here's a picture I took some time ago with my K10d, a Tamron Adaptall 300/2.8 wide open and a Kenko 3X Teleplus Pro 300 teleconverter (900mm F/8 equ.) -- here it is, no sharpening :

100% crop:

And this is the same combo at F/5.6 (900mm F/16 equ.):

100% crop:

It surely looks better than a cropped picture taken at 300mm!

Cheers!

Abbazz
09-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Tom,

About 90% of my shooting is of birds, and a majority of the time, I'm using one or more TCs. There's always a considerable amount of TC dismissal that goes on in photo fora, and I think that much of that is due to living in the past.

With cropped senors, only the center portion of the image circle is used, so a lens that's superb in the center and excellent at the edges on film will be just superb to (exc +) on an APS-C body. The TC magnifies the center of the image circle, so it's acting on the best of the best part of the image projected by the lens. My feeling is that with premium glass, and a quality TC there is little or no image degradation. I've actually stacked the F !.7x AFA on top of 2 1.4x TCs with the FA*300/2.8 and gotten acceptable results -- and the AF on the K-7 still worked at f9.3 max Av with it's improved sensitivity!

With birds, small ones especially, this works out better than cropping for a couple of reasons: Given the relatively large size of the AF sensor point in Pentax bodies, a TC enlarges the subject , so increases the chances for the AF sensor to get it really right. This also applies to the metering sensor so it's also easier to nail the exposure regardless of metering mode used. For wildlife, it's difficult to get really close, so unless one wants to use setups, hides, and/or camo, you need the reach -- then get as close as you can, but rely on the reach to get the majority of shots.

Scott
=========

Scott

I've been pretty dismissive of TCs as my own experience with my old K 300/4 and a K T6 2X rear converter was not the best. It is a totally manual focus/manual exposure rig and the results were pretty poor. You images above have laid that theory to rest. Of course I have to find the coins for an FA 300/2.8 and a really good TC.

Tom G