Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Good experience renting DA 15 and 60-250

I went to Glacier National Park a few weeks back and wanted some nice glass that would do the scenery justice. I couldn't afford to buy what I wanted, so I rented from cameralensrentals.com. I was hesitant as I didn't want to ruin the trip if they let me down, but I was really pleased with their service. The lenses came a day early, packaged securely with all the accessories including lens pouches, and most importantly were in great shape. I wouldn't hesitate using them again.

As for the lenses, I don't really feel qualified at this point to give a detailed review and haven't used other quality glass to compare, but I got some shots that I was really pleased with. Here are a few samples. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

From the 15mm:

From the 60-250:

09-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series, I wanna be there too. Where did you rent the lenses from?

Tim
09-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamiep Quote
i went to glacier national park a few weeks back and wanted some nice glass that would do the scenery justice. I couldn't afford to buy what i wanted, so i rented from cameralensrentals.com. I was hesitant as i didn't want to ruin the trip if they let me down, but i was really pleased with their service. The lenses came a day early, packaged securely with all the accessories including lens pouches, and most importantly were in great shape. I wouldn't hesitate using them again.

As for the lenses, i don't really feel qualified at this point to give a detailed review and haven't used other quality glass to compare, but i got some shots that i was really pleased with. Here are a few samples. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

(.......)
09-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Nice series, I wanna be there too. Where did you rent the lenses from?

Tim
CameraLensRentals.com - Canon, Nikon and Pentax Lens Rentals

It was awesome there. Make the trip if you can (before the glaciers melt ). I'm going to Zion in November. I hope to buy one of these lenses before then and will probably rent the other again.

09-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

That first shot alone makes the trip look like once in a lifetime. Nice series but I would blow up the first one and make a mural for my wall if I could. Great shot.

Agree on assessment of cameralensrentals.com. I am returning a Bigma to them tomorrow with tears in my eyes. I had fun but sure did not have anything to show for it like you did.
09-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote
I went to Glacier National Park a few weeks back and wanted some nice glass that would do the scenery justice. I couldn't afford to buy what I wanted, so I rented from cameralensrentals.com. I was hesitant as I didn't want to ruin the trip if they let me down, but I was really pleased with their service. The lenses came a day early, packaged securely with all the accessories including lens pouches, and most importantly were in great shape. I wouldn't hesitate using them again.

As for the lenses, I don't really feel qualified at this point to give a detailed review and haven't used other quality glass to compare, but I got some shots that I was really pleased with. Here are a few samples. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.
Well done! Very clean compositions!
09-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #7

Thanks for the tip and congrats on some amazing images! :-)
09-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Constructive criticism - how about great shots!! It looks like someone was staying at Many Glacier hotel and hiking to Iceberg Lake! Thanks for sharing the photos. I was on the fence about the 21mm and the 15mm and this was exactly the trip that was the center of the dilemma. Looks like the 15mm worked out great for you! I was noticing you were doing a great job of including the foreground in your shots. I find myself on my knees when doing wide-angle work. Nice shots. I have the 60-250mm arriving today.

09-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

CameraLensRentals.com - Canon, Nikon and Pentax Lens Rentals

It was awesome there. Make the trip if you can (before the glaciers melt ). I'm going to Zion in November. I hope to buy one of these lenses before then and will probably rent the other again.
I was wondering where I would go for a Sunday drive this week. Maybe we'll go there. BTW, I'm not kidding - Glacier is a day trip for us. We always go East to West because it follows the sun. We are about three hours drive from St. Mary's, so we leave here about 9 am, have lunch in St. Mary's, wander over the top at our leisure, and get home the same day, returning North through Eureka/Grassmere.

Great shots. The bear grass (foreground in first shot) is having a bloom season this year. There is usually some, but it is spectacular this year. Last bloom was five years ago, I think. We've been to Waterton a couple of times this year, and it's a great year for it. Waterton + Glacier is the first international peace park, 1932.
09-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Beautiful shots. I really like #4. The softness of the clouds and the water contrast wonderfully with the sharpness of that shark tooth-like butte.

I hope to buy one of these lenses before then and will probably rent the other again.
Though they serve completely different purposes, I'm curious which of the two are you considering purchasing?

Last edited by wasser; 09-04-2009 at 01:06 PM.
09-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #11

awesome dude --- SWEET

Kman
09-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Very nice!

Looks like you were favouring the 15--probably the more comfortable one to wear around your neck!
09-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, they are great to deal with. Used them twice now, first for the Tamron 70-200 and second for the Bigma. Tammy arrived a day early. Bigma would have too, but they held off shipping it since the credit card I had used had since expired and they couldn't process it (booked it 3 months in advance). After calling many times throughout the day and not getting a hold of me, they shipped it anyway, just to be sure I would have it in time. After many apologies and feeling like an idiot, I did have to laugh a bit when listening to the messages afterwards, as each one was a bit more excited than the last. But so far, A+ service from these guys!
09-05-2009, 02:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Great shots, especially the 15mm ones, I love them. I've never looked into renting lenses but could be a good option if I ever go on any once-in-a-lifetimes holidays.
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Though they serve completely different purposes, I'm curious which of the two are you considering purchasing?
I'm really torn. I live in Ohio where the "vistas" don't quite live up to Montana, so I had the 60-250 (for wildlife) and DA 40 (for normal perspective on trail) on my wishlist. Renting the 15 was my first time doing a lot of wide shooting and I loved it. Now I'm thinking I could get get the 15 and 40 for less than the 60 -250.

Only problem with that approach is that it will be really tricky trying to sneak up close to these guys with those lenses

Those were also take at Glacier with the 60-250. Didn't include them earlier- the lens did it's job but tough lighting (and knocking knees) kept them from being better shots.

Last edited by JamieP; 09-05-2009 at 12:38 PM.