Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
18-55 WR and 50-200 WR

Anyone bought these lenses to use with the K-7?

I am looking for some comments on these lenses as they seem to be the most reasonably priced WR lenses. The K-7's WR will not mean much if the lenses are not WR don't u think?

09-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think the WRs are tailor-made for K-7 as they are optically the same as their non-WR versions. As for the K-7, the faster DA* lenses would pair better with any of the supported Pentax dSLRs including the flagship K-7, whereas the WRs should work with any Pentax dSLRs.

My non-WR versions of 18-55 II and 50-200 are pleasingly sharp for my taste and I use them a lot on my K-20, so I am actually curious about using the WRs on my K20D for the upcoming winter.

Last edited by EsBee; 09-03-2009 at 09:55 PM.
09-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I am looking for some comments on these lenses as they seem to be the most reasonably priced WR lenses. The K-7's WR will not mean much if the lenses are not WR don't u think?
It might not mean *as much* as if you use sealed lenses, but it doesn't completely negate the value of the sealing on the camera, no. It means you can use the camera in the rain without worrying abut ruining your camera - only the lens. And the lens does not contain the same sort of complex electronics that are likely to get ruined by rain. I don't use my most expensive lenses in the rain, but feel fine about the cheaper ones like these.

OK, some who like to worry might complain that it is possible a stray water droplet will enter the lens and somehow defy gravity and logic and work its way into the camera. If you're the type to worry about such things, I'm probably not going to talk you out of it. I'll just say I've never had any such problem. I try to keep the mount itself dry, block rain with my hand while actually shooting, or protecting it with my coat while just walking around.

I figure, I've already got the non-sealed lenses. If they get ruined, I'll replaced them with sealed versions. But I see no reason to do so until / unless it becomes necessary. on the other hand, if I had no lenses already and as considering these, sure, I'd pay the extra $50 to get the sealed versions.
09-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah there is no way i'd pont up the dough for the same optics at that price. you can take both of mine for well under $200!

09-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I figure, I've already got the non-sealed lenses. If they get ruined, I'll replaced them with sealed versions. But I see no reason to do so until / unless it becomes necessary. on the other hand, if I had no lenses already and as considering these, sure, I'd pay the extra $50 to get the sealed versions.
This is a good idea. Never thought of it this way. Thanks

I am going to upgrade to the K-7 soon. Should I then get the K-7 with WR kit lens then? It looks like it is cheaper to get the kit lens bundle than to get it as a separate item
09-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stick a plastic bag over the lens and up over the camera - but it doesn't matter if the camera gets wet. It's a nice feeling not having to worry about the camera.