Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks for the comments.
The old 70-200 is a keeper - hope to see some of your results to complement some of those already posted.
I'm going to go back this weekend and hopefully it's still there. They're asking $650 US which is a bit high IMHO, but on the otherhand if it's really as good as everyone says then I have no problem paying this price. Though I'm sure I'll be able to bargain them down a bit. We shall see, and I'll definitely post samples once I do get it.

As for my 55-300, it is not in the same league as the 70-200s. Comparisons would be unfair, but even at the same apertures, 70-200 images still come out more brilliant, needing less PP to bring out the best of the images it produces.

Having said that, I am amazed by what the 55-300 is capable of producing, even at MFD. Remember that the Tamron has no trouble getting very sharp images at the 55-300's full stretch (f/4.5, 200mm, 1.4m subject distance). And at f/8, the differences become less noticeable, but I still favour the 70-200's microcontrast - colours are brilliant in both. IMO, the 55-300 is worth more than it's being sold for.
Thanks for the "unfair" comparison, Ash. The reason I asked is because my original plan had been to get the DA55-300 and complement it with some primes such as the DA70 and FA*200 (I already have the FA*). However, seeing the Sigma made me think and I realized I could use the wider aperture of the Sigma more than the longer range of the DA55-300. And there's always the option of pairing the Sigma with a 1.4x TC to get me close to 300 (although it's my understanding that the better TC's are getting pricey).

I agree that the DA55-300 seems like an outstanding buy - I'm been seeing a lot of impressive samples lately. I may eventually end up getting one anyways as I think it would make a better travel lens than the Sigma. And I'll probably get the DA70 too as I don't think the Sigma can entirely replace it, though I'll probably have to unload the FA*200 to fund all of these lens purchases (which I won't have a problem with if the Sigma proves good enough).

09-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #77
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Indeed for travelling, the 55-300 will fit nicely in your camera bag whereas the 70-200 will either need a separate bag or will need to be on the camera body and packed in a large camera bag with not much else that can fit in it - something's gotta give.

That's what I have both and I've decided to keep it that way (I did think of passing on the 55-300 if I was happy with the Tamron, but now I'm happy with both!).
09-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

How about the 55-135 2.8 with a TC instead?
09-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #79
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's another option, of course, though a 50-135/2.8 becomes approx. a 70-200/4 with a 1.4x TC. In having a 70-200/2.8, I can make that approx. a 100-280/4 with the TC - without considerable loss of IQ.

09-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
I'm going to go back this weekend and hopefully it's still there. They're asking $650 US which is a bit high IMHO, but on the otherhand if it's really as good as everyone says then I have no problem paying this price. Though I'm sure I'll be able to bargain them down a bit. We shall see, and I'll definitely post samples once I do get it.
So I went back to the store and sadly the lens was gone. From the sounds of it, it got sold not too long after my last visit.

Oh well, next plan is to try the auction sites, or maybe this is a sign for me to consider the Tamron...
09-28-2009, 04:02 AM   #81
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Consider the Tamron only if you are prepared to send it back in for a repair of a stuck aperture lever.
It may not happen with yours, but I have had two with the same problem and am currently negotiating with B&H to have it repaired.
09-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #82

Consider the Tamron only if you are prepared to send it back in for a repair of a stuck aperture lever.
It may not happen with yours, but I have had two with the same problem and am currently negotiating with B&H to have it repaired.
Thanks for the heads-up, that definitely puts a damper on this idea for me. I guess I'll search around some more for the old Sigma.

On the subject of TC's, I also came across a Sigma 1.4x at that same store. I'm not sure if it was the EX APO version as I just gave it a passing glance, but I'm thinking of trying it out. It is said that the Sigma TC is not suitable for all lenses as the front element protrudes a bit, but that shouldn't be a problem for my FA*200.

Anyways, I hope you can get your problems resolved soon - that must be very frustrating!
09-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #83
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
Thanks for the heads-up, that definitely puts a damper on this idea for me. I guess I'll search around some more for the old Sigma.

On the subject of TC's, I also came across a Sigma 1.4x at that same store. I'm not sure if it was the EX APO version as I just gave it a passing glance, but I'm thinking of trying it out. It is said that the Sigma TC is not suitable for all lenses as the front element protrudes a bit, but that shouldn't be a problem for my FA*200.

Anyways, I hope you can get your problems resolved soon - that must be very frustrating!
Thanks mate.
Well as long as the issue's fixed I have no qualms. I really like how the Tamron handles and renders images.

The older Sigma would be a tough one to find - I haven't seen it all that often on the forum's marketplace, but hope you get lucky.

TC compatibility is a nagging problem - best to do your research well on it...

09-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #84

Thanks mate.
Well as long as the issue's fixed I have no qualms. I really like how the Tamron handles and renders images.

The older Sigma would be a tough one to find - I haven't seen it all that often on the forum's marketplace, but hope you get lucky.

TC compatibility is a nagging problem - best to do your research well on it...
Yes, hopefully they can fix it well and the problem won't come back. The Tamron does seem fantastic otherwise. By the way, how do you find the performance at midlengths (90-135mm)?
09-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #85
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No complaint on my part.
135mm is supposed to be its weak point, but even wide open I find it hard to fault the lens.
There are some samples posted up on the forum at 135mm wide open - very fine examples.
09-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #86

No complaint on my part.
135mm is supposed to be its weak point, but even wide open I find it hard to fault the lens.
There are some samples posted up on the forum at 135mm wide open - very fine examples.
Yes, I had read about that in some reviews. Anyways, I'll go look for those posts. Thanks!
09-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #87
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well here's a large set of test shots with the lens done some time ago by Jay:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/38885-tamron-7...est-shots.html
10-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #88

Well here's a large set of test shots with the lens done some time ago by Jay:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/38885-tamron-7...est-shots.html
Wow, a lot of incredible shots in that thread (I went through the entire thread)! The Tamron is getting very had to resist now - I really doubt that the old Sigma can beat (or even match) that level of performance. And Jay mentioned in that thread that the Tamron does very well for portraiture in the range of 70-100mm - this is exactly what I am looking for. I am VERY tempted!

However, the stuck aperture problem still worries me. Thinking I should wait a while, but I really can't with the fall colours approaching. Should I chance it? Hmm...
10-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #89
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
All I can say is be prepared to have to send it back, losing some time in the process.
Now if ALL you're after is portraits and 77mm is a FL that suits you OK... look no further than an FA 77/1.8 ltd - The 70-200's good, but it still ain't as good as that little gem... and is much less likely to give you any trouble at all.
10-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #90

All I can say is be prepared to have to send it back, losing some time in the process.
Now if ALL you're after is portraits and 77mm is a FL that suits you OK... look no further than an FA 77/1.8 ltd - The 70-200's good, but it still ain't as good as that little gem... and is much less likely to give you any trouble at all.
Well, I am after portraits, but I also like the flexibility of a fast 70-200 zoom. Basically, I want it all - is this too much to ask for? :-)

I've gotten some good portraits with my FA*200, but on a cropped sensor it's just too long sometimes - I'm restricted to outdoor portraits.

Actually, my original plan had been to get the DA55-300 and DA70, before I stumbled upon that old Sigma and realized how good these 70-200/2.8 zooms were.

Anyways, if I do end up going with the Tamron I'll stick to buying new, and from a legit retailer. I'm going to head out and take some photos now. Cheers!