Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did Tokina make gold lenses to match the LX?

No relation to the seller at all, but I came across these Tokina lenses on ebay that look like they'd match that special edition gold LX:

TOKINA LENSES - eBay (item 250492854852 end time Sep-10-09 12:02:41 PDT)

The seller doesn't say what camera they are for, but it seems like it's likely they'd be for Pentax... or was there another camera styled like the gold LX?

I'd read about the gold Vivitar lenses, but I don't recall reading about Tokina making gold lenses... anyone else know more about these?

09-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may be my taste (and there is no accounting for taste), but those two lenses look ghastly! I suspect that the current finish and trim reflect the customization efforts of the owner!

Steve
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Omg... hideous just my personal taste of course (and I usually love gold, I think it's the alligator / snake skin that made it a bit too much for me)
09-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The pattern of the leather looks like it would be a better match to the Nikon FA gold edition rather then the Pentax LX gold.

09-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The pattern of the leather looks like it would be a better match to the Nikon FA gold edition rather then the Pentax LX gold.
Ah, so Nikon also had a gold camera? Let's see... yes, here we go:

Nikon FA Gold

And the gold Pentax LX:

Pentax LX Special GOLD Edition, 1981 -Gallery ONE

It doesn't look to me like the snakeskin leather is that much of a better match for the Nikon vs. the Pentax... the one thing I will say is that the "gold" on the Tokina lenses doesn't look anything like the gold plating on either the Pentax or Nikon, which is very shiny and reflective, whereas the Tokina lenses look more matte. Maybe they were custom-modified? Or Tokina just didn't finish them in real gold? They certainly don't look like the gold Vivitar lenses:

Vivitar Gold Lenses

And yes, I find the style really hideous. Though I imagine those gold cameras would look ok around the neck of a rapper driving a gold Bentley with snakeskin seats...
09-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
...the one thing I will say is that the "gold" on the Tokina lenses doesn't look anything like the gold plating on either the Pentax or Nikon, which is very shiny and reflective, whereas the Tokina lenses look more matte...
I think the "gold" on the lenses is of the Krylon* variety.

Steve

*Brand of canned spray paint in the U.S.