Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManixZero Quote
In reply to Reeftool and Marc, I agree!

Also....

I have a Tamron 70-300mm LD Di etc. and an old Vivitar K mount 70-300mm (Not the same as the big long "Tubes" I know)

And to be honest the Tamron is better in many ways. Firstly it's contrast is much better (possibly due to more advanced modern coatings) secondly its better to focus with (and I'm someone who's first AF lens was the kit with my K100D 2 years ago so didn't consider it as important when buying the vivitar) - focus is difficult with the limited depth of field and no optical focus aids - thirdly it's much lighter.

However the Vivitar is a "Classic" that I'll probably never use again now I have the Tamron

I know there are much better lenses and I also know there are much better cameras but I take photos because I love too and all of my kit suits that purpose.

I don't think pursuit of ultimate quality is a bad thing either and if I could afford to I'd love the best kit.

But for now I'm happy to wrangle the best out of what I can afford!
(Plus I can always blame my cheapo kit when I get a decent shot!!

Cheerz MZ
My long lens solutions are a Sigma 70-300 which came as part of the package deal when I got my camera and an old Takumar 200mm/f4 and a M42 2x Vivitar converter. I have had very good results with the Sigma, especially lately. That is another lens that is often dismissed right off. I haven't had the chance to really use the Tak with the converter much this summer because the weather has been just so horrible that my outdoor shooting has been somewhat limited. I had hoped to use the Tak and 2X for getting shots of our very shy Herons but they haven't been around much this year in the regular places because the water levels were high. A long tube lens would work for these guys as I'm outside in usually good light and they stay put long enough to focus. I found them only twice this summer and I didn't have the Tak with me. I have been getting by with the Sigma and cropping. I have a kid in college so I don't have a lot of extra to plop down on lenses. I'm also considering the mirror lens option.

09-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Hate to be pedantic Marc (but I can't help it )... Preset generally refers to an aperture mechanism which is not coupled to the camera, but is adjustable on the lens - you pre-set the aperture before shooting the picture.
You're right, of course. I suppose "fixed aperture" is the proper term for these, but listings on ebay and so forth for these lenses do often refer to them as "preset". And of course, I keep referring to them as "refracting telescope" type lenses, in quotes - all because I don't know if there is a proper terms for these lenses. "Long hollow tube" works too...
09-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You're right, of course. I suppose "fixed aperture" is the proper term for these, but listings on ebay and so forth for these lenses do often refer to them as "preset". And of course, I keep referring to them as "refracting telescope" type lenses, in quotes - all because I don't know if there is a proper terms for these lenses. "Long hollow tube" works too...
The aperture types are automatic, preset and manual.
  • Automatic is open for focus and stops down automatically on exposure.
  • Preset lenses have two aperture rings the first of which is click stopped so you don't have to look or count clicks when stopping down to the taking aperture, just flick the free moving ring from one position to the opposite.
  • Manual apertures require you to look and/or count clicks.
Automatic could be subdivided into the camera control only (FA-J, DA) and ones that still have aperture rings on the lens.
09-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I keep referring to them as "refracting telescope" type lenses, in quotes - all because I don't know if there is a proper terms for these lenses. "Long hollow tube" works too...
I know what you mean. The term used to be simply "long lens" (or "long focal length"), but now people think of this term as interchangeable with "telephoto." So it doesn't work to convey what you mean. You could say "non-telephoto long lens." but that's just as unwieldy, if not more so, as any of the others.

09-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
I know what you mean. The term used to be simply "long lens" (or "long focal length"), but now people think of this term as interchangeable with "telephoto." So it doesn't work to convey what you mean. You could say "non-telephoto long lens." but that's just as unwieldy, if not more so, as any of the others.
And worse, because to most people "telephoto" *means* long focal length, not "lens whose physical length is shorter than its focal length" or anything like that. So non-telephoto long lens would imply to most people a physically long wide angle or normal lens - either that, or it would appear to be an oxymoron.