Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Manual lens troubles

Hi, new to the forum so go easy Baught myself an old 50mm prime for my *ist DL and am having some trouble using it. Managed to adjust the settings to allow me to take pictures, but the aperture ring doesn't seem to change anything in the pics... Allot of my pictures seem to be coming out overexposed. The only control i have over the lens is through the focus ring..

can anyone help?
do i just need to bite the bullet and buy a digital lens $$$

09-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If the f-stop indicator on the LCD is blinking F--, you need to set the custom menu setting to "Allow aperture ring use"
09-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #3

Not sure about the *ist series, but if you are in manual you need to hit the green button, if you have one. If in Av, it always meters wide open and you need to adjust your Ev comp. No expert here, but I may be correct.
09-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Why do you have to use the green button? When changing the shutter speed in manual mode there's a difference in exposure. Hmm.....so this means you use the green button every time you change aperture (using the aperture ring) ?

09-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When using a m or k len series lens the only way to meter for a aperture that is not wide open is to put the camera in manual and press the green button. The green button will stop down the lens and get a exposure.
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Banned

I have no idea how the setting might differ on a istDL, but this will at least be useful in showing how a manual K mount lens can be used on a digital SLR body.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
09-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I have the DS. You have to set the aperture on the lens to what you want. Then point at target, hit green button, focus and shoot.That is for M lenses or early K mount.

If you want to play with speeds. Just set the aperture, hit the green button, and then adjust speed up or down to get the look you want.
I shoot this way a lot.

09-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And the aperture will only stop down if you are in M or X on the mode dial. Any other setting will result in Av and the digitals don't have the aperture trace so the lens will only work wide open in Av.

Another note - if you don't like using the green button to have the camera automatically set the shutter speed for you, you can use a scale instead. Set the preview to optical preview and when you pull the power switch into preview mode in M, the display will be a scale in both the top LCD and the viewfinder. Works just like the black needle on my KX.
09-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
thanks for all the quick replies, had a little look and i dont think there is any 'green button' on my camera. Just off to have a play around, will get back to you.

Thanks
09-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fra-zzr Quote
thanks for all the quick replies, had a little look and i dont think there is any 'green button' on my camera. Just off to have a play around, will get back to you.

Thanks

your 'green button' is the AE-L button.
09-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #11

Original Poster
Right, was shooting in auto mode, just changed it to manual mode and managed to get the aperture ring responding. Had a little play with the AE-L button but cant work out what it does?

thanks.
09-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #12

Original Poster
hmm it locks the shutter speed? when would this be usefull?

thanks ... again
09-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hmm it locks the shutter speed? when would this be usefull?

thanks ... again
Your AE-L button and my green button stop the lens down briefly, take an exposure reading and set the metered shutter speed for that aperture and whatever the lens is looking at. I still prefer the scale method unless I am in a panic.
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, new to the forum so go easy Baught myself an old 50mm prime for my *ist DL and am having some trouble using it. Managed to adjust the settings to allow me to take pictures, but the aperture ring doesn't seem to change anything in the pics... Allot of my pictures seem to be coming out overexposed. The only control i have over the lens is through the focus ring..

can anyone help?
do i just need to bite the bullet and buy a digital lens $$$
Exactly what "old 50mm prime" did you get? Different mounts require different methods to operate them.

Thanks
That's because the *ist has no "green button". I believe, with manual lenses, you accomplish the same function by pressing the AE-L button.

Here's a link about using manual lenses on the *ist DS:

http://www.mile23.com/node/26
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I have no idea how the setting might differ on a istDL, but this will at least be useful in showing how a manual K mount lens can be used on a digital SLR body.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
séamuis thanks for that link, very helpfull